Ryan Christie

DEANO96

20 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I would tell you where to and how much for but the Seer Society would disown me. But 14 % is bang on and Cellic are negotiating over the pay off. As a betting man I would be backing Leeds United maself.

So if your figures are right the timothys only need about £5.4m to break even. Hope we tell them to do one.

• Agree 1

According to at least one of the directors, it's not 14% and we were the ones who approached Celtic a few months back asking how much they'd offer us to buy out the sell on clause and the other uplifts because we were at the point where we had no money in the bank to pay wages and the previous chairman thought he could also use the money to recoup loans he'd made to the club.

28 minutes ago, Buster said:

According to at least one of the directors, it's not 14% and we were the ones who approached Celtic a few months back asking how much they'd offer us to buy out the sell on clause and the other uplifts because we were at the point where we had no money in the bank to pay wages and the previous chairman thought he could also use the money to recoup loans he'd made to the club.

That sounds more believable. I can’t see any benefit to Celtic of making the approach as a low offer would rather give the game away as to what they may be willing to accept for Ryan.  Also, my understanding is that 14% is not the figure agreed. 

Having said that, regardless of who is taking the initiative I would say both clubs should be happy to agree £2million at this point. That would make it clear to other clubs that they needn’t bother making offers under £20m. Whilst higher transfers could give us more, £2m is more than we could have expected when Ryan moved to Celtic so if Celtic get more than £20m then good luck to them. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Complete rubbish Christies going nowhere and wev no sell on clause anyway! 

He may and we do. 

3 hours ago, Buster said:

I have heard a number higher than 14 as well. If his value is reputed to be in the £14m range then accepting less than £2.8m from Celtic would be folly ...... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, TheMantis said:

So if your figures are right the timothys only need about £5.4m to break even. Hope we tell them to do one.

Couldn't agree more Mantis, if he is leaving no way will it be for £14M not when a full back left for over £20M. Can't criticise Celtic for attempting to take advantage of our financial situation to enrich themselves but we should tell them in no uncertain terms where they should go. If an approach has been made on this subject then it suggests that he is indeed leaving Celtic however, the £14M figure sounds like a plant by their friends in the media to influence the negotiations with ICT over the sell on clause. I hope our board have sufficient nous to see through this well worn tactic.

• Agree 1

Do people really think a club going for a historic 9 or 10 in a row is looking to offload a key player at a crucial time in the season?

Or that even if that very happy and settled player was looking to leave, his club would spend precious time renegotiating an agreed contractual arrangement?

There is one club here that is desperate for cash, which makes Buster's post above the most credible.

He also has a long way to go to justify any 20m transfer fee.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

if he is leaving no way will it be for £14M not when a full back left for over £20M.

Totally different scenario. Tierney was not only established at Celtic for many campaigns domestic and Europe but also Scotland, in addition everyone sees him as on a par at LB to Robertson (when playing for Scotland). Given how Robertson has developed and is so pivotal to Liverpool with his runs & assists it was inevitable other big clubs would look at his equal and wonder if he can give the same - Celtic played it well and pushed to the £25M mark - he's probably not worth that figure but its a decent gamble for Arsenal when they see how Robertson is now a £40-50M player or more.

• Agree 1

I've heard the sell-on clause is 20% but it's also worth considering that Ryan's agent would also benefits, handsomely, from any move.  I may be wrong but I understand they're very close.

If Ryan was Belgian, Croatian or English he'd be worth £40-50M but I would suggest Celtic would be looking at ca. £25M in the current market.    Aside from Robertson (when playing for Liverpool I would hasten to add) the best player Scotland has at present but significantly under valued in the eyes of EPL clubs.

4 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Totally different scenario. Tierney was not only established at Celtic for many campaigns domestic and Europe but also Scotland, in addition everyone sees him as on a par at LB to Robertson (when playing for Scotland). Given how Robertson has developed and is so pivotal to Liverpool with his runs & assists it was inevitable other big clubs would look at his equal and wonder if he can give the same - Celtic played it well and pushed to the £25M mark - he's probably not worth that figure but its a decent gamble for Arsenal when they see how Robertson is now a £40-50M player or more.

Fair comment, but had a glance at Wiki and Ryan has 10 caps compared to Tierney's 12. Also Tierney played 102 times for Celtic and Ryan only 48 (with 21 goals). But Ryan also has 108 premiership games between us and Aberdeen. Talk on here seems to have shifted to the January window, whereas I've been talking about season's end up till now.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:29 AM, bdu98196 said:

McBurnie went for £17.5M and has half the talent of Christie and way less than half the goals. Even allowing for the fact that SPL players are usually under valued I think Christie will fetch more than £20M. Like Mantis I don't see him leaving until the end of the season at the earliest.

• Funny 1

On 1/8/2020 at 8:06 AM, RiG said:

I don't know what's more ridiculous - that people think Celtic would be looking to sell Christie at this time or that posters are still replying to Alan Simpsons posts :laugh: 

Haha coz I'm the only guy on here that actually nos what he's talking about my man won the Europa League with Legia Warsaw on Champs manager I no my stuff

• Funny 3
  • Sad 2

Well, Alan, you certainly are a different kettle of fish my man! Smile.

But, personally speaking I, do feel that you have  a way of brightening up a punter's day. At least you are refreshingly different and no doubt have made several points that have turned heads and been close to the truth,  etc.

So..keep on truckin,    and  buckin ….the trend. And one day you may be the top :banana:…. with maybe Dougal as your sidekick......eh?  :bluesbros:

• Disagree 1