Ferries

The Mantis

I think it's the fact that the Pentalina has a smaller crew than the Calmac ferries but might be wrong. I can't see why a ferry that sails the Pentland Firth would be unable to sail on west coast routes although the minch might be the exception in bad weather.  Here is the article from the P&J yesterday. 

IMG_5139.JPG

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Pentalina spent last week on sea trials and berthing at the piers on the west coast and is now back in Kirkwall.  There has been nothing in the news to say if the trials were a success or not so we will have to wait for the next breakdown to find out if they call for assistance.

On another note I think mantis is visiting Lewis again but not using Calmac :wink:

The successor of Abeking & Rasmussen's motor yacht Elandess in detail. : Abeking & Rasmussen

In Stornoway tonight.

On 6/21/2021 at 11:03 PM, IBM said:

The Pentalina spent last week on sea trials and berthing at the piers on the west coast and is now back in Kirkwall.  There has been nothing in the news to say if the trials were a success or not so we will have to wait for the next breakdown to find out if they call for assistance.

On another note I think mantis is visiting Lewis again but not using Calmac :wink:

The successor of Abeking & Rasmussen's motor yacht Elandess in detail. : Abeking & Rasmussen

In Stornoway tonight.

Very nice but will she fit the link span at Ullapool? More importantly, is the lasagne any good?

I see the first if the two much delayed new vessels has been delayed again. Now looking like next autumn rather than the summer.

Two new ships will not be enough to paper over the cracks in the elderly fleet. A real investment plan is urgently needed. 

7 hours ago, Robert said:

I see the first if the two much delayed new vessels has been delayed again. Now looking like next autumn rather than the summer.

Two new ships will not be enough to paper over the cracks in the elderly fleet. A real investment plan is urgently needed. 

That contract has been a total shambles from the start and like many of the new green ideas I cant see the reasoning behind them.  Transporting gas to run these ferries hundreds of miles by road using diesel lorries :shrug:

It's like the one a digger driver was telling me last week about having to use electric diggers on windfarm sites that only ran for three hours then required to be charged using diesel generators :crazy:

12 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Very nice but will she fit the link span at Ullapool? More importantly, is the lasagne any good?

No it won't fit the link span :sad: but I am sure you would get a good lasagne on it :smile:

1 hour ago, IBM said:

No it won't fit the link span :sad: but I am sure you would get a good lasagne on it :smile:

Going up Thursday teatime sailing, it'll be long gone. The lasagne will be long gone by the Summer Isles.

33 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Going up Thursday teatime sailing, it'll be long gone. The lasagne will be long gone by the Summer Isles.

She is in at Tarbert tonight must be stocking up on Gin and Tweed! 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 9:48 PM, IBM said:

The Ferguson one is a bit of an embarrassment :ohmy: far too many people getting involved that know nothing about ferries they should have come on here for advice :wink:

That's another place I must go back to once this Covid is all over hopefully.

I was over that way on Sunday, took Mrs Mantis for a drive. Caught the Waverley a couple of times. This is the much discussed hybrid ship Glen Sannox which is back at the Ferguson yard. The handover date is now being forecast as April-June next year.

R5__7715.jpg

Also went to Largs which was hoochin. Huge queues for this ferry to Bute, because the second boat, the Loch Riddon, was lying off left at the far side of the pier, having broken down on Saturday...

R5__7739.jpg

Edited by TheMantis

• 2 months later...

The old Rosehaugh is still working although not as a ferry in the Cromarty Firth today.  For all the people that travelled across the wee firth and on the Corran waters on the ferry over many years although a bit rough looking it is still in service.

IMG_9988.jpg

• Thank You 1

Had a weekend in Mull last month. Here's the Isle of Lewis heading out to Barra (I think), and the Clansman coming back from Tiree (I think), in the Sound of Mull,just caught by luck when I was at Salen Pier looking for Otters...

R5__1138.jpg

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Had a weekend in Mull last month. Here's the Isle of Lewis heading out to Barra (I think), and the Clansman coming back from Tiree (I think), in the Sound of Mull,just caught by luck when I was at Salen Pier looking for Otters...

R5__1138.jpg

You are slacking Mantis what is the small boat?

1 hour ago, IBM said:

You are slacking Mantis what is the small boat?

Haha I was afraid you might ask that. Is that not a blue car sticking out of the Clansman?

p.s. will be on the Isle of Lewis next week as the Loch Seaforth will be away on its annual refit. So will not be in SY till 9 pm rather than 8pm.

Edited by TheMantis

14 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Haha I was afraid you might ask that. Is that not a blue car sticking out of the Clansman?

p.s. will be on the Isle of Lewis next week as the Loch Seaforth will be away on its annual refit. So will not be in SY till 9 pm rather than 8pm.

No it's the roof of a Scania Topline :wink:  

The Isle of Lewis won't be so good in the high winds forecast for next week :pukeright:

• Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Cheers, had to look that one up... wouldn't fancy that drive in the dark with a car never mind a tanker.

It's bad enough from Strontian to Salen but once you turn off towards Kilchoan it is what my wife would describe as an 'F' road :ohmy:

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe @IBM can shed more light on these, but I've noted everything I could find. I think I took these pics in August 1998. Maw, Paw and the weans went to Berneray for a day trip from Harris. Looks like we got the Loch Bhrusda to Otternish in North Uist, then a wee boat to Berneray. They were making the causeway between Berneray and Uist at the time and apparently this opened at the end of the year. It seems from the internet that the wee blue boat is the Eilean Bheàrnaraigh. Nowadays I think the ferry from Harris to Berneray is the Loch Portain, then you drive over the causeway to N. Uist.img20211224_16265248.jpg

img20211224_16272111.jpg