Scotty

Very disappointing afternoon: totally outclassed. 

I would only give pass marks to Trafford and Ridgers, plus Walsh after he came on. Carson did ok, but the rest were poor. 

Shankland could have been sent off and the ref had some poor decisions but I don’t think that changed things. We were just not good enough. 

We certainly miss Welsh. 

At one point I thought Tremarco was losing the plot after his booking but he got a grip. Similarly Rooney would have been a red card risk had he not got injured. McKay should have replaced him rather than Vincent  

Really hard to work out what we need to change. We go between doing well and doing poorly, so need consistency. 

A result at Arbroath will help greatly then we can have a breather and focus on the cup for a week. 

United, despite their recent defeats, are a cut above the other teams, and have shown that against us. We need to be more consistent and aim for, at worst, second. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Gutless and clueless most weeks especially at home

That's just what I was looking at.  At the moment, our home and away records are almost identical, which is unusual enough.  (Ayr's is about the same.) 

But we've all seen previous seasons, with different player and managers, where the away record has been better than the home record.  I am more confident of a result when we are playing away from home.

So what is it?  Lack of atmosphere at home?  Spending time together on the journeys travelling to away games?

Maybe they should go on a bus tour before every home game.

Todorov had a good game v Queen of the South (I was there) and scored a goal but gets dropped today.  Why on earth?   On his worst day Toddy is better, more industrious, not scared to tackle, than White.  I am fed up of White jumping and missing the ball.    I am no football manager but fail to see the benefit Robbo sees in playing White week in week out for little return.   I would have Todorov starting, with Walsh too and Keatings.  Incidentally well done Charlie Trafford, he never gives up despite not being given a regular start.   Carson a good signing, improving every game.  

• Agree 7

39 minutes ago, Inverwegian said:

If the “go-to” forward can’t do his job (i.e. score goals) and the manager keeps picking him as the first team starter, who’s really to blame? The striker that can’t score or the manager that keeps playing him?

^ This!

41 minutes ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Sure, Shankland should have been off for elbowing McCart (I've seen the TV footage).

Sure, Keatings missed a sitter at 0-1, heading wide of an open goal from 3 yards out.

Nevertheless, that was a reality check. For long periods we didn't look like we belonged in the same league as United. 

Our midfield is a huge problem. Carson and Trafford (and Vincent) don't lack effort but they are rotten in possession. With no chance of them playing a killer pass teams can sit in, concentrate on denying Keatings space and wait for us to punt a high ball at White which he will probably lose (on the occasions he wins it, no one is ever looking for the second ball).

God, we miss Welsh.

United just looked much more streetwise. The threat of Shankland is enough to induce panic - at the first goal both McCart and Tremarco flung themselves in front of his shot, which left McMullan in space on the right. Rooney got his feet all mixed up and stuck the centre into his own net. He really wasn't the same afterward.

Walsh looked bright when he came on but Storey in contrast was dreadful and gave away a stupid penalty with a petulant, unnecessary trip. Not very professional. By then Clark's goal had already killed us off. He put his foot through it but it beat Ridgers at his near post and I feel the goalie should be saving that. 

After that our heads were gone and it could have been five.

Hard to know where we go from here. Aside from starting Walsh we aren't exactly blessed with other options.

Great post! 

Trafford was immense.  For me, even if Jordan won the ball, where is the second man dropping in or showing for a knock down? Would Toddy have to plough the same furrows?  I’m old fashioned, and not that old - ffs get some width and get some crosses in.  Had Keats converted from Walsh and made it 1-1..... and if yer maw had baws etc.  But yeah, poor today.  Utd ain’t THAT good though.  If Dundee do the biz next week, the brown stuff gets real again.

I see the comment about binning Robbo didn't go down with some of the "fans" on here said it at the start of the season how longs he gonna get before his Ts oot he's shown nothing since he's been here mid table championship club poor signings he's defo gonna be my bet for 1st champs manager sacked £10 on that 1 

3 hours ago, WYNESS101 said:

Why drop Toddy?

White has being awful last few games. Guess this will be a game of the long ball and no headers won up front

White won a great flick-on late in the game, unfortunately no one anticipated him winning it and the ball went safe.?

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, Satan said:

White won a great flick-on late in the game, unfortunately no one anticipated him winning it and the ball went safe.?

Yes, there were gasps of shock in the North Stand when he actually won that ball. 

• Funny 2

9 minutes ago, Satan said:

?...well he's the man who signed Storey, so maybe he does need his head looked at.

Haha 1 of his better signings play him as a winger he will be gash up top he'll be class! Maybe I'm been a tad harsh Robbo might pull it round yet still putting a 10 spot on him going tho he's making Foran look like Fergie this last few weeks

Just now, Alan Simpson said:

Haha 1 of his better signings play him as a winger he will be gash up top he'll be class! Maybe I'm been a tad harsh Robbo might pull it round yet still putting a 10 spot on him going tho he's making Foran look like Fergie this last few weeks

Id like to see Miles getting a shot up top as he aint no winger! 

10 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Id like to see Miles getting a shot up top as he aint no winger! 

I no crazy playing him wide drop White try something different dunno why we never went in for Aird when he was free! Same as signing Toddy what a waste of a wage never gets a run be as well with young mackay still here on the bench

Still on the train to Edinburgh, no phone charging points on the Inverness to Perth service, just a train full of half pissed Arabs eating stinking takeaways. A complete waste of a day. Never thought I’d see the day when Trafford was our best player. Curry seems to have earned a run in the team based on that one decent strike last Saturday but I can’t see him stepping up to this level, Hope I’m wrong. Edited to add, I’ve never rated Storey and I’ve no idea why Robbo resigned him.

Now you can ask CaleyStan, when Toddy scored on Tuesday night, I turned to him and said “that’ll be White starting on Saturday then...”

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 2

We are poor and getting worse by the week i think the players are low on confidence because of the poor coaching i think Robbo & Kellacher are not up to modern day coaching there is no change in how we play no matter how the game is going. Shocked to read Robbo's comments on BBC Scotland that there was nothing between the teams is he for real??  For a start they have goalscorers we may have but he gets left on the bench  but it is coming down to our (1) style of play it's so poor and driving people away by the game

White did nothing, but we had much deeper problems today.

The team didn't turn up but Robbo didn't give them a chance. Carson and Trafford did everything they could but that centre midfield was never going to compete in that game. They were overrun  from the first minute and nothing was done to change it. Robbo's been great for us but his tactical naivety was glaring today. 

I'm more gutted than I usually am after a bad defeat because I've been harbouring the delusion that we could compete for the title.That's over and we've got 7 months to compete for which play-off  spot we'll be in.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic