Inverness CT -V- Alloa

Scotty

Hope the online commentary was better than the result.

If you thought the first half was poor viewing, try watching it from that gantry opposite the main stand where, having made the rookie error of sitting on a wet chair, I got hit by rain, wind and then sideways rain. We did have the offer of an umbrella but had I used it I'd have probably sailed across the pitch like Mary Poppins. Having started shivering by 3:30, there was enough second half action that, combined with me standing up, I nearly got the feeling back in my toes.

I feel like we got caught cold (ahem) at the start. Having seen TV footage of the opener it's a cracking finish by Buchanan but he finds ridiculous space in the box because after he played the one-two with Cawley (who had escaped McCart with his movement), Rooney strangely chose to go towards Cawley rather than track him. A bit of a shambles to be honest. We dominated possession after that but after MacDonald saved smartly from MacGregor a few minutes later we barely created anything before half-time.

The second period was lit up by that extraordinary Tremarco goal. He was out on the right having taken a corner that was cleared back to him, and he almost casually wrapped his left foot around the ball and it fizzed in the far corner off the junction of bar and post (for maximum aesthetic effect!). That's the club's goal of the season competition finished for 2019/20.

After that we pretty much pinned them back though last-ditch defending kept us mostly at bay. However we looked like we'd won it when Tremarco whipped in a pearler of a cross and White outmuscled the defender at the back post to head home. Inexplicably though we switched off and blew two points.

It seems like either Andy Graham - who has a great goalscoring record from set plays - either wasn't identified beforehand as someone for the watching or simply the players failed to keep tabs on him. He missed a free header at 1-1 when Alloa used a training ground routine to get him unmarked at a corner, and when they got a long throw opportunity he was the inevitable target. However he wasn't challenged for the flick on...and everyone was statuesque except Trouten who had the freedom of the box to smash it home for an equalizer.

Massively frustrating as we would have gone top with the win. I felt we struggled badly to break down a very compact and defensive Alloa side; we lacked width and our central midfield pair were not nearly ambitious enough; both Vincent and Trafford spent too much time going sideways and backwards. The introduction of Carson and Keatings did help things in that regard but we missed Welsh's intelligence in possession and Walsh's wing play.

All in all a frustrating afternoon, though at least we haven't lost ground on those around us. And at least I'm warmed up now!

• Agree 2

White’s goal unfortunately does not mask the fact that we were considerably worse up front than last week with Curry.

Some of this is due to the early goal which allowed Alloa to park the bus for much of the game.

We definitely lack edge in this position and have limited alternative options however with more movement we are likely to create more. For too much of the game the Alloa defence was able to keep the game in front of them.

• Like 1

A game we ought to have won. Poor goals to lose defensively. Alloa played fairly well but really didn't create much which made losing those goals more disappointing. Tremarco's goal was superb. Keating's free-kick crashed off the bar and that would have sealed it late on. Caley looked to win it and will surely do so more as the season goes on with that approach. 

• Like 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic