Quarter finals

ictchris

Saw a tweet earlier that we have qualified for 12 Scottish cup quarter finals in the our 26 season’s in the league. A very good haul, thought I’d revisit them.

1995/96 - It was actually an epic cup run that saw us beat Livi in an epic tie (goals were all over Twitter last week), then two away wins over East Fife and Stenhousemuir (both in higher leagues than us) saw us draw Rangers at home. The game was played at Tannadice and the star studded Rangers team beat us pretty easily. It was quite something to see Grassa Bennet and Alan Hercher go up against Laudrup and Gascoigne but we acquited ourselves well in a 3-0 loss.

2001/02 - We smashed Hearts 3-1 at Tynecastle to get a tie with the eventual First Division Champions Partick Thistle. The first game was excellent, really good atmosphere. I remember standing outside Firhill waiting for someone and we had what seemed a huge support. We took the lead twice but were pegged back by Partick hero Scott Paterson, who always looked like he’d rather be playing bass in ocean Colour Scene than playing football. He scored the winner in the replay as well, I think they were the only goals he ever scored.

2002/03 - our first quarter final victory, we beat Celtic 1-0 in a live Sunday night game. This is overall probably the best win over Celtic we’ve had in th cup, this was a team who reached the UEFA Cup final as opposed to the John Barnes shambles a few years before. Henrik Larson also played but was outshone when Dennis Wyness knocked home the only goal and we withstood a battering to hold on. My mate Dave, a sometime poster on this site, ran down and goaded a group of Celtic fans at the end, a fond memory as the rage faced trampy Celtic minks were silenced.

2003/04 - I couldn’t get to this one as my cousin got married. Barry Wilson hit the only goal from approximately 250 yards out though and I had the double whammy of getting a text to let me know we’d won and finding out there was a free bar at the wedding in the space of five minutes. What a day.

2006/07 - We beat Stirling and Dundee Utd on the way to a tie against Celtic and it was one of the most gut wrenching games I’ve ever been at. A superb performance had us a goal up and heading for the semis but Kenny Miller and Steven Pressley scored in the  last minute to take it away from us. Graham Baynes performance in this game was one of the best lone frontman showings I’ve seen from anyone, probably his best game for the club. Brutal.

2008/09 - We lost to Falkirk in this game and I genuinely have no memory of it. I think I was there but I can’t remember it. Can’t have happened. A mirage.

2010/11 - The original game was postponed and I remember finding some pub in Edinburgh that was showing the rearranged game. We took the lead through a Rooney penalty but were immediately pegged back and lost in a disappointing but less heartbreaking manner than a few years before,

2013/14 - By some distance the biggest thumping on this list, Dundee Utd absolutely destroyed us 5-0 at home. We also had Tansey and Watkins sent off, I’m sure Watkins just thought f*ck it and halfed someone with 20 minutes to go to get out of it. I couldn’t get out of work so watched it at my desk on a shaky BBC feed. Every time the picture depixelated we had conceded another goal. Interestingly, three of the Utd scorers that day have trained at some level withus - Gavin Gunning, Gary. MacKay-Steven and Stuart Armstrong. Traitors.

2014/15 - considering the emotional wringer that was the semi final and final this years quarter was a walk in the park, a routine 1-0 over Raith with Danny ‘F*cking’ Devine the scoring. 

2015/16;- our defence of the trophy ended in the quarters this year when eventual winners and this years opponents Hibs beat us ina replay. Highlight of the first game was a glorious finish from Andréa Mbuyi-Mutombo, who has his shorts pulled down by John Hughes post game, classic banter lads lads lads. Yogi also punched Liam Polworth while celebrating the goal. I think he was trying to tell us something. The replay was a squib as we fell behind early.

2018/19 - Last years game was another I had to miss (word of warning to the youth: don’t get old, get a responsible job or a family) but watched on television delighted as we outplayed United and stole victory with a last minute Doran header. Probably one of our best performance of the season.

What are everyone’s favourite quarter final memories?

Edited by ictchris
  • Like 4

A great post Chris.  So many memories and what a fantastic achievement to get to 12 quarter finals in such a short space of time.  I've only missed a couple of these games, the moments that stand out are Barry Wilson's wonder goal against Motherwell, the Hearts game in 01/02, the 1996 Rangers game was such a wonderful occasion and we were so unlucky not to score that day.  Looking forward to this years trip(s) to Hampden ?

• Agree 1

Hibs really fancy their chances '

Hibs assistant head coach John Potter has urged the Easter Road squad to forget dreaming of Scottish Cup glory and concentrate on cementing their place in the Premiership’s top six.

A favourable quarter-final draw pitching Hibs at home against Inverness Caledonian Thistle, the lowest ranked club remaining in the competition, has given them an outstanding chance of progressing into the last four.'

