Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Ayr United -V- Inverness CT

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

IMG_20191005_193139.jpg

Great result but this was the best bit about the game today! 

Is that the new Ayr Utd manager in waiting asking for some tips 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Waddington said:

Turns out the Ayr fans were mocking Rooney over the loss of his mum. Absolute rats. Hope they get banned.

Screenshot_20191005-191349_Twitter.jpg

I do hope this has been reported to Ayr FC and all other agencies.   No use showing Red Cards against racism when such despicable behaviour still exists.  Ayr “fans” should be thoroughly ashamed of some of their number.  They know who they are so, name and shame.  

 

  • Agree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, lizi said:

I do hope this has been reported to Ayr FC and all other agencies.   No use showing Red Cards against racism when such despicable behaviour still exists.  Ayr “fans” should be thoroughly ashamed of some of their number.  They know who they are so, name and shame.  

 

That was shocking behaviour. 

Shaun has been through a tragic experience and no one should have to be subjected to abuse. 

Credit to him for shutting them up with an assist and a goal. 

Well done Shaun!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reports of the home fans' despicable  taunts must be answered severely by Ayr United Board (note that I said Board and not just the Manager). Failure to do so should lead to a complaint to the SFA if the latter still exists in Scotland. Appalling behaviour and the local newspaper should make a comment notable only for it's strident calling -out of such fans. I have never heard of such callous and contemptible behaviour as this at any other public event.

I'll quit whilst I am ahead and as I remember the desolation I felt when my mother dropped dead in the house many years ago from a stroke.....!

 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great result today after last week's aberration,  well done all especially Shaun Rooney - let's not dwell on any negative allegations about any Ayr fans actions - no point in giving any such behaviour the oxygen if publicity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a lot of fun. Didn't look like it was going to be early on as Ayr cut through us twice in the opening 10 minutes - really smart goalkeeping from Ridgers saved us on both occasions. By the time Sean Welsh went off injured the game had settled into the kind of attritional midfield stalemate that turned out to be perfectly suited to the skill-set of Charlie 'Harum Scarum' Trafford who went on to have an excellent game as did Vincent alongside him. I didn't get a great view of the first goal but it seemed that a Rooney cross found Vincent in the box who knocked it home (?deflection) while White was on the ground - Ayr fans are claiming he was offside and intefering with play. We kicked on from there and were the better team for the remainder of the half. 

Ayr went at us at the start of the second but we defended well on the edge of our box. Donaldson grew into the game after a shaky start and sparked what will surely go down as one the best moments of the season when he lashed a clearance up the line shortly after the hour mark. I assumed that it was going out for a throw-in and would've been happy enough with that outcome, but as the ball crossed the half-way line we were shocked to see Shaun Rooney lingering around the touch-line, comfortably further forward than any other Caley Thistle player. "What's Rooney doing there?", was the first reaction, but Shaun knew exactly what he was doing  - he pulled the ball out off the air, drove past his opposing full-back and steamed on into the box without ever considering anything other than cooly slotting it past the keeper. Wild celebrations ensued. 

Ayr kept coming at us, there was a bit of desperate defending and another couple of very good saves from Ridgers but we had the better chances on the break (McGregor took a touch too many when through on goal just before Rooney's majestic moment, James Vincent missed a sitter when clean through after) and ultimately saw the game out through sheer fight and desire. 

White picked up where he left with Ayr last season - they really can't handle him and while he didn't contribute much on the ball, I thought he was key to getting us back in the game by unsettling the Ayr defence. IHE will be on shortly to disagree. Storey had his best game so far, playing wide right and finding more space than anyone else seemed able to. But today belonged to Rooney - that boy definitely has the makings of a 'Highland Hero'. 

Edited by Caley Stan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed the first 10 minutes, when it looks like Ayr could have gone two or three ahead, because I was standing queuing at the ticket portakabin  with @RiG for quarter of an hour and then we found that they'd closed all the turnstiles and we had to get let in through the main entrance. Struggling a wee bit to see how that's supposed to improve efficiency, tbh.

