Arrogance?

The dangers of texting and facebook etc is that people interpret things in their own way, if it doesn't suit their agenda, they attack it, if it is the other way, they praise it. Best, and simplest idea, would be to have held it on a Sunday perhaps?.

• Agree 1

We have, for quite some time, been subjected to messages from the club which fall into two categories....

1.  Constantly seek to blame "fans not showing up" for all of our woes and threatening what might happen if they don't support the club.

This narrative is one which threatens people who aren't coming to games anyway....so if things deteriorate, they're not going to give any more of a hoot than they do now.  As such, it's a narrative which will achieve nothing positive.

2.  Generates a sense that the more money you give the club, the better a fan you are.

The club have been milking the existing fanbase for about as much as they can for a long time, so to suggest that we now have some kind fo fan class system based on the level of financial support an individual affords is only going to alienate the very people the club needs now more than ever.

If you want to rally a support then look back to Terry Butchers time with ICTFC.  He was a man who rarely made comment about people not coming to games and/or supporting the club; choosing instead to concentrate on praising those who did.  It's something he does even to this day and if you look at the recent video doing the rounds from Ross Grant where Butcher is interviewed, he talks about how great the fans were who supported the team and not decrying the fact there wasn't more of them.

I have spoken to a few people at the club about this in the last few months and tried to explain/warn that it comes off exactly how this facebook post by Jim Oliver has been received and interpreted by many.

IMO, ill-advised and poorly crafted comments such as this...and the wider narrative being employed by those speaking on behalf of ICTFC right now...is doing more damage than performances and results on the park which have been pretty decent apart from a couple of recent blips.

Time to flip the script.

• Agree 4
  • Facepalm 1

This thread just demonstrates how some fans will spin any situation to be whatever they want. Most say I am a critic of the club but in no way can that ill worded FB post be deemed as a slight or suggestion that we have fans more worthy than others based on want or ability to spend money or proritise social events/networking over the matches themselves. Time to get over it and stop looking for hidden messages IMO.

There is a valid point about why is the club not using its own facilities to showcase such events, afterall there is an external catering contract and hospitality areas - it really would have been a marketing opportunity to at least say 'we can do fancy corporate type days' and show some of those in the area with funds that the stadium is a viable option for their businesses events too.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

This thread just demonstrates how some fans will spin any situation to be whatever they want. Most say I am a critic of the club but in no way can that ill worded FB post be deemed as a slight or suggestion that we have fans more worthy than others based on want or ability to spend money or proritise social events/networking over the matches themselves. Time to get over it and stop looking for hidden messages IMO.

There is a valid point about why is the club not using its own facilities to showcase such events, afterall there is an external catering contract and hospitality areas - it really would have been a marketing opportunity to at least say 'we can do fancy corporate type days' and show some of those in the area with funds that the stadium is a viable option for their businesses events too.

Maybe though that post is the last in a long line of the same kind of vibes? 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

BDU, I agree with much of your post; but on the subject of fans spinning this situation, I don't.  The moment you start using terms like "true supporters" or "bad supporters" (or any other adjective) then you are immediately pigeon holing groups of fans....intentionally or otherwise.  When you then attach those comments to posts relating to those who attended a costly dinner, it's not spin to suggest that the person posting believed those at the dinner to be "truer" fans than those who were not.....consciously or otherwise.

If the club and it's representatives simply valued all fans on the basis that each gives what they can, when they can...then perhaps that generates a better vibe and encourages more people to further support the club.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

To me - he did not really mean anything by the statement. I cant help but feel that there are some attacking the person. BUT has he actually apologized and explained things from his perspective.

Caley D - "If the club and it's representatives simply valued all fans on the basis that each gives what they can, when they can...then perhaps that generates a better vibe and encourages more people to further support the club." - Now that is spot on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

To me - he did not really mean anything by the statement. I cant help but feel that there are some attacking the person. BUT has he actually apologized and explained things from his perspective.

Caley D - "If the club and it's representatives simply valued all fans on the basis that each gives what they can, when they can...then perhaps that generates a better vibe and encourages more people to further support the club." - Now that is spot on.

Not as far as I know. I agree that would have been the sensible option especially if the post was when tired or through drink. 

• tm4tj changed the title to Arrogance?

Accentuate the positive and deny the negative. And this seems to be Much Ado About Nothing Much.

If you really try to give  credence to this type of  situation through a negative attitude or observance stance, etc.... then what are you contributing to the betterment of ICT? Isn't there some other subject that can be discussed on a much more positive plain?

Especially at a point in time where crowds are sparse to dismal and our future is far from clear either financially and/or  the associated possibilities of either  further promotion or  decline for the club...…..eh? And when an older Fogie like me reads this I must admit to ennui and the start of the dreaded Caley depression spiral. Instead, when you feel down about things over which you really have little control, then get some pals together and go round the doors to rally support for the team.

I bought and ran my own business before I retired and when I changed my job to do so  in Canada I realised that I had to succeed by my own efforts and gave myself one year to achieve this  --and stayed 29 years. And loved it--the freedom, the challenge, the successes and mastering of failures  by moving right along was a challenging but really stimulating journey. Of course, doing excellent work also helped. But perseverance is key and POSITIVITY is, above all,  the stimulus for you to succeed, regardless of what other folks are up to. :ictscarf:

• Like 1

Can understand changing the thread title as I maybe went a bit far calling our very own Boris a Pr*ck, but I was making a statement and not asking a question.