Ferries

The Mantis

6 hours ago, IBM said:

I have been reading this article on BBC online which is a change from the normal news.

The Ferguson shipyard ships that nobody talks about - BBC News

What's gone wrong?  A company that was well run with a large experienced work force doing fine till people who don't know what they are doing take over running the company just looking to make a fortune without putting in the work.  They cut the staff getting rid of the most experienced workers to cut costs and hire others who are not up to doing the job!  It is so familiar throughout all industry now which is sad :sad: and everyone blames the other.

Without dragging this off topic it's pretty much the same story in many industries these days. The Railways are a prime example. 

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...

Here’s one of the Loch Seaforth arriving in Ullapool in February. I was a bit late arriving so hope to get better shots next Friday. 
uuid=B49959F0-77BB-4188-9781-8B314614061C&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg

• Like 1

I think they’re launching this Glen Rosa thing at Port Glasgow on Tuesday. Just wondering about heading through for it.

46 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Here’s one of the Loch Seaforth arriving in Ullapool in February. I was a bit late arriving so hope to get better shots next Friday. 
uuid=B49959F0-77BB-4188-9781-8B314614061C&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg

Good photo Mantis much better than you get from up a telephone pole :smile: 

I hope you get on!  It was double booked last week and the police were there to stop a riot, just as well it was before this new law was passed or they wouldn't be able to attend :lol:  There was a problem with the new computer system that cost them millions, might be Fujitsu :wink:  it worked fine when I used to phone them up to book always helpful.

55 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I think they’re launching this Glen Rosa thing at Port Glasgow on Tuesday. Just wondering about heading through for it.

I think it might be a damp squib but you can always say you were there and get a few special photos.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, IBM said:

Good photo Mantis much better than you get from up a telephone pole :smile: 

I hope you get on!  It was double booked last week and the police were there to stop a riot, just as well it was before this new law was passed or they wouldn't be able to attend :lol:  There was a problem with the new computer system that cost them millions, might be Fujitsu :wink:  it worked fine when I used to phone them up to book always helpful.

I just got an email from them this morning at 8.07 as two of us are going over to Islay on the 26th. The email is thanking me for my standby booking yet I booked about 6 weeks ago! I’ll have to phone them. A four hour drive to Kennacraig plus accommodation paid for, not to mention all the distillery visits which is about another £100…

Edit- got it changed to a confirmed booking even though we’ll be arriving about 7pm on the Friday and leaving about 1pm Monday. It’s because the MV Finlaggan is away for its annual refit so the Heb Isles and the LOTI are filling in. Had been hoping to nip over to Jura on the Friday afternoon but hey ho…

Edited by The Mantis

I was expecting superb drone footage of the launch of Glen Rosa today :wink:  I did see it on line with the weather being blamed and a hitch with wasting a good bottle of malt whisky :ohmy:

I was told a good story about Calmac that never makes the news.  At the port of Uig there was a full load booked and one large campervan on standby.  The loading officer thought he could take them all and put the campervan up front as normal with large vehicles but then they were left with one booked car not able to get on :sad:  an immediate shout was put out for all drivers to return to their vehicles, moving the forward a few inches the last car got onboard.  Great customer service all aboard:clapping:

• Agree 1

In case anyone is interested, Citylink are operating a coach service between Glasgow and Troon to connect with the Arran ferries operating there rather than Ardrossan until August to accommodate MV Alfred.

I’m told it’s normally operated by their first electric coach so a chance of an unusual photo if anyone is in the vicinity. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2024 at 11:01 PM, IBM said:

I was expecting superb drone footage of the launch of Glen Rosa today :wink:  I did see it on line with the weather being blamed and a hitch with wasting a good bottle of malt whisky :ohmy:

I was told a good story about Calmac that never makes the news.  At the port of Uig there was a full load booked and one large campervan on standby.  The loading officer thought he could take them all and put the campervan up front as normal with large vehicles but then they were left with one booked car not able to get on :sad:  an immediate shout was put out for all drivers to return to their vehicles, moving the forward a few inches the last car got onboard.  Great customer service all aboard:clapping:

Aye I think the weather warnings were a bit ott but I decided not to go. Wasn't sure how busy it would be and was going early in order to get parked, and it's not very handy for food etc out at Fergusons. Wondered if it would be too wet for the drone but it seems to have been dry enough. Had a scary time in Glasgow last weekend - nearly lost it in the wind 😂 Regretting it a wee bit now seeing all the photos.
I'm on a FB page called friends of calmac and there are countless stories about the kindness of the staff, despite 'non-friends' continually dragging it off topic. It angers many residents as Calmac actually have a reliability in the 97-99% range but the media have got a bee in their bonnet and apparently all the islands are cut off every week.
Anyway I'm off on the Loch Seaforth tomorrow so missing the QP game but I'll be in Sneckie next Friday night. So come and say hello if you’re in the North Stand - I sit with Caley100 and Billy Fisher and various TM4TJ incarnations.

Edited by The Mantis

High winds and a big swell forecast for tomorrow but the Loch Seaforth should glide through it or :pukeright:

I am going to miss the Raith game on Friday night as I got tickets for Eddi Reader before the game was changed for TV so will have to see you the next time.

On 4/11/2024 at 8:32 PM, IBM said:

High winds and a big swell forecast for tomorrow but the Loch Seaforth should glide through it or :pukeright:

I am going to miss the Raith game on Friday night as I got tickets for Eddi Reader before the game was changed for TV so will have to see you the next time.

Funny you should say that, got an email yesterday from Albert Halls in Stirling saying Eddi Reader is there on the 27th. We were there last month to see Beluga Lagoon! Not a massive fan but I’ll be in Islay anyway…

Seaforth was great just like the lasagne 😍

• Like 1