It was a really disciplined, hardworking performance from ICT. It looks like Robertson and Kellacher are more focused on coaching players on their individual roles than either Foran or Hughes were: Doran is tracking back and covering Tremarco far more then he used to, and Storey did the same really well on the opposite flank and provided real strength there, which is obviously necessary for us when Rooney goes off on his peregrinations. I thought Storey would be absolutely useless if not played through the middle, but he did an excellent job yesterday. Vincent worked his socks off in the middle and Trafford did fine when he came on, although it is going to be a big blow for us if Welsh does turn out to be long-term injured again.  I thought Ayr played some lovely stuff going forward - some great interplay between Forrest, Kelly and Moffat, and McCowan looked dangerous too - but Donaldson in particular dealt with them really well. And Rooney is just an absolute force of nature at the moment, and looks like he's loving playing for us. He's probably always going to struggle defensively if he's up against a fast, tricky left winger, but those rampages forward have been getting more and more audacious and basically made the difference between the teams yesterday. It's an absolute nap that he's going to get caught out at some point soon, and some team is going to ruin us on a counter-attack down our right, but it's worth it. Biggest cult hero we've had since Tokely.

When I first saw the tweet about him getting abuse about his mum's death, my instinct was to not to believe it, simply because why on earth would anyone want to shout that sort of thing at someone else, but if it was his partner who tweeted it then it must be true, as she's not going to say something like that lightly. I'm sure, though, it'll just have been one or two utter morons who don't represent the attitudes of ordinary Ayr supporters in any way, shape or form. It would be nice if it was reported so the club was able to act appropriately.           

  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                              ME, YOU AND PIKACHU    

                      image.png

It was the day that the Highland Pokemon prevailed in deepest Ayrshire and I am sure that Pikachu was envious of the lightning strike by Shaun Rooney in the second half. It was my first “live” game of the season and the fare served up by the Caley Jags enthused and surprised me. That was as solid a team performance that I have witnessed for some time. We could have been ahead in the first minute when Miles Storey outpaced the Ayr defence but then dragged his shot slightly wide. And then game ten minutes of Ayr dominance. I felt that Ridgers kept us in the game three times, especially saves from McCowan and Moffat. Then on the half hour the away support lamented the substitution of Sean Welsh who hobbled off with yet another injury. But within seconds we were celebrating a contentious opening goal. Not many would have been surprised if the referee had stopped play to allow treatment for the poleaxed Jordan White, lying prostrate in front of the Ayr goal. But the referee played on and JAMES VINCENT appeared to deflect home a Rooney cross. Not exactly a carbon copy of his Hampden clincher but very important none the less. And I thought that we controlled the game thereafter. We were wholly solid defensively and looked dangerous on the break. The midfield certainly worked their socks off. Ayr’s final touch or shooting was well off although Ridgers did save us twice more in the second half, especially one save where he appeared to turn himself in the air when the initial shot was deflected. Roddy McGregor should have notched a second after the break but he hesitated and he who hesitates is lost. And then what must be a contender for goal of the season. In the 64th minute Donaldson punted upfield and SHAUN ROONEY remarkably kept the ball in play, swiveled, sped inside and as cool as a feckin cucumber  slotted the ball home. Rooney could have claimed a second late on when Todorov failed to execute the through ball with Rooney sure to overlap again. Doran really should have made it three but slashed at the ball from the penalty spot. That completed another fine away day and the long journey home was worth it. Robbo’s after match comments summed it up and perhaps he really does think that Ayr are more of a danger than the Tannadice bunch - "We are only eight games in, but it is important that we are still there at the top of the table. We faced the best team in the Championship today and we asked the players to put on a performance, show their character and that's what they did in some style."

                      image.png

And so to the Smileymometer and my apologies to the short-sighted Caley Stan !!  😉

RIDGERS  (*****)  On many a day he would have been MOM but he was outshone on the day by a Ross Tokely lookalike.

ROONEY  (*****) + Looking forward to seeing a replay of that goal. But apart from that he was solid at the back and always looked a danger when going forward – which he did menacingly on a regular basis.

DONALDSON (****) Looked more assured and far much more like his old composed self. Perhaps his fitness has hit the 100% mark ?

