Stadium announcements in Gaelic.

TopSix

Could we make money out of this?

Promote it in the Tourist Office and sell tickets there and we may just appeal to foreign visitors looking to do something different and bring in some well needed cash and increase attendance.  Possibly do an add on when matches are on to a Jacobite Tour with free travel on the shuttle bus from and to the Bus Station to make it easy. 

Just a thought!

Edited by Robert

45 minutes ago, Robert said:

Could we make money out of this?

Promote it in the Tourist Office and sell tickets there and we may just appeal to foreign visitors looking to do something different and bring in some well needed cash and increase attendance.  Possibly do an add on when matches are on to a Jacobite Tour with free travel on the shuttle bus from and to the Bus Station to make it easy. 

Just a thought!

'The Outlander Arena' 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eye Settee said:

Incomprehensible in 2 languages now.

They’ve been better of late. 

Having read the piece on the club website, it is youngsters doing the Gaelic translation, so we should encourage them.

I would like to see the club exploit any financial advantage they can get from this given the number of visitors to our area. 

21 hours ago, Robert said:

They’ve been better of late. 

Having read the piece on the club website, it is youngsters doing the Gaelic translation, so we should encourage them.

I would like to see the club exploit any financial advantage they can get from this given the number of visitors to our area. 

Seriously? Do you honestly believe visitors are going to flock to the stadium to listen to gaelic football announcements? The word deluded springs to mind.

Edited by madsooz
  • Agree 2

One would think from reading the highland council's website that there are people in this country who cannot understand English and who need a Gaelic translation. A great deal of money is wasted in providing documents in Gaelic, employing Gaelic speakers, painting Poileas on all our country's police cars as though no one would recognise a police can when they saw one and putting all place names in Gaelic even in areas where traditionally it was never spoken. By the way Poileas is a made up Gaelic name for police, there were no police when Gaelic was the original spoken language in the west coast and islands of Scotland, a bit like helicopter.

As a MacDonald whose parents learned Gaelic at home before being taught English at school I feel perfectly free to say, stop this nonsense and give the money saved to a Highland football club based in the capital. After all, if the Spanish government could bail out Real Madrid as they did to the tune of I think, Eu300M what's to stop the Scottish government doing likewise?

Just a thought.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, madsooz said:

Seriously? Do you honestly believe visitors are going to flock to the stadium to listen to gaelic football announcements? The word deluded springs to mind.

That’s harsh!

Everyone is slagging the club off for not trying things. If they are going to do bilingual announcements, given the level of tourism in the area and the criticism of not having a shop in the City Centre, why not link the two things. 

It will only cost some commission and if it gets a few extra into the ground, visitors or locals, why not?

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Robert said:

That’s harsh!

Everyone is slagging the club off for not trying things. If they are going to do bilingual announcements, given the level of tourism in the area and the criticism of not having a shop in the City Centre, why not link the two things. 

It will only cost some commission and if it gets a few extra into the ground, visitors or locals, why not?

It's not harsh, we as a country are being made into a parody of what our country was and is, we are being portrayed as kilt wearing, bagpipe playing, gaelic speaking, whisky drinking Johnnie Soutars living in Brigadoon. Whilst our football might suggest we are living 200 years ago our country has a fine history in every field of human endeavour as regards modern nations which our so called government wants to convert into a shortbread tin caricature. For more ranting on this subject see the above post.

Just for the record, I’ve never said I agree with the announcements being made, but the club is using local youngsters to do them which is community engagement. 

All I was highlighting was that, if we are going to do them, we should at least try to capitalise on them. 

I am a Highlander and proud of it, having been away for work for a while and coming back to the area it has changed immensely and our economy, whether we like it if not, depends greatly on tourism. 

Anyway, I’m going to shut up on this and respect the views of others. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert said:

If they are going to do bilingual announcements, given the level of tourism in the area and the criticism of not having a shop in the City Centre, why not link the two things.

So why not do the announcements in a language that the tourists will understand?

Or Polish or Romanian - possibly more local speakers of these languages than of Gaelic.

I might even suggest a good case for Italian, although a waiter in Little Italy last year told me that the Italian community in Sneck had all but disintegrated.