Ryan Christie

DEANO96

I 'disregard' the 'one-year-option' when updating the 'Contract Situation' thread. 
Utterly ridiculous clause in a contract. If say, Dani Lopez had a 'one-year-option' on his contract, but we decided to release him at the end of the season, I don't think he could stay here and claim a wage for another season. We can't just use it when it suits us.
As much as I agree with virtually everything OCG posts, in this case, I beg to differ - Ryan is out of contract in the summer!

• Agree 1

This glosses over the questions as to why we have got ourselves in to this situation in the first place ?  This is like using a steristrip when stitches are needed. Stokes is NEVER going to come to us unless Cellic agree to paying a fair percentage of his wage - and that would highlight how much they want to get rid of him. But he would be as much playing for his own future in a shop window. But if this is knee jerk - as it looks to me - we may well survive but will we prosper ? Or perhaps we are back to reality after living the dream. Let's hope this is not Livingston or Gretna revisited ?

• Agree 2

agree with Sneckboy on this 

If we have a one year 'option' on the player then surely the player himself has the option to deny that? otherwise it is very similar to the contracts that Jim McLean used to issue at Dundee Utd 20 or 30 years ago where he tied up all the youngsters on ridiculously long contracts with club options to extend it beyond that. these were eventually deemed illegal or unenforceable and not worth the paper they were not written on ! 

• Agree 1

Well I don't think he is doing us any favours. Plus he seems to be remarkably unprepared and unable to replace these players. So fail in my book. I would prefer he just shuts up about them, instead of intimating that he would be happy to see them go.

A bit harsh on Yogi I think. You cannot force players to sign longer contracts, I suspect many don't want longer than 2 years anyway. As for being unprepared, this is a direct result of the ridiculous transfer window where what is happening with Ryan leaves Yogi with little chance of signing a replacement. He could have had players identified but until he can get the money in for any transfer, he cannot sign any players and by the time he does get the money, the players may not then be available. Does anyone know if the manager or the board dictate contract lengths?. I have more of an issue with board than Yogi over transfer dealings/signings as we seem to be a very soft touch.

• Agree 1

Huisdean is spot on (always a first time I suppose). As many others have alluded to this reeks of mismanagement and a return of the boardroom "secret society" stance. It tickle me that the Ask the Club section answers questions on toilets, pies, car parking etc. but avoids answering the important questions. People only go into conjecture when communications cease.

Well I don't think he is doing us any favours. Plus he seems to be remarkably unprepared and unable to replace these players. So fail in my book. I would prefer he just shuts up about them, instead of intimating that he would be happy to see them go.

I agree, I would prefer he said nothing than stuff like "when the old firm come calling you do not say no". Ryan has a decision to make and comments like this will only encourage him to join Celtic, in the meantime rubbing salt in it for us. Is there any need to publicly tell Ryan that he can't say no to Celtic? 

• Agree 2

Vigurs signing seemed strange at the time but if Christie is to leave (looks very likely) then we have a player that can play a similar role.  Roberts if he ever plays for us is also supposed to prefer the number 10 role.  Christie is a special talent but if there was a position that we could afford to sell a player from then that is it... we are losing half our goals this season though. 

The point is, we don't need to sell so we should be playing hard ball until they make us an offer we can't refuse.  

Stokes will not be moving to us so I think everyone that has that in their sights is well off the mark.  

I've heard £600k is agreed, if true that's a ******* joke 

I agree, I would prefer he said nothing than stuff like "when the old firm come calling you do not say no". Ryan has a decision to make and comments like this will only encourage him to join Celtic, in the meantime rubbing salt in it for us. Is there any need to publicly tell Ryan that he can't say no to Celtic? 

Agree - I thought that was a particularly naive comment. I also wasn't very keen to hear JH say that Ryan is a Celtic fan. Honesty is one thing, but there is a real skill to effective communication and these comments in particular were not very pallitable to ICT fans.

