Media Coverage

ff
AUDIO COVERAGE
LIVE TEXT (ONLINE)
VIDEO
TEAM LINEUPS
image.png

Tweets by @ICTFC

Unlucky lads.  We were well worth a draw, or even a win there.  What a great game in atrocious conditions, and a good advert for Scottish football.  I had a couple of calls at half time, from friends down here who were also watching it, and they were impressed.  Normally my English friends here are pretty damning about the quality of Scottish football.

Despite the defeat which might see us lose 2nd spot when Ayr next play, I am really encouraged with what I saw tonight.  Once we settled down we had the measure of Utd for large portions of the game.  If we can continue to play with that intensity, and skill, we should have no problem regaining, and holding on to 2nd.

• Agree 7

I was at the game and, courtesy of a pal who had a hospitality table, was sitting with United fans. 

I was worried after seeing our 4-1 and 3-0 defeats to them when we lost an early goal, but from then on we matched them and were worthy of at least a draw. The United fans I was with felt we had been the best visitors to Tannadice this season and knew they did not deserve to win. 

As mentioned above, if we can maintain the performance and commitment shown tonight, we should secure the vital second place.

Of the team, Ridgers had little to do. Rooney and Tremarco both got forward and Tremarco was very close with a late effort. Mckay and McHattie coped well with the lively attack. 

Carson was committed and it was unfortunate his petulance got him booked early on and, after a dodgy challenge we were right to sub him. Vincent had one of his best games since coming back to us. 

Walsh was lively and seems to be getting back to his best. As someone has said, Storey underperformed and did not really attack the defence when he had the chance to do so. 

Keatings had a decent game and White took his goal well and could have had another. 

We matched a team with a much larger budget and were unlucky not to get at least a point, but it has given me optimism for the months ahead. 

We have a tough run ahead with midweek games on four consecutive Tuesdays, but performances like tonight will see us through it. 

Inverness CT manager John Robertson: "We need to mark Shankland in the box, it's as simple as that. That's why United will win the league - they're more clinical than us and everyone else.

"We're too nice. We react to things, we don't anticipate. It's difficult to criticise effort and honesty, but to be a top player, you need to have that extra quality, desire, and that bit more know-how.

"We've got masses still to play for. We should, in my eyes, pretty clear in second place. This is the frustration - we've dropped too many silly points and haven't been clinical and ruthless enough."

Sums up the story of the last few seasons imho. Well said JR 👏

Those are reasonable comments by Robbo. 

Watching on TV, I thought both Utd goals were avoidable, for the first in particular the Utd player had way too much space and time. 

I agree that we seemed to react to things rather than anticipate, whereas Utd reacted quickly at throw ins in particular. 

Thought White’s goal was well taken, but if he’d squared to Keatings (I think) when Connolly got kicked in the head, that would have been a better option. 

Carson’s booking was silly, and meant he had to keep his aggression in check after that. 

All in all, it wasn’t a bad performance - Shankland was the big difference. If we play like that, then we are more than capable of finishing second 

Edited by HawkeyeTheGnu

I watched the game and thought we played really well.

Dundee united were under the cosh for long spells in the second half but Shankland is a level above this league and that showed. 

Our midfield was excellent even without welsh and there is real competition for positions. 

But I have to call out Brad Mackay and Kevin Mchattie. We sold our two best centre backs in December but during that game they performed better against united than our two departed stars have in over a year. 

Have we traded (or trained) up as we did not miss Mcart or Coll yesterday. 

Superb from both of them and real hope for rest of the season with Toshneys team of the week performance in the cup. 

Great management by Robbo to create and coach that depth of resources on his budget. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

More disappointed than anything with last night's result. We played well and certainly deserved the draw. What annoys me is we just can't get a result against this lot. They have lost to Alloa and Arbroath this season but we just can't seem to get over the line against them. We will be doing well finishing second at the rate we are going. Entirely our own doing too, our inconsistency this season has been nothing short of astonishing 

Hate to say it, but I think heading needs to be worked on, after seeing that game. Yes, Jordan did score a header from a corner to equalise, but look at the corners afterwards that we won the header from, right at the death especially, Rooney had the perfect chance to level it, seemingly easy as pie, but he put it over the bar.

United have 5 more wins until they're crowned champions, and this was our last chance to reel them back in. Unless by some miracle that United bottle the last of the season and we sail through it with no faults, the title is gone, despite having two games in hand.

17 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Hate to say it, but I think heading needs to be worked on, after seeing that game. Yes, Jordan did score a header from a corner to equalise, but look at the corners afterwards that we won the header from, right at the death especially, Rooney had the perfect chance to level it, seemingly easy as pie, but he put it over the bar.

United have 5 more wins until they're crowned champions, and this was our last chance to reel them back in. Unless by some miracle that United bottle the last of the season and we sail through it with no faults, the title is gone, despite having two games in hand.

The title was gone a long time ago. The difference has been they are consistent.  We have dropped way too many valuable points this season and yesterday was more about pride than anything 

Was pleasantly surprised by a very even and entertaining game last night, in atrocious conditions.  Two well-matched teams on the night, though difficult to predict how either would get on against a good SPL team.

On the night the difference was Shankland, which highlights the glaring deficiency in Caley Thistle ever since Billy McKay left over 5 years ago.  We just don't have a predatory striker, and you just can't see where the goals are going to come from.

Finding one - preferably two - has to be a priority.

1 hour ago, Belfast Brigade said:

The title was gone a long time ago. The difference has been they are consistent.  We have dropped way too many valuable points this season and yesterday was more about pride than anything 

...and when they have dropped points so have we - they have played without pressure all season and with a lethal finisher up front.

Last night was entertaining but highlighted the gulf, between an average team with Shankland,  and the rest.

Unless we can raise our game ( like we did against the tinks last year) in every game from now we might slip onto 3rd, 4th or lower.

• Agree 2

I was in hospitality (first time I’ve ever experienced that for an ICT game). Even from the very back of the upper George Fox stand, you could hear the splashes when players were running up the wing.

You should’ve seen the reaction of the guy next to me, a neutral, when Tremarco hit the side netting in the last minute - 2-2 would’ve won him over £800. Ouch.

• Like 1

The difference between the teams is they have a goalscorer we have traffic cones up top and our best striker on the wing! Shankland knocked us back for Ayr when Foran was there could've been so different with him up top ! Robbo dose t no a striker from a red pudding supper by the looks of it

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Thought we were going to get pumped but disappointed we never got a point. White was superb in the first half. Shame he can't out that kind of performance in every week. Didn't think much of United but, as the old cliche goes, the sign of champions is even when they are playing below average they still dig out the win and that's what they did. Disappointed with our defending for both goals but they were good finishes from a United PoV.

Good header from White to get us back on level terms and prior to the second United goal we seemed to be knocking the ball around really well despite the conditions and seemed to have reduced the number of long balls we were playing. Thought Tremarco had stolen a point right at the end when he met a cross at the back post but the side netting rippled rather than the back of the net.

Despite the loss that's probably one of our better performances in recent weeks.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic