Ferries

The Mantis

I don’t know if it was mechanical failure that caused the smoke in the engine room but instead of turning the vessel round and backing up to the pier the pilot seems to have beached it on the shore west of the pier. 
I am sure the authorities will find out what happened but I don’t think there will be much damage. 
The opposition parties are blaming the Scottish Government 🤣 but this is a private company that has had no financial support from any government or council. A6AFBD9B-C07A-46AC-A072-C13C45554681.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There’s a good programme featuring CalMac ferries on BBC Scotland currently, with I think three episodes having been on so far.

It features crew members and issues relevant to island communities and is well worth a watch. 

• Thank You 2

Watched all 3 episodes so far. A really good insight into CalMac. I didn't realise some crews stay aboard for two weeks. I'd defo need sea legs for that job. Great program.:twothumbsup: 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, IBM said:

You must have a drone now to get these excellent photos 

Aye got one in April. They’re great value for money now. A mate demonstrated one for me 8 years ago so you can see I’m partial to an impulse buy 😂

• Funny 1

28 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Aye got one in April. They’re great value for money now. A mate demonstrated one for me 8 years ago so you can see I’m partial to an impulse buy 😂

You will have fun with that 😃 

we can expect to see a lot more photos from you now 😜

On 8/12/2023 at 7:34 AM, Gringo said:

Watched all 3 episodes so far. A really good insight into CalMac. I didn't realise some crews stay aboard for two weeks. I'd defo need sea legs for that job. Great program.:twothumbsup: 

On the bigger boats we worked 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, living aboard during our on-time. Cabins are compact but comfortable, and with ensuite shower and toilet on the newer boats.

2 on, 2 off sounds good, but we'd be working minimum 12 hours a day, which equates to at least an 84 hour week.

However, most of us were happy to get all the work done in a lump and then have 2 weeks uninterrupted leave.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Things have changed a lot!

I remember my father belting up the A82 hoping to make the last Ballachulish Ferry so we didn’t have to trail round by Kinlochleven, which always seemed to take hours despite only adding around 30 minutes to the journey.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Robert said:

I remember my father belting up the A82 hoping to make the last Ballachulish Ferry so we didn’t have to trail round by Kinlochleven, which always seemed to take hours despite only adding around 30 minutes to the journey.

In my case it was going round by the Kincardine Bridge to Fife as my old man was too tight to get the ferry. He actually worked on the construction of the road bridge and when it opened in September 1964 I was there with one of the girls from my primary class.

Some nice info there Gringers, and it sparked a few memories. Made me look up the date for the Clyde Tunnel opening (1963) as I thought it had always been there 😜

• Like 1

I was looking for Totaig - Dornie but I assume it wasn’t a car ferry so isn’t listed. When I was a teenager, two of us hiked all the way from Ratagan Hostel to Totaig as there was a ferry marked on the map. We had to walk back to Shiel Bridge and there was no way we were walking to Kyle from there so we got a bus. Maybe we should have asked at the hostel first 🤬

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 10:01 AM, Gringo said:

These may be of interest to some. From the AA Members Handbook 1962

ferry1.png

ferry2.png

ferry3.png

A lot of information there 😃 now you just Google. The only thing is if the internet is down we are buggered!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Robert said:

I remember that well going from Fort Augustus to Tyndrum and back. My father would not wait an one of my sisters who had travel sickness would be spewing all the way round the road 🤮 

I wasn’t bothered just kept checking out all the cars 🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

I think this is Strome off Gringo’s list

version=1&uuid=4AE86BDC-8977-40EE-BB3B-83EC5D09907B&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg

You are right Mantis 😊 the green one is a Standard 10 and the black one is an Austin 8 or 10. I have seen that picture before. 

• Like 1

A different ferry but highlighting the shortage exacerbated by the latest delay to the Glen Sannox, from the Cal Mac app:

Ardrossan (ARD) - Campbeltown (CAM)

Cancelled for the remainder of today

Service updates

Up to 25th September

As a result of vessel deployments, and the ongoing issues with MV Hebridean Isles, this service will unfortunately be cancelled for the remainder of the summer period – we do apologise to our customers and the community for this outcome. 

MV Hebridean Isles is currently berthed in Ayr following the most recent trials and inspections to fix her manoeuvrability issue. Further repairs to the vessel are being investigated to find a permanent fix. From Thursday 24th August the vessel will berth at Russel Quay Aberdeen for the commencement of work, prior to entering drydock in September.  

13 hours ago, The Mantis said:

He actually worked on the construction of the road bridge and when it opened in September 1964 I was there with one of the girls from my primary class.

Crossed it that very night - we were heading south to visit relatives in Newtongrange (aka Nitten-by-the-Bing).  The fog was so thick that my Mum had the passenger window down and was telling my Dad how close to the edge of the road we were.

• 3 months later...

I have been reading this article on BBC online which is a change from the normal news.

The Ferguson shipyard ships that nobody talks about - BBC News

What's gone wrong?  A company that was well run with a large experienced work force doing fine till people who don't know what they are doing take over running the company just looking to make a fortune without putting in the work.  They cut the staff getting rid of the most experienced workers to cut costs and hire others who are not up to doing the job!  It is so familiar throughout all industry now which is sad :sad: and everyone blames the other.

• Like 2