David Balfe

snorbens_caleyman

Just noticed in the Courier that David Balfe has died: "David was a successful songwriter penning amongst others, Chelsea Football Club's "Blue Is The Colour" and "Beautiful Sunday"."

He also wrote ICT's first club song, "Bring It On Home".  I am aware that a lot of folk used to slag it off, but it's a catchy, memorable tune.   Not at all bad.

An airing at the next home game would be fitting.

With condolences and sympathy to his family and friends.

(And, for those a wee bit younger than me, no, he was not in The Teardrop Explodes - that was another with the same name.)

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

David Balfe, in the aforementioned "Bring it on Home" extended version (B-Side) at 4mins 30secs, predicted that ICTFC would qualify for Europe.

You're right!  As I was typing that, I was playing the three versions - first time in many years - and was very amused when I heard that.

Great bloke, who many years ago made my claim to fame happen, after playing football for Ardersier I was enjoying a beer in the Gun Lodge, I'd known David before and got chatting to him, he then introduced me to Ozzy Osbourne, who with his band were recording at Flemington in Dave's studio!  Played a couple of games of darts with the band then had to leave.  

Boys at work didn't believe me until Dave came in last year and verified it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Given our lack of atmosphere it would be welcomed blaring across the tannoy. Given other clubs take songs and either sing or play (or both) maybe its a consideration that should be made - in lieu of anything better and also a fitting tribute to the man.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:45 AM, TheMantis said:

Sad news. The song was sold at the stadium on a cassette (a what?). Unfortunately lent mine to somebody (you know who you are ? ).

Wasn't me was it?  I got the tape from someone years ago and can't recall who!!!

files can now be accessed on our downloads page : https://caleythistleonline.com/files/

Based on the due diligence undertaken when the files were previously available and uploaded to audioboom we believe there are no copyright issues with this. If anyone knows differently please let us know.