Ryan Christie

DEANO96

PerfICT, Sneckboy.  You normally make such sensible posts.  What's happened?  It seems young Ryan's departure has you all in a tizzy  Let's get a bit of "Perfsnecktive" here.

Nobody is saying Ryan is not a good player and nobody is saying his departure won't make us weaker in the short term.  We would only be stronger if we replaced him with a better player - which is probably unlikely.  Making a comparison with Messi is even more absurd than most of the hype (although no doubt very tongue in cheek). 

According to the stats on the website, Ryan has scored just 9 goals during his career here.  Some way short of Messi and someway short of his old man as well!  He is a good player with the potential to be a very good player but the level he has reached so far is broadly in line with other decent midfield players we have had and who have moved on e.g. Cowie, Rankin, Hayes, Robson.  Of course I would like him to have stayed, but we always knew he would go sooner or later.  So be it.  He's moving on so let's just accept it and recognise that most of the players who contributed to the club's success last year are still here (albeit on crutches). It is maybe time to give them a bit of appreciation rather than trying to hype up Christie to God like status compared to the rest of the team.  Thank you, Ryan.  Goodbye and good luck.

• Agree 1

Totally agree DD. While Ryan has potential, he is by no means the finished article although some posters would have you believe otherwise. Football is a team game and it is very disrespectful to Ryan's team mates to put him on the type of pedestal some posters do.

I too like "Perfsnecktive"!
But anyway, I'm just a little perplexed that his transfer has caused such a divide in opinion.
If there had been no activity in this window, regarding an approach for Ryan, I doubt there would have been too many dissenting voices questioning his calibre.
For me, he'll turn out to be the best player ever from the Highlands.

• Agree 1

He is just a kid. To the Naysayers and the negative criticisers of him. Give him and all of us a break, please.

Best thing is to be kind to him, wish him well and he will remember that in the future. Let's hope he does very well at Parkhead. Then Celtic will be back for more good players as time progresses and that will help us to stay in existence and allow us to continue to produce great  and skilful players. We could never afford his salary ever. Frankly-speaking I would rather criticise  the huge salary than the young man 

Because , as I said, he is just a kid..........:ohmy:

Promising talent - certainly one of the best to come through the current club set-up. Wish him all the best in his future endeavours and in the limited time he has remaining playing for us. Potentially a lot better than Celtic and hopefully he will show that. Sad that Liverpool never took the hint more seriously.

Just in the door. 2-1 win for Scotland with Ryan scoring the equaliser with a cracking right foot finish after getting in behind. In truth Scotland should have won by a far larger margin, NI keeper made a few good saves and a few other opportunities were wasted. The 3 players in behind Cummings (Christie, Fraser & Gauld) were a step above anyone else on the park and played some really neat intricate stuff. Ryan certainly belongs on that type of level so let's make the most of him while he's here. 

Edited by Hiro
autocorrect changing names on me
  • Agree 6

The best way I can put it is: before Ryan I can't remember the last time ICT had a player where I got a wee thrill (!) and sat up in my seat expecting something to happen when he got the ball....

Might have been when Charlie was in the midfield :lol: 

Darn it. If only that game came earlier, and we'd have got 100m for our under 21 sensation. 

I'd rather have him or Gauld in the full team than Forrest. Who just gets the ball, runs, forgets to cross and overhits it over the bye line. Fast but little else. 

Is Ryan Christie really so good ?

How many goals has he actually scored/ assisted in how many games?

He also seemed very lightweight against Partick & Hamilton recently.

Great left foot and loads potential.....but ?

Do you go to games?

Do you?

There is a player of the year poll on this site for folk who do go to matches, so let's have a look at what they think.  We have had 3 home league games this season and there have been a total of 101 votes for MOTM.  Christie has received just 5 votes for MOTM and 9 votes as runner up.  This compares with Williams with 39 votes for MOTM and 16 as runner up.  Interestingly, one of our much maligned new signings, Mutombo, has12 votes for MOTM and 22 for runner up.

I think this evidence supports that Ten4 has it just about spot on.  Christie is good, but he has only just "emerged" and has only rarely had a game where he has been very good.  Some of the hype about him really is very OTT.

As many as I can yes and living in the central belt thats very rarely a home game but I get to a lot of the away games and Ryan is always quite clearly a class above. He didn't win two of nine Young Player of the Months and the Football Writer's Young Player of the Year last season by 'only rarely' putting in a very good performance. I also didn't see Celtic putting in any bids for Danny Williams despite CTO posters voting him MOTM 34 more times in our three home games. Suggesting Ryan wasn't/isn't our most talented player is just absurd.

• Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think RC has gone too early he is a young player with promise but needs to establish himself as a Celtic regular otherwise he could go the way of so many other promising players. If you were offered such a pay rise you would take it. That said the standard of Scottish Football has declined substantially, I recall ICT beating a good Celtic side after they had beaten Liverpool 2-0 at Annfield and that was when we were a first Div side. I find the constant looting of promising players by the OF irritating. Let's face it, if the league was any good the English premiership and Championship would take any Scottish player they please including from the OF. The standard is much lower than it was in the 1980's which again was lower than the 70's, 60's and 50's. I think that Vigurs is a stronger player than Christie and will ultimately provide more assists and score more goals assuming he keeps the head, it's an unfair comparison since Vigurs is 27 but I think he will be a more effective player given time and a fair wind (injuries etc).

To put things in perspective how would you rate Ryan to Ian Durrant at the same age? and NO I don't have a second team.

That's a hard post to follow because , yes, Vigurs is more experienced and when he sets his mind to it he is a rough ride for any opposing player to handle.

Christie has youth and verve on his side but what I have seen of Vigurs suggests that he could be a stalwart for ICT if he listens to JH , works hard on the training pitch and plays up to his potential. He's a determined fella and strong physically. Let's hope his sojourn at ICT again proves to be a cracker for both himself and team. Whether he could ever be more than just a player woul depend on his mental capacity to listen, learn and apply what he learns from John the One.

IMHO.:wink:

• Agree 1

And, frankly, I have a strange feeling that right now Iain Vigurs  is living a bit in his past and is a bit cowed by his history and is somewhat afraid to put his foot in it and fail perhaps again. Apart from anything else if he doesn't make it in Inverness what would his future  turn out to be at this juncture?

In other words, he is perhaps currently feeling his position and his play does indicate a bit of hesitation as to making it more robust e.g. he appears to be avoiding tackles. Anybody else  have the same feelings as I do I wonder?

Is the flair there, like?:ictscarf:

• 3 years later...

According to Gordy Fyfe the club have earned £100k from Ryan Christie now having made 40 starts for Celtic.

When asked why the club hadn't put out anything about it, he said that it was because the Chairman has been away working in America.

On 9/1/2015 at 11:40 PM, TopSix said:

I genuinely think he's too good for Celtic. He's 2 passes ahead of everyone. I hope for the sake of the national side we see him join a true Champions League club. 

Still stand by this comment. Far too good for Celtic. 

• Agree 1