It would be daft of Hibs not to fancy their chances ..... but as we have found out to our cost - and also to our benefit - over the last 25 years, you write off the underdogs at your peril. I think we often play a lot better when we have nothing to lose, and our cup pedigree is nothing if not impressive, so hopefully it will be a tight and enjoyable tussle and a return to Hampden for the Caley Jags ! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ictchris said:

2008/09 - We lost to Falkirk in this game and I genuinely have no memory of it. I think I was there but I can’t remember it. Can’t have happened. A mirage.

I had to Google this game as I don't remember it at all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/7926815.stm

Seems Mallo pulled off a number of good saves in this game just like he would do a few months later...

9 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I remember being out in the open wings of the main stand for the Partick game and the weather was absolutely brutal. The 2-2 game in Maryhill was class though.

That 2-2 game was tense. When we were 2-1 up I was actually feeling sick with the tension ?
And driving up the road for the replay in that weather was something else.

Edited by TheMantis

Aye..........the Partick replay. I had to be in London and spent the whole of the game cowering at the bottom of my mates garden in the pouring rain clutching my tiny transistor radio. The radio scotland reception was so faint that i had to keep moving amongst his begonias. The weather was a sbad down there as it must have been at the game..............the winner was a sickener

Aye the game at Maryhill - roadworks on the A1 and a broken down artic on the A66 put me way behind - belted up the M6 and M74 at speeds I didn't think my wee Corolla was capable of, got lucky with a parking space not too far from the ground just after kick-off, then got blasted with the cheering for the first goal just as I was running up the steps into the stand - FECK!

The Thistle 2-2 match was a classic with a great atmosphere was gutted when Patterson equalised in virtually the final minute. The 1-0 against the Celtic Europa league finalists was amazing and I doubt will ever be beaten, have never seen the ground so packed plus people standing on the bridge and on top of caravans, I never thought we got the credit which that result deserved in fact it was almost ignored by the football press as they were so in love with the Tic and their exploits that year.

9 hours ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Hibs really fancy their chances '

Hibs assistant head coach John Potter has urged the Easter Road squad to forget dreaming of Scottish Cup glory and concentrate on cementing their place in the Premiership’s top six.

A favourable quarter-final draw pitching Hibs at home against Inverness Caledonian Thistle, the lowest ranked club remaining in the competition, has given them an outstanding chance of progressing into the last four.'

In one sense, I want to believe this. That they'll play a younger team, a weaker one, no Christian Doidge, no proper decent players.

In another, I want to feel they're lulling us into a false sense of illusion, that they'll start a really good team and we get scuppered and go home heartbroken...

2 hours ago, TopSix said:

I enjoyed the 1-0 over Celtic. The terracing was a class atmosphere and standing 10 yards away from Larsson seemed surreal. Enjoyed the GIRUYs to the Invernesian Celtic fans I knew who were in our end at the end of the match. 

There was a random Celtic fan beside me in the main stand that night. Jumped up and down hugging him and made him join in too once we went 1-0 up.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 2/11/2020 at 9:12 PM, Jack Waddington said:

In one sense, I want to believe this. That they'll play a younger team, a weaker one, no Christian Doidge, no proper decent players.

In another, I want to feel they're lulling us into a false sense of illusion, that they'll start a really good team and we get scuppered and go home heartbroken...

I find it hard to believe that any Prem team, aside from the OF, would play a weakened side in the cup. Apart from the league cup it's their only realistic chance of any silverware. I fully expect Hibs to be well up for the QF with the strongest side they can muster.

10 hours ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Coll needs a hug after being involved in Hibs three goals last night. Hibs looked very dangerous but the good news is that Coll will not be in our defence when we play them.

And Vigurs got his customary booking!

Hibs sit sixth, one place below Livingston, so we should go there with no fear and give it our best shot. We’ve nothing to lose!

• Like 1

Suspect it's going to be Friday night which is a shame as we probably won't take as many down if it was a Saturday night.

They need to get their skates on and clarify things given it's 2 weeks before the first Quarter Final is due to be played.

• Agree 2

Based on:

• Hibs and Hearts play on the following Tuesday so they won't (shouldn't?) play on Sunday
  • ICT play on the following Tuesday so won't (shouldn't?) get a Sunday KO
  • The police won't want Hibs and Hearts playing at home on the same day especially when one game involves Rangers
  • Hibs v ICT on Friday will be less problematic for the police than Hearts v Rangers
  • Rangers are playing on the Wednesday before the Q/F weekend so a Friday kick off wouldn't be good for them

So that will likely mean:

• Hibs v ICT (Friday)
  • Hearts v Rangers (Saturday lunch))
  • Motherwell / Saint Mirren v Aberdeen / Kilmarnock (Saturday evening / Sunday afternoon)
  • Saint Johnstone v Celtic (Sunday lunch)

• Agree 2