McCART (***) Tends to play in the shadow of Coll but he also looked assured and that central defence partnership will be a very important building block for the remainder of the season.

TREMARCO (***) Appeared to concentrate more on defensive duties which may well be his remit from now on.

VINCENT (***) Playmaker in the first half and very effective. Quieter in the second but defensively solid.

WELSH (**) Another bitter blow and leg injury allowed only 30 minutes of holding midfield at its best.

McGREGOR (***) Very lively, sharp and pacy. Some nice touches but too easily knocked off the ball. Did look like a wee boy on a pitch of men. But he can only improve and he does have the required potential.

DORAN (**) Never does shine when the game is mostly about defending. Has lost some pace and that shows at this level.

WHITE (**) Poor Jordan is simply not my cup of tea. His height and presence does attract central defenders but he does nothing in the air and his hold up play is lacking. His main contribution was the first goal assist !!

STOREY (***) If only he had that bit of panache and composure to add to the lightning pace – he really would be wearing a magic hat. More effective out wide though.

TRAFFORD (****) He more than successfully filled the boots of Welsh. He was winning everything in central midfield.

CARSON (***) Evidently taken on to beef up the midfield. The complete opposite of McGregor. No nonsense needed in a game of this ilk.

TODOROV (***) Still not the final product but I feel he is more mobile, is a better holder and has more pace than any other forward at the club. Probably a better foil for Storey as well

 

It says that the attendance was 1912 but there looked a lot more than that – although the migration of Honest Men at the start and half time may have confused me. There were not many in the home end at full time though. My thanks to all, on and off the pitch, for making my first away day of the season a very enjoyable and wet one - and that surprising includes Kenny McLean :drinking06:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

                              ME, YOU AND PIKACHU    

                      image.png

 

 

 

 

It was the day that the Highland Pokemon prevailed in deepest Ayrshire and I am sure that Pikachu was envious of the lightning strike by Shaun Rooney in the second half. It was my first “live” game of the season and the fare served up by the Caley Jags enthused and surprised me. That was as solid a team performance that I have witnessed for some time. We could have been ahead in the first minute when Miles Storey outpaced the Ayr defence but then dragged his shot slightly wide. And then game ten minutes of Ayr dominance. I felt that Ridgers kept us in the game three times, especially saves from McCowan and Moffat. Then on the half hour the away support lamented the substitution of Sean Welsh who hobbled off with yet another injury. But within seconds we were celebrating a contentious opening goal. Not many would have been surprised if the referee had stopped play to allow treatment for the poleaxed Jordan White, lying prostrate in front of the Ayr goal. But the referee played on and JAMES VINCENT appeared to deflect home a Rooney cross. Not exactly a carbon copy of his Hampden clincher but very important none the less. And I thought that we controlled the game thereafter. We were wholly solid defensively and looked dangerous on the break. The midfield certainly worked their socks off. Ayr’s final touch or shooting was well off although Ridgers did save us twice more in the second half, especially one save where he appeared to turn himself in the air when the initial shot was deflected. Roddy McGregor should have notched a second after the break but he hesitated and he who hesitates is lost. And then what must be a contender for goal of the season. In the 64th minute Donaldson punted upfield and SHAUN ROONEY remarkably kept the ball in play, swiveled, sped inside and as cool as a feckin cucumber  slotted the ball home. Rooney could have claimed a second late on when Todorov failed to execute the through ball with Rooney sure to overlap again. Doran really should have made it three but slashed at the ball from the penalty spot. That completed another fine away day and the long journey home was worth it. Robbo’s after match comments summed it up and perhaps he really does think that Ayr are more of a danger than the Tannadice bunch - "We are only eight games in, but it is important that we are still there at the top of the table. We faced the best team in the Championship today and we asked the players to put on a performance, show their character and that's what they did in some style."

 

 

 

                      image.png

 

 

And so to the Smileymometer and my apologies to the short-sighted Caley Stan !!  😉

 

 

 

RIDGERS  (*****)  On many a day he would have been MOM but he was outshone on the day by a Ross Tokely lookalike.

 

 

ROONEY  (*****) + Looking forward to seeing a replay of that goal. But apart from that he was solid at the back and always looked a danger when going forward – which he did menacingly on a regular basis.

