More TV Games

Robert

I see our home game against Dundee United will be a 1905 kick off on Friday 10 April whilst our away game against Partick Thistle will be a 1920 kick off on Saturday 18 April. Both on BBC Scotland. 

We’ve not hard our share of live league games this season but 1920 on a Saturday??

21 minutes ago, Robert said:

I see our home game against Dundee United will be a 1905 kick off on Friday 10 April whilst our away game against Partick Thistle will be a 1920 kick off on Saturday 18 April. Both on BBC Scotland. 

We’ve not hard our share of live league games this season but 1920 on a Saturday??

The home one will be fine but our away support will not get home from Partick till the early hours on Sunday morning and worse than that the team will be too late for getting into Johnny Foxes!

Edited by IBM
spelling

15 hours ago, old caley girl said:

Id say Saturday night better than Friday night for most? Especially for away games? We were at Partick on a Friday with a 0705 ko last season which is impossible for those working a Friday afternoon. 

It was particularly impossible for those of us who had booked flights and an overnight stay expecting the game to be played on a Saturday, before it was re-scheduled for TV

• Agree 2

I don't buy into the idea that football should be 3pm on a Saturday "because that's when it's always been played".  However, I do think the inconsistency, and often short notice of changes, generates a lot of frustration and hassle for fans.

That's part of the reason I think shifting the entire calendar to a Friday night with 8.00pm or later kick-off time would help as it immediately removes the current need to shift them outwith the TV black-out period....it may even encourage more beneficial/profitable deals to be down with broadcasters.

I get that it may not suit some of those who currently attend games on a Saturday, but when you start looking at the attendance figures for Friday night games home crowds are generally as good as a Saturday.  I'd rather see a policy that promotes a larger home crowd, even if it does mean we have a few less traveling fans.  It's those home fans who will buy the merchandise, spend in the bar and do all the other things which help improve a club.

We bang on about how we have to compete with other activities at weekends as if we somehow expect those businesses to stop trying to compete with us....and that's never going to happen....so move to a time where there's less competition and more consistency with fixture days/times.

• Agree 4

15 hours ago, CaleyD said:

That's part of the reason I think shifting the entire calendar to a Friday night with 8.00pm or later kick-off time would help as it immediately removes the current need to shift them outwith the TV black-out period....it may even encourage more beneficial/profitable deals to be down with broadcasters.

Do you not think if they did this that those (allegedly) in charge would move the black out period to 8pm on Friday's?

I wonder what the TV viewing figures are for Scottish Championship football on a Friday night. 

The thing that frustrates the minority here is the short notice given to fans about the amended dates and times.  I get it that they want to choose the so-called attractive games and that can't happen at the start of the season as nobody knows how the season will pan out, but it's still a pain in the erse.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

Why does there need to be a 3pm blackout on a Saturday?

Thats down to either UEFA or FIFA (dont recall which). Clubs can do nothing about that. 

Just now, Scotty said:

Thats down to either UEFA or FIFA (dont recall which). Clubs can do nothing about that. 

Weirdly, it is possible to opt out, or choose to not enforce the blackout. (There was an article in the Guardian a while ago about this, I’ll try and find a link if I can). The SFA choose to enforce it. 

Just now, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

Weirdly, it is possible to opt out, or choose to not enforce the blackout. (There was an article in the Guardian a while ago about this, I’ll try and find a link if I can). The SFA choose to enforce it. 

Pity they don’t enforce the competency of their refs. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

Its UEFA ... which would explain why virtually all of the EPL has been on Canadian TV on a Saturday morning .... although this year more of the games seem to be on a subscription channel. 

The associations themselves define the hours and dates - which is why for example a 3pm Scotland game can be shown, or the Cup Final etc. 

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=19817.html

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

Link here https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/17/eleven-sports-stop-european-football-on-saturdays?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Scotland, England and Montenegro are the only places that still enforce it.