Hunting information about 1937 Austin 10 Van “ST 9438”

Miles Vincent

I have been contacted by the current owner of a 1937 Austin 10 van that was new in Inverness and first registered on 5th December 1937 with the registration number ST9438. He would like to try and trace any history about the van and to find out what the first owner’s business was.

The van was first registered to Andrew Douglas Munro, 16 Innes Street, Inverness on 5th December 1937. Interestingly the surviving Inverness registration records show that an identical van was registered on the same day to David Munro, 6 Culduthel Road, Inverness. This van had the registration number ST9437. It would be great to know what they did as he would like to sign-write the van in an appropriate livery. An internet search shows that 6 Culdruthel Roadis now the Inverness Student Hotel.

Any help or information about the van, business or Andrew Douglas Munro that I could pass onto the current owner would be great. Thanks.

8F0116FC-20AD-488A-8667-13266F103D77.jpeg

D269AA9A-CC47-4F40-8BB2-A36CF3D0C3BC.jpeg

Miles,

from the Inverness Burgh Directory 1938-39 A Munro is a Butcher.

https://archive.org/details/invernessburg193839inve/page/286

and David Munro was a Clerk of Works.

https://archive.org/details/invernessburg193839inve/page/288

I have no idea if they were related but this might help someone older than myself who might remember if there was a Munro Butchers in Inverness.

I found a residential and business directory for Inverness for 1935-36 online.

It confirms A Munro, butcher, at 16 Innes Street (which was a residential street of houses).  But none of the many butchers' businesses in the town had "Munro" in the name, so I guess that at the time he was working for one of them.

Buying a van or two is the sort of thing you would do if you were starting up your own business, so finding a business directory for 1938 or 1939 could be very useful.   (Later addition:  Duh!   I've just seen that the directory that IBM linked to lists businesses as well,  on the appropriate streets.)

Similarly, copies of the "Inverness Courier" for that period - which are not online, AFAIK - might carry adverts for the business, though perhaps just a few, around the time of startup.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
stupidity
  • Like 1

In addition to the links that Scotty sugested there is a link in this forum for Butchers of Inverness although not much in it.

https://caleythistleonline.com/topic/29815-inverness-butchers/

There is a mention of Munro and Coffey Butcher in Dalneigh, I don't remember the Munro but did know Mike Coffey who had the butcher shop in Hilton.  He died earlier this year but his son also Mike stays in Inverness and works for John Munro Butcher in Dingwall.

• Like 1