January Transfer Window

Jack Waddington

39 minutes ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Are you saying "I'd rather have White and Todorov than a striker who scored 20 goals at this level last season and who is an ICT legend because even he couldn't sort out the mess Foran got us in a few years back"?

Okay.

Yes. Promotion comes with more cash and its a damn sight easier to attract players here if we can offer better wages and Premiership football.

Both fair points. I’m normally accused of being a “happy clapper” but I’m not as optimistic as normal the way the last few weeks have turned out. 

I just hope I’m wrong!

Losing both Donaldson and McCart is a huge blow.  Whilst other clubs are strengthening in the transfer window, we are weakening.  Combined with our lack of fire power up top, it is very difficult to see how we will be able to maintain the consistency for the rest of the season to stay in the play off positions, let alone to show the extra quality to win the play offs.  However, Welsh and Walsh returning to the side will be a real bonus and we have a lot of options in midfield.  Both Carson and Vincent have played at the back before so we do have some flexibility to move things around, although it is far from ideal.

One positive thing about this is that the departure of our 2 best central defenders to Premier League sides prepared to pay a fee for them shows again the ability of this club to identify players with promise and develop them.  Our record in that department will attract players with potential to us, but that alone is clearly not going to get us back into the top flight.  We lose our best players when we need them most, but we will only keep them if we can offer them a contract which persuades them to stay for an extra year or two.  We need money for that.

20 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Maybe Todorov will drop into CB as he has seemingly played there before.

That's a decent point. I had forgotten he was an option at CB. I remember he had an excellent game in that position against us for Livingston a couple of years back (and scored at a set piece too). 

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

Losing both Donaldson and McCart is a huge blow.  Whilst other clubs are strengthening in the transfer window, we are weakening.  Combined with our lack of fire power up top, it is very difficult to see how we will be able to maintain the consistency for the rest of the season to stay in the play off positions, let alone to show the extra quality to win the play offs.  However, Welsh and Walsh returning to the side will be a real bonus and we have a lot of options in midfield.  Both Carson and Vincent have played at the back before so we do have some flexibility to move things around, although it is far from ideal.

One positive thing about this is that the departure of our 2 best central defenders to Premier League sides prepared to pay a fee for them shows again the ability of this club to identify players with promise and develop them.  Our record in that department will attract players with potential to us, but that alone is clearly not going to get us back into the top flight.  We lose our best players when we need them most, but we will only keep them if we can offer them a contract which persuades them to stay for an extra year or two.  We need money for that.

Im sure I read that money was offered for White and Trafford last summer and maybe we should have taken it as holding players back isnt always a good option.

Im not sure we develop the players we just give them a platform to play on regular basis.

Edited by Gregor

7 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Im sure I read that money was offered for White and Trafford last summer and maybe we should have taken it as holding players back isnt always a good option.

Im not sure we develop the players we just give them a platform to play on regular basis.

If we were offered a bag of pic and mix for that pair should've grabbed it! We haven't developed any players since Christie and Polly either so not a good record when u look at likes of Hamilton and Livi on that front

• Disagree 1
  • Funny 1

14 hours ago, CaleyD said:

Leaving aside everything else, the utter lack of professionalism in the last two player leaving statements from the club is a disgrace.  We could at least try and behave with a bit of class...especially as we'll be desperate to bring other people in.

I agree it was all a bit brief a bit like close the door on your way out, could be seen as a bit bitter.

Maybe we could learn a bit from other clubs as having a 100 club appreciation of 100 appearances etc like Dundee Utd

However the fans did seem to appreciate big Coll when he was here which is good .

For the record thanks to both players for the last couple of seasons

Coll Donaldson 133 appearances and scored 5 goals

Jamie McCart 62  appearances also another 11 appearances when he was with us on loan and scored 2 goals

Edited by Gregor

8 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

If we were offered a bag of pic and mix for that pair should've grabbed it! We haven't developed any players since Christie and Polly either so not a good record when u look at likes of Hamilton and Livi on that front

I disagree on your view of White and Charlie but you still make me chuckle with your comments lol

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Are you saying "I'd rather have White and Todorov than a striker who scored 20 goals at this level last season and who is an ICT legend because even he couldn't sort out the mess Foran got us in a few years back"?

Okay.

I agree with you regrding Mckay he would be a good addition possibly playing in a front 3 with Doran and White.

Below is what all 3 players have contributed in last 2 seasons having a combined total of 68 goals so it could work.

image.png.e0ce2b98c2dc674f292c50a6badb936f.png

Edited by Gregor

19 hours ago, IBM said:

Get Shane upfront and put White in defence he can't be any worse there!

Jordan's consistent upward headers over the bar and into the sky could be a real asset in central defence :tongueincheek:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, ictchris said:

I doubt we'll sign anyone in the next few days.  This is basically it, we can't afford to turn down cash offers for players who are going leave anyway.  We'll have to proceed with two of McHattie, McKay and Toshney as our centre backs.  Maybe it'll turn out well, maybe it won't.  But I think anyone talking about replacing McCart and Donaldson with signings of an equal standard is going to be disappointed.

Toddy has played CB before

The thought of Toddy in defence is insane he's terrible in his proper position so hate to see him in 1 he's not used to! I played cb before maybe Robbo give me a holler he seriously if he has contacts use them now get a couple of players in on loan CB and a striker without lead feet!

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, caleyboy said:

Maybe Todorov will drop into CB as he has seemingly played there before.

Looked at Toddy and Whites wikipedia and according to this source both of them have played centre back Toddy with Cowdenbeath and White with Wrexham.  So although we are thin on the ground with the loss of Donalsdon and McCart we could use White or Toddy possibly at centre back if needed.

13 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Looked at Toddy and Whites wikipedia and according to this source both of them have played centre back Toddy with Cowdenbeath and White with Wrexham.  So although we are thin on the ground with the loss of Donalsdon and McCart we could use White or Toddy possibly at centre back if needed.

Could we not play them right back ? Right back to where we got them from

• Disagree 1
  • Funny 5

8 hours ago, Gregor said:

I agree with you regrding Mckay he would be a good addition possibly playing in a front 3 with Doran and White.

Below is what all 3 players have contributed in last 2 seasons having a combined total of 68 goals so it could work.

image.png.e0ce2b98c2dc674f292c50a6badb936f.png

Mckay and White have very similar strike rates. 

I see Mckay has started for those OTB tonight so doubt they would lend him out. 

McCart has gone from our bench to the St Johnstone bench, at least for tonight’s game. 

Is the Rooney news from a reliable source?

Edited by Robert