If this was a genuine club strategy, then it should have been meticulously planned before the end of last season, discussed with the player and then conducted behind closed doors while Hughes went searching for effective replacements for Shinnie, Mckay and Watkins. Now it is all too late and we're not in a position to spend any cash wisely (just panic buys). Hope the Stokes deal comes off in the short term, but please, please, please plan for next season or there will be an exodus in June which will cripple us.

• Agree 2

Some fairly big clubs have been linked with Stokes in the last few days.

So after hearing talk of Cardiff and Panathanaikos, I'm pretty sure Stokes would rather join an Orange Walk than join us.

Edited by Yngwie

I think that is fair. They are not going to pay a million when they can sign him on a pre-contract in 4 months.

If we couldn't agree a new deal for Christie, I would fancy our chances leaving it to a court to decide what is a fair settlement for training compensation. 

• Ryan Gauld - sold for £3 mil
  • James McCarthy - sold for £1.2 mil
  • Stuart Armstrong - sold for £2 mil

Both McCarthy and Armstrong have been awarded PFA and SFWA young player of the year awards, respectively. 

With Christie being SFWA young player of the year 2014/15, I think a good lawyer could easily make a very fair argument that > £1 mil is fair compensation. 

• Agree 2

It tickle me that the Ask the Club section answers questions on toilets, pies, car parking etc. but avoids answering the important questions. People only go into conjecture when communications cease.

The Ask The Club Section is defunct ! It was setup in conjunction with the Courier a while back to support their initiative to publish a monthly Q&A session and the questions were going to the Courier not the club so they could incorporate it in their monthly series. They abandoned this after only 1 article. Its all there in the forum description that hasn't changed since we added it. 

The "easy" questions get answered because - mostly CaleyD - knows the answers to these or can find them out very easily !

I think that is fair. They are not going to pay a million when they can sign him on a pre-contract in 4 months.

If we couldn't agree a new deal for Christie, I would fancy our chances leaving it to a court to decide what is a fair settlement for training compensation. 

Both McCarthy and Armstrong have been awarded PFA and SFWA young player of the year awards, respectively. 

With Christie being SFWA young player of the year 2014/15, I think a good lawyer could easily make a very fair argument that > £1 mil is fair compensation. 

Training compensation and market value are completely different things. I'm not even sure we'd get into 6 figures for the former.

• Agree 1

Training compensation and market value are completely different things. I'm not even sure we'd get into 6 figures for the former.

I seem to remember a figure of £5000 a year for every year the player was signed by the club as being the level of compensation. Dont remember where I got that from but think it came out in some tribunal. The better outcome in any deal, and bear in mind that none of us actually know what Celtic have offered, is that a decent level of sell on fee is agreed.

I 'disregard' the 'one-year-option' when updating the 'Contract Situation' thread. 
Utterly ridiculous clause in a contract. If say, Dani Lopez had a 'one-year-option' on his contract, but we decided to release him at the end of the season, I don't think he could stay here and claim a wage for another season. We can't just use it when it suits us.
As much as I agree with virtually everything OCG posts, in this case, I beg to differ - Ryan is out of contract in the summer!

If he goes and we get him and Stokes on loan, then 20% of our outfield team will be ineligible to play agains Celtic. 

I assume sponge bob square head John Collins will be in the media how this helps create the strong opposition they need to avoid getting regularly pumped out of the Champions League  

That is entirely dependant on lending club. There are many examples where players are permitted to play against their employers. Indeed we ourselves brought on Fetai at Ibrox. It was also reported in local press that Celtic gave permission for the lad Fisher to play against them but Tommy Wright felt it was too soon after him coming to St J.

Edited by Alex MacLeod
Is it just me or are some things going a bit wonky when using 'quote'

Well all the best Ryan. 

Hope all goes well with the negotiations, you never know you may be with an entirely different club come 6pm tomorrow who may have put in a far higher offer.

Trouble is he may not want to join that entirely different club.....