Player of the decade

Yngwie

David Raven - if only for that goal against Celtic in the Scottish Cup Semi Final.  Never forgotten and it’s a disgrace that he didn’t get a medal after the Final when subs who didn’t even play received a gong.  They should have handed one over to him, if they had any decency or conscience.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Garry Warren would be my choice.  He was with us for 6 seasons during this last decade with over 200 appearances.  He led our team by example through our most successful period and was a great ambassador both on and off the field.  It is so disappointing that his time at the club ended end in the way it did.

A shout also for Ross Draper.  He had just under 200 appearances for us this decade.  He played in that role in front of the back four where good work so often goes unnoticed.  He and Garry Warren were the 2 rocks our most successful period was built around.  And, yes, I know he went OTB, but we did get £100,000 for him by which time his best days were some way behind him!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is a tough one as we have been blessed with some quality players this decade. 

I don’t disagree with any of the above being shortlisted, particularly Warren, whilst Raven will always have a place in our hearts. How cruel their departures were.

Two I think are also worthy of mention are Graeme Shinnie and Greg Tansey. Both had great games for us, and played a part in our successful years. 

In terms of who the best player in the decade who played for us for part of it, a slightly different question, surely Ryan Christie would take some beating. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Am I right on saying we have only ever had one nominee for SPFA player of the year?

This was Andy Shinnie, who also got called up for Scotland whilst playing for ICT. Perhaps not our player of the decade due to being with us for fewer seasons than other contenders, but what an absolute class act he was when he was here. 

I would pick Ryan Christie as he came from our youth teams to first team in the Scottish Premiership and was part of the winning team.  Although he left for Celtic halfway through he is still 'One of our own'

• Agree 1

"Without doubt the most talented footballer that has come from Inverness," true but I think our perception has been influenced by what he has done since he left ICT where he was still a prospect with obvious ability and slightly built. For me Shinnie was excellent during his time for us, influential at both ends of the pitch and a great captain and leader ably backed up by Warren, Draper, Tansey, Watkins, Meekings.