Ferries

The Mantis

The Ferguson's yard at Port Glasgow, closed with the unfinished hulk of the Calmac ferry after the ongoing SG fiasco. The other boat had been moved along to Greenock the previous day but I didn't know that at the time.

7J1A8023.jpg

Two Calmac operated boats, the Ali Cat (Gourock to Dunoon) and the Chieftain (Gourock to Kilchreggan).

7J1A8022.jpg

8 hours ago, TheMantis said:

The Ferguson's yard at Port Glasgow, closed with the unfinished hulk of the Calmac ferry after the ongoing SG fiasco. The other boat had been moved along to Greenock the previous day but I didn't know that at the time.

Two Calmac operated boats, the Ali Cat (Gourock to Dunoon) and the Chieftain (Gourock to Kilchreggan).

The Ferguson one is a bit of an embarrassment :ohmy: far too many people getting involved that know nothing about ferries they should have come on here for advice :wink:

That's another place I must go back to once this Covid is all over hopefully.

2 hours ago, TheMantis said:

But you must have had some contact with Brian Wilson 🤮

None whatsoever thankfully 😅 my parents lived in Strachur for about a year so I don't remember anything about the area only been there once 

2 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Whilst this thread is alive again, do you know where the picture below was taken?  One of my Dad's, from around 2000.  It will be straightforward if you've been there.

1762875743_040sml.jpg.c479c094f1f9df0511fe792f1b91d721.jpg

Been there many times on the ferry not the Inn though 😆 It's Ardgour

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IBM said:

None whatsoever thankfully 😅 my parents lived in Strachur for about a year so I don't remember anything about the area only been there once 

He lives in Lewis now. Big black Merc, no use if you're hopeless at reversing to the nearest passing place.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, IBM said:

Been there many times on the ferry not the Inn though 😆 It's Ardgour

Had a very nice meal there once a few years ago when we just missed the ferry and decided to eat and get a later one. Great views too. 

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Had a very nice meal there once a few years ago when we just missed the ferry and decided to eat and get a later one. Great views too. 

I am sure going back a lot of years there would have been many folk who would have gone into the bar while waiting for the ferry :wink:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I will be expecting Mantis to come up a new photo of the ferries on the Ullapool-Stornoway sailing with the great Loch Seaforth in dry dock.  Calmac need to improve as I have said before they should take a look at how well Pentland Ferries have done without any subsidy!

9 hours ago, IBM said:

I will be expecting Mantis to come up a new photo of the ferries on the Ullapool-Stornoway sailing with the great Loch Seaforth in dry dock.  Calmac need to improve as I have said before they should take a look at how well Pentland Ferries have done without any subsidy!

Aye it’s the old faithful the Isle of Lewis that’s on just now. I bet you can’t get Lasagne like that on the Pentland Ferries though 😉

On 5/2/2021 at 8:30 AM, TheMantis said:

Aye it’s the old faithful the Isle of Lewis that’s on just now. I bet you can’t get Lasagne like that on the Pentland Ferries though 😉

The Alfred is so quick you haven't got time for dinner 🤣

I remember on the Pentalina 11 you got a good 'hen broth' followed by stew and tatties 😋

• Funny 1

• 5 weeks later...

Here's the Loch Bhrusda in Stornoway 3 weeks ago. I think it's normally a Clyde relief vessel these days.

@IBM I see there's been a mention this morning of the Pentalina being drafted in to help out with the ferry crisis but it was in Gaelic so I didn't really get it all.

EOSR3341.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Pentalina is sailing from Kirkwall to Campbeltown tonight so it is likely to be used to help out Calmac better late than never although there is union opposition!

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, IBM said:

The Pentalina is sailing from Kirkwall to Campbeltown tonight so it is likely to be used to help out Calmac better late than never although there is union opposition!

Do you know what the disagreement is about? Working away from home?

Was aboard this old tub once more last weekend

EOSR4135.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 3:18 PM, IBM said:

I hope it wasn't crossing the Minch when the Loch Seaforth was out of service 🙈

Aye it would be a busy wee boat. We're off up there on the 1st of July again 😎