Ferries

The Mantis

Here is another old ferry that was the Columba which was operated by David Macbrayne and Cal-Mac from 1964 to 1989 based in Oban on the Isle of Mull service and was the first ferry to start a Sunday island service in 1972.

She was refitted and renamed Hebridean Princess still in service doing cruises around the west coast.  The skipper at the time of this photo was a cousin of mine who's father was a crew member on the original Columba. 

IMG_7104.JPG

You are doing some travelling Mantis, I do miss the ferry trips now and I would like to go back to Islay as it has been 25 years since I was last there.  Here is a link that weeman told me about it's great for tracking ferries and all other shipping.  There is a lot of movement with boats away for refit, tonight the Isle of Lewis is returning to Oban through the Pentland Firth from Edinburgh.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-4.6/centery:57.8/zoom:8

14 hours ago, IBM said:

You are doing some travelling Mantis, I do miss the ferry trips now and I would like to go back to Islay as it has been 25 years since I was last there. 

That's what retirement is for 😉

Haven't been there myself since April 2009. Funnily enough I was speaking to an old mate who did most of the Munros with me, he had a BMW 528i and did all the driving. He's 82 now but fancies going back to Islay if I drive. So unless we beat the Hibs on Fri I'll probably arrange it for semi final weekend, 11 years to the day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 5:58 PM, TheMantis said:

MV Eilean na h-Oige at Eriskay in 1994. Replaced by the causeway in 2001.

Another one I was never on but i have been over the causeway a few times since, another lovely island. 

The two ferries that sail overnight from Aberdeen to Shetland are the Hrossey and Hjaltland sailing via Orkney north and south 3 times a week.  When I traveled to Shetland it was via Orkney which was a shorter journey.  If you were lucky enough to be traveling when there was a music festival on in the islands there was always a good ceilidh on board which would last all night.  Photos 1 and 2 are the boats leaving Lerwick with the Isle of Bressay behind.  The third is arriving at Aberdeen on a calm May morning after 11 hours sailing through 11m seas with force 8 gales which were to rough to berth in Orkney.  The boat coped well but I was unable to sleep till the last hour of the journey!

Hjaltland.JPG

Hrossey.JPG

PICT2452.JPG

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

May as well get another photo up if we're all confined to barracks...

Isle of Arran at Stornoway, October 2017.

00002213.jpg

That is one of Ferguson Transport boats which have delivered water treatment works to the Western Isles landing on the beach.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, IBM said:

The two ferries that sail overnight from Aberdeen to Shetland are the Hrossey and Hjaltland sailing via Orkney north and south 3 times a week.  When I traveled to Shetland it was via Orkney which was a shorter journey.  If you were lucky enough to be traveling when there was a music festival on in the islands there was always a good ceilidh on board which would last all night.  Photos 1 and 2 are the boats leaving Lerwick with the Isle of Bressay behind.  The third is arriving at Aberdeen on a calm May morning after 11 hours sailing through 11m seas with force 8 gales which were to rough to berth in Orkney.  The boat coped well but I was unable to sleep till the last hour of the journey!

Been to Shetland about 10 times since 1980 as the wife's sister and family are  there. Used to be the St Clair. Only time on the Northlink boat was the Hjaltland in 2016,  going up in September but usually fly nowadays. Mind you the planes can easily get cancelled but they put you up in a hotel.
There's a bad bit about an hour south of Sumburgh called The Roost, and the other bit is in the Pentland Firth south of Orkney if it's not a direct sailing to Shetland. The only time I ever spewed was that bit in 2016 sailing from Aberdeen.The cabin was right in the bow and I was reading a book. Just came on suddenly.

22 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Been to Shetland about 10 times since 1980 as the wife's sister and family are  there. Used to be the St Clair. Only time on the Northlink boat was the Hjaltland in 2016,  going up in September but usually fly nowadays. Mind you the planes can easily get cancelled but they put you up in a hotel.
There's a bad bit about an hour south of Sumburgh called The Roost, and the other bit is in the Pentland Firth south of Orkney if it's not a direct sailing to Shetland. The only time I ever spewed was that bit in 2016 sailing from Aberdeen.The cabin was right in the bow and I was reading a book. Just came on suddenly.

I was never sick thankfully but that was a bad journey I had to stop for a sleep on the way home!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice morning in 1993 on the May holiday weekend. The Loch Fyne coming into Kyle and the Skye Bridge nearing completion. Beinn na Caillich at Broadford right behind it and the Cuillins to the right. Had a great day climbing Sgurr nan Gillean by the Tourist Route and down the West Ridge. Obviously been spending my isolation scanning old slides 😎

Untitled (4).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This was the 1964 Hebrides mentioned before. Cars on the lift coming out of the hold and a wee mannie top right controlling the lift. This is a side view as they have been pushed round on a turntable by the other two men. Tarbert, Harris, about 1984.

Untitled (4) (8).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 10:40 PM, IBM said:

Here is one I have never been on at Greenock.

IMG_9194.JPG

Been aboard that one a few times as it started in 1983 from Ardrossan to Brodick. After 10 years she moved to Kennacraig for Islay.

First photo is Port Askaig in 94, the other one is Oban in January this year.

dia_0003.jpg

7J1A7317.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the Iona at Armadale on a wet September weekend in 1991. Tried to introduce the kids to youth hostelling without success 😂

And a nice morning at Mallaig in April 1992 when 4 of us went over to Rum on the Lochmor.

Untitled (4) (4).jpg

Untitled (3) (3).jpg

You have sailed on more ferries than me!  I was going to us this as a clue for port Askaig but didn't need to.  I am not sure who operated this ship but it was renamed Quintana Roo and it's las location in of the coast of Nigeria.

SC00489119.jpg

Well a quick search tells you me it was run by Western Ferries from 69-76 on Kennacraig-Islay. It was the Mexican  Government who bought it and it was wrecked by Hurricane Wilma in 2005.

5 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Well a quick search tells you me it was run by Western Ferries from 69-76 on Kennacraig-Islay. It was the Mexican  Government who bought it and it was wrecked by Hurricane Wilma in 2005.

You must have a better Google than me :lol:  I only found this on Marine Traffic.

Quintana Roo.JPG