 

 

DONALDSON (****) Looked more assured and far much more like his old composed self. Perhaps his fitness has hit the 100% mark ?

 

 

McCART (***) Tends to play in the shadow of Coll but he also looked assured and that central defence partnership will be a very important building block for the remainder of the season.

 

 

TREMARCO (***) Appeared to concentrate more on defensive duties which may well be his remit from now on.

 

 

VINCENT (***) Playmaker in the first half and very effective. Quieter in the second but defensively solid.

 

 

WELSH (**) Another bitter blow and leg injury allowed only 30 minutes of holding midfield at its best.

 

 

McGREGOR (***) Very lively, sharp and pacy. Some nice touches but too easily knocked off the ball. Did look like a wee boy on a pitch of men. But he can only improve and he does have the required potential.

 

 

DORAN (**) Never does shine when the game is mostly about defending. Has lost some pace and that shows at this level.

 

 

WHITE (**) Poor Jordan is simply not my cup of tea. His height and presence does attract central defenders but he does nothing in the air and his hold up play is lacking. His main contribution was the first goal assist !!

 

 

STOREY (***) If only he had that bit of panache and composure to add to the lightning pace – he really would be wearing a magic hat. More effective out wide though.

 

 

TRAFFORD (****) He more than successfully filled the boots of Welsh. He was winning everything in central midfield.

 

 

CARSON (***) Evidently taken on to beef up the midfield. The complete opposite of McGregor. No nonsense needed in a game of this ilk.

 

 

TODOROV (***) Still not the final product but I feel he is more mobile, is a better holder and has more pace than any other forward at the club. Probably a 

 

 

 

First live game of the season and so much to say for a part time fan 😂 

 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Gregor said:

First live game of the season and so much to say for a part time fan 😂 

 

Lets just say that some of us are more astute than others - Feel free to disagree :groovy:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Courtesy of Johndo and Maryhill, here's the CTO report..............

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the highlights, Wow! Rooney showed the way.   Looks like the Ayr defenders stood off him thinking he was going to square the ball!!  😅😅😅

Not sure if Vincent's shot was deflected,  but hey ho, that was Ayr's fault for not playing the whistle.

Great win and good summaries from IHE and caleystan .  👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. what was Rooney doing there when we were defending??

Glad he was. I’m sure Coll will claim he meant the long ball, but it could equally have ended in row z!!

Who cares! Rooney’s day and we are only two points off the top!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really bad news for Sean and the team. He is a key member of the squad and we always look a better balanced team when he is there. We do have plenty of options in midfield so hopefully someone else can step up to provide that calm controlling influence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally of subject but why do some posters on here feel the need to write a novel takes more than the 90 mins to scroll thro it just saying!

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I welcome a detailed report of games I’ve not been at, and it is interesting to hear how others’ views of home games compare to mine. 

Getting back on topic, that is so tough for Sean. Hopefully it is not as bad as feared. 

I always think we are stronger with him in our team. 

It will be interesting to see if Trafford gets a run and whether he can sustain the performance it sounds like he had on Saturday and, partly tongue in cheek, his ratio of bookings per game. 

Equally, Carson has split opinion on here, but I have been impressed by his application and desire to take the ball down and play it. 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan, you area a bit of a card. But interesting and a dedicated , knowledgeable fan. 

Yep, Festus, "keep it simple Sam " seems to be a very good advice.

I think,,,,:tongue:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Totally of subject but why do some posters on here feel the need to write a novel takes more than the 90 mins to scroll thro it just saying!

Well the Caley fare wheest Ayr in there oan back yard. Ended 2-zip with crackers from Vincent and Rooney. Welsh fecked his toe but Triffid stepped in. Sick.

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Well the Caley fare wheest Ayr in there oan back yard. Ended 2-zip with crackers from Vincent and Rooney. Welsh fecked his toe but Triffid stepped in. Sick.

Haha class that's the spirit brother short but straight to the point Ayr gash ICT dominant

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does help you out?

Simpson.png

  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • FB_caley_thisle_online_970x90.jpg

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.