Ryan Christie

DEANO96

http://www.celticfc.net/news/8986

heres the Celtic statement they mention the recall in January is "An option which the club is likely to exercise"

Will next seasons tickets be any cheaper in the championship? You would think the club would have taken a look at Dundee United to see what happens when all your good players leave you

Edited by lightlamp2
  • Agree 1

With Celtic just receiving £11.5 million for Van Dijk, and their fans up in arms demanding more investment in the team, this would have been an extremely auspicious time for ICT to play hardball. The pressure was on the Celtic board. Having already stated their interest in Christie, missing out on his signature by lowballing Inverness over an extremely modest £1 million transfer fee (by Celtic's standards) would have been a huge embarrassment.

• Agree 1

What he's been saying at the conference isn't promising. Things like "I would be more than happy coming back in January" and "as soon as I get the chance I want to go"

So basically we've only got him for 4 months. Can't play against Celtic and a conflict of interests

Still no official word on the final fee?? 

Have we ever publicised transfer fees? Not that I can recall anyway.

Have we ever sold a player of note (apart from Niculae-gate) 

£65k for Rankin & £150k for Mckay??

Edited by Harry Chibber
short term memory loss

What he's been saying at the conference isn't promising. Things like "I would be more than happy coming back in January" and "as soon as I get the chance I want to go"

So basically we've only got him for 4 months. Can't play against Celtic and a conflict of interests

To be fair to the guy he hasn't signed for Celtic to stay with us any longer than he has to. He'll want to get into the Celtic first team and there's no reason why he can't.

• Agree 3

£65k for Rankin??

Mckay, Brown and Cowie too.  The point is I don't think the club ever announce or confirm fees, and nor should they.

£65k for Rankin??

Billy Mckay for £150k of course. It was 65k we paid to get Rankin - it's published that we sold him for around £110k.
As for Christie, I've just watched STV North Tonight and Chris Harvey was reporting the transfer to Celtic. His exact words were that "Caley Thistle received just over half-a-million pounds"

You both somehow got there before I got the chance to edit my post.. 

No chance we got £110k for Rankin  

If the original offer for Christie was £500k and we rejected the offer twice before accepting then I would certainly hope that we have got more than "just over half-a-million"

Edited by Harry Chibber
Wiki says otherwise

The whole thing is pretty depressing after the highs of last season. Celtic have been extremely cynical in waiting until the last day of the transfer window, knowing we couldn't refuse a half-decent offer, which is all it is, especially considering the fees other young Scottish players have gone for. Totally agree that we should have played hardball, even if it meant taking a big risk. At the very least we should have insisted on the loan back to be the whole season. I also hope, but probably in vain, that we insisted on appearance bonuses to up the fee, and a big percentage of any sell-on fee (Lyon apparently got 25% of Monaco's fee from Man U, for example). 

On the playing side, I wonder if this will work out for Ryan. Many young promising players have disappeared at Celtic, not getting the opportunities or consistency they needed. They have a pretty bloated squad already. I think he would have been well advised to bide his time and mature his game before leaving for bigger pastures. The choice would then be greater for him in terms of options of bigger clubs. I think a team with a more progressive young manager would have suited him better, without all the baggage and delusions of Celtic. Look how rubbish they were against Malmo, for instance.

And can we trust Hughes to spend any funds wisely? After the rotten transfer policy of this summer, I remain to be convinced.

Edited by The Long Man
  • Agree 2

Think Celtic are taking the mickey, getting £11.5m for VvD and initially only bidding half a mil for Christie. Hope the final amount is much greater but I'm not confident. Presumably he can't play v Celtic. How about Scottish Cup and League Cup games - presumably they don't want him cup-tied?

Very depressing business. Welcome to the two new loan chaps. Hope they're good, like it here, and want to stay. And for goodness sake let's see more of the Development Squad, er, develop.

Am I not right in saying that should he return to Celtic in January, he'd be cup tied for the Europa League?  I'm a bit disappointed we've dealt with Celtic after their dreadful antics towards Meekings last season to be honest.

• Agree 2

Am I not right in saying that should he return to Celtic in January, he'd be cup tied for the Europa League?  I'm a bit disappointed we've dealt with Celtic after their dreadful antics towards Meekings last season to be honest.

I've just looked that up on UEFA's website. Apparently, Ryan would be free to play for Celtic in Europe!

Can a player play in UEFA competition for more than one club in the same season?
A player may not play in a UEFA club competition (UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League) for more than one club in the course of the same season.
However, a player can play for one club in the qualifying rounds or the play-offs of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League, and then represent another club from the group stage of either competition.

To be fair to the guy he hasn't signed for Celtic to stay with us any longer than he has to. He'll want to get into the Celtic first team and there's no reason why he can't.

I genuinely think he's too good for Celtic. He's 2 passes ahead of everyone. I hope for the sake of the national side we see him join a true Champions League club. 

You mean exploiting the weakness of a small club with their strong arm tactics and financial muscle to underpay for a player and diminish the opposition, instead of understanding that a healthy SPL requires a degree of fairness and respect for other clubs. Besides, Deila has shown no aptitude for harnessing what talent he has, so I am not convinced it is in Ryan's best interests either.

I know we are all disappointed that Ryan has been sold and that we didn't get more for him but that does not mean that Celtic have done anything wrong in the way they have gone about their business.  You may think Celtic paid too little for him but where were the better offers?  Why on earth should Celtic pay more for a player than the selling club is prepared to accept?  Our Board were under no obligation to accept any offer so if you are unhappy about the sale have a pop at the Board for accepting the offer and for not having Ryan on a longer contract, or have a pop at Ryan himself if he was unwilling to move anywhere other than Celtic.  Exactly what aspect of the deal (as much as we know of it) shows unfairness and a lack of respect on Celtic's part?

We may wish the league to be more even but it is what is and Celtic, quite rightly, will look after their own interests first and foremost.  They know they are going to win the league at a canter and their focus is on Europe.  But bear in mind that if Celtic are successful in Europe then we all benefit.  Had Celtic reached the group stages of the Champions league then there would have been a considerable payment to all the SPL clubs.  Let us hope that next season Ryan's contribution can help Celtic reach the Group stage and benefit comes to us and the rest of our league as a result.

• Agree 5