January Transfer Window

Jack Waddington

Not that I see any reason for it, but if offers come in for players looking to leave in the summer like Donaldson we would take 5 figures sums I'm sure. Any replacements would either be from within (if the youth are good enough) or use the settlement to bring in a loanee. It's unlikely we will see signings, afterall in the summer we brought in more players than anyone was expecting and with the league title being out of grasp we are aiming for play-offs so the squad we need now just has to maintain the quality to remain in the top 4.

• Agree 1

Maintaining the quality to keep us in top 4 might just do that, but to do anything in the playoffs we will likely need something extra...So if we are serious this year then a loan deal, or two, will be necessary...

Alternatively we could make the playoffs again and fall flat on our arses, again.

Time to gamble...

1 hour ago, Satan said:

Maintaining the quality to keep us in top 4 might just do that, but to do anything in the playoffs we will likely need something extra...So if we are serious this year then a loan deal, or two, will be necessary...

Alternatively we could make the playoffs again and fall flat on our arses, again.

Time to gamble...

Like your spirit my man all or nothing bring in a goalscorer this current squad would once again taste the bitter pill of play off defeat

I might get slagged for this, but if players are out of contract in the summer, you can’t blame them for hanging back to see what league we are going to be in. 

If they have ambitions to play at a higher level, and many could as there is so little difference between the bottom half of the top league and most of the Championship, we can’t blame them.  

That said, we could be in for a bumpy summer and a big player turnover if we don’t go up. Alan will appreciate a turnover of players!!

Edited by Robert
  • Sad 1

No reason why anyone should slag you off.  That's a perfectly reasonable point you make.  In addition, they need to see what interest other clubs may have in them.  At the same time, they need to be aware that the contract offer that may be on the table here could be removed at any time for a variety of reasons.  Some of them spend too much time listening to  their agents.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Robert said:

I might get slagged for this, but if players are out of contract in the summer, you can’t blame them for hanging back to see what league we are going to be in. 

If they have ambitions to play at a higher level, and many could as there is so little difference between the bottom half of the top league and most of the Championship, we can’t blame them.  

That said, we could be in for a bumpy summer and a big player turnover if we don’t go up. Alan will appreciate a turnover of players!!

Can't blame them for wanting to better themselves just find it insane that a bigger club would look at any of that players I'd like to see them out the door best of luck 2 them can't fault Whites effort ! Turnover of players is defo needed this squads no quite good enough for promotion is Robbo the man to identify guys who'll get us up tho ?

• Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

In January,  a winger unproven at a host of clubs - no.

In the unlikely event of any activity the only thing we need is a proven goalscorer,  a predator who can convert our chances and take us into, and through the playoffs.

Failing that it will be a rebuild on a much reduced budget next year.

• Agree 1

I would not say no to Keanu Marsh-Brown but would probably say no to the other we are linked with (Agustien). 

Anyway, in reply to this thread, on the evidence of our last two abysmal performances against Arbroath and the two against Partick as well, anyone of the squad bar Ridgers should be fearful of being punted!! 

On current projections , those waiting to see what division we play in before signing wont be signing...and a good few of the rest will not be staying without pay cuts - so it wont be jettisoning of the squad , simply natural wastage.

Hopefully we have a few hardened kids to take back from the fort next summer.

Unless some go out I doubt anyone will be coming in and if they do it'll be a loan. Given our position financially and in the league we won't want more long term wage commitments until we determine out path forwards.

Given curry is leaving and there may be other fringe players to follow if they find other offers/clubs.

Don’t usually post on here but have a few things I’d like to throw into the mix.

First, realistically I don’t think any signings are necessary as Mitch is still up in the air whether he’s actually going or not, as well as the fact we still have the like of Walsh and Welsh to come back. Personally all we need to find is consistency. Out with our defeats we haven’t been dreadful this season.

Second, for people saying we should take a punt at Fraser Aird. Should we really be spending what little cash is available on a player who has failed at his last two clubs, backstabbed Dunfermline and only stood out at United because he was assisting two of the top strikers last season in Nicky Clark and Pavol Safranko? Only positive in it for me is he’s played with Trafford in the Canada team before, and Walsh in the rangers youth. So possibly a pre-existing link up there. But out with that I doubt he’d bring anything positive with him.

47 minutes ago, DanielH8199 said:

Don’t usually post on here but have a few things I’d like to throw into the mix.

First, realistically I don’t think any signings are necessary as Mitch is still up in the air whether he’s actually going or not, as well as the fact we still have the like of Walsh and Welsh to come back. Personally all we need to find is consistency. Out with our defeats we haven’t been dreadful this season.

Second, for people saying we should take a punt at Fraser Aird. Should we really be spending what little cash is available on a player who has failed at his last two clubs, backstabbed Dunfermline and only stood out at United because he was assisting two of the top strikers last season in Nicky Clark and Pavol Safranko? Only positive in it for me is he’s played with Trafford in the Canada team before, and Walsh in the rangers youth. So possibly a pre-existing link up there. But out with that I doubt he’d bring anything positive with him.

Don't think it's up in the air  curry doesn't want to be here as he has told the manager he wants to return to Middlesbrough. 

59 minutes ago, DanielH8199 said:

We've been searching for this for the last two or three years and it's not come around so something has to change, we have players that JR doesn't play for whatever reason and at that some that he has brought in himself.

For me that has to change, if they aren't of the standard that he requires or aren't what he believed them to be then get rid of them. As much as we have a small squad it's even smaller when we don't play some of them. I hate seeing big turnarounds of playing staff but at the end of the day we can't afford to have any passengers.

I think one of the biggest problems is that when we are bad we are dreadful and that's the worrying part, at least last season when we were bad we scrapped draws and it was this that we hoped to build upon, sadly that hasn't happened.

In this league this season, out with Dundee Utd, every team can claim they need to find consistency. so we aren't alone.

I don't think that is what he was saying last week.  It wasn't that they are not good enough, it was that their performance last week was not acceptable.  In fact, he made a point of praising them for the good home performances of recent weeks and said that is what makes last weeks poor performance so disappointing.  In other words, we need the players to perform consistently at the levels they have demonstrated they can perform at.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

After Robbos recent comments regarding players and starting positions. And given we have a small enough squad to choose from is it wise to then loan out another player to Elgin city I.e Harper?

Harper's impressed me when I've seen him play, but at the moment there are others just ahead of him in the pecking order.  If he's going to develop then he needs game time.  It will be good for him to go to Elgin and therefore good for the club in the longer term.  In the short term it is a bit of a risk if we pick up injuries or suspensions in the back four, but there are midfielders who get drop back into defence if need be.

• Agree 2