Ferries

The Mantis

31 minutes ago, Robert said:

Dodged a couple of downpours today but it has been remarkably good all week. Head back to Inverness via Lochmaddy - Uig on Monday.

I was in Lewis briefly countless years ago but this is the first time I’ve done the islands properly and I’d recommend it. My wife hates sailing but has loved it too. 

I bet your wife is wondering why you have been taking all the photos of the buses and ferries :lol:  at least we have a clue for the Let's go out of Sneck photos :wink:

• Funny 1

26 minutes ago, Robert said:

And our vessel back from Lochmaddy to Uig, moored at Uig as pierworks prevented a decent opportunity to get it aT Lochmaddy: MV Hebrides:

13BD8166-0BA3-40E8-A056-3A0CCB1D605B.jpeg

A 3,200-tonne concrete structure is to be towed 235 miles (378km) by sea from Belfast to Lochmaddy in North Uist.

The 33m (108ft) caisson will be used in Comhairle nan Eilean Siar's Lochmaddy Pier extension project.

The structure has been named Block Maddy - Bloca Loch nam Madadh in Gaelic - following a competition for local school children.

Now that would have been good to see!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 8:28 PM, IBM said:

A popular photo that many old folk had and still have on their wall.

IMG_1133.jpg

On 9/23/2022 at 8:05 AM, weeman said:

Never be so foolish as to go to ?????????????

Was it Ballachulish then?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, IBM said:

You picked a bad time to go west Mantis, I hope you were on the Isle of Lewis and not having to cross the minch in the Hebridean Isles :smile:

I think it was handling freight. We went on the Friday morning on the Loch Seaforth and back on the Isle of Lewis on Tuesday. The winter timetable started on the Monday and the Seaforth was away for her annual refit.

• 5 months later...

I presume this has been widely reported in the north?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/30/passengers-rescued-by-lifeboat-after-orkney-ferry-runs-aground

Has been refloated and docked now.

I'm sorry for all the people who spent the night without their campervans.  :lol:

Edited by snorbens_caleyman