Leadership on the pitch

Bronson

One thing I noticed during the game yesterday was how the Partick captain rallied his teammates and drive them on following our equaliser. 

Not everyone believes that a captain needs to be screaming at everyone all the time, but I feel that we are lacking a natural leader on the pitch. 

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Bronson said:

One thing I noticed during the game yesterday was how the Partick captain rallied his teammates and drive them on following our equaliser. 

Not everyone believes that a captain needs to be screaming at everyone all the time, but I feel that we are lacking a natural leader on the pitch. 

so who would you replace Carl with?

2 hours ago, caleyboy said:

so who would you replace Carl with?

I'd replace him with Aaron. Carl, I feel, has past his prime, and is simply there to provide experience and to teach the youngsters the tricks he's learned over the years. No disrespect to Carl, love the man, but I feel he's either leaving the club or hanging up his boots at the end of the season. Can see him moving on to coaching afterwards, he has gone and done a thing with "The Other Foot" or whatever it's called, so he's either back off down to England or player/managing in the Highland League...

• Like 1

There's maybe a few candidates who should be more vocal on the pitch, having the captain do it is, I think, somehow outdated, the captain is more of a figurehead of the club/team now. I'd expect the centrebacks to communicate better with one of them taking control of situations. Middle of the park should be dictating the play vocally as well as with the ball. 

Thinking about it , it's strange how often you hear the away team more than us during the game.

Everyone is allowed an off day and while I know you're not suggesting that the club change the captain on the back of Saturday, I do think it's a common misconception that your captain always has to be vocal and shouting instructions at players.

Knowing how much of a professional Carl is he'll be his harshest critic.

It's not just what you see on the pitch either: it's about what happens in the dressing room and on the training field; it's about how the individual projects themselves both on and off the pitch; it's about how they represent the club in a wider vain and not just on the pitch. Their ability to pass lessons onto younger players, interact with the backroom team, handle press conferences and the media after games, the list is endless. 

If Carl is not the type of player that barks orders at people then that particular role should be passed onto the vice-captain, someone who has different leadership abilities but compliments Carl. 

On the whole I believe every player has to take responsibility for their own actions and display while in the team and ultimately everyone is different, not everyone is a natural leader nor feel comfortable being vocal towards others. Also others don;t take too kindly to being barked at all the time.

• Agree 1