Coronavirus

Yngwie

So how is this going to play out from a footballing/ICT perspective? It seems increasingly likely that there will soon be measures taken to delay the spread of the virus as has been happening in Italy which is a week or two ahead of us. The purpose of any government measures will rightly be to save lives, not save football.

Its questionable whether matches in our league could be classed as large public gatherings, but if they are, games might be played behind closed doors. For clubs like us in a weak financial position, the loss of gate receipts and associated income like hospitality and sponsorships would be hard to absorb, and could there be an obligation to partly refund season ticket holders? 

Then there’s the prospect of a player or team coming down with it, or severe movement restrictions, resulting in fixtures being postponed for weeks or even months. What happens if the season isn’t completed by the end of May when many players’ contracts end? I can’t think of any fair way to resolve that.

I know nobody has the answers at this stage, just putting it out there that there might be consequences.

How would a “work from home “ directive be applied - matches played on PES/FIFA?!

• Funny 1

Realistically, I don't think anything is going to happen regarding the season, it's going to be played out no matter what, behind closed doors or not. If it is behind closed doors or cut off mid season, a partial ST refund (I.e. the games remaining that we were unable to attend) would be nice, but I don't think it'll come to anything. The season will be played out in front of a crowd, and possibly, the following season will be delayed or postponed until the virus gets cleared up...

42 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Think by the way we play most of our players have had corona virus half the season defo think White and Traff should be tested pronto

you must really like these guys

• Agree 1

It's a fast developing situation and it seems inevitable that there will be some level of restriction on social gatherings and sporting events.  If that happens then it is bound to have a financial impact on the club along with a wide range of businesses.  Any measures taken will be designed to limit the spread of the disease and to protect the most vulnerable in society.  All we can do is follow the advice given and then come together as a community afterwards to support individuals and businesses who have been most impacted by this.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Think by the way we play most of our players have had corona virus half the season defo think White and Traff should be tested 

It's clear that you have issues with a number of players but that is a thoroughly inappropriate post on a topic that, quite apart from the effect it may have on our struggling club and many other struggling businesses and individuals, is very likely to claim the lives of a number of Scots including, in all probability, some ICT fans.

I entirely agree with DD. Take the advice given by the authorities seriously and follow it as well as looking out for our more vulnerable members of society.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Facepalm 1

Unfortunately the advice from the authorities is misguided in that it is already too late for the containment phase.

After another busy sporting weekend, and airports taking flights from Italy I'd say the horse has left the barn sometime ago.

Only after strict anti movement measures has the situation calmed in China's provinces. Italy will see similar results before long too.

The government will react again when the situation worsens here, with similar measures being introduced soon.

Its ironic that with all the hoo-ha of brexit over recent years we've actually not made the most of our island status.

Typical.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

It's clear that you have issues with a number of players but that is a thoroughly inappropriate post on a topic that, quite apart from the effect it may have on our struggling club and many other struggling businesses and individuals, is very likely to claim the lives of a number of Scots including, in all probability, some ICT fans.

I entirely agree with DD. Take the advice given by the authorities seriously and follow it as well as looking out for our more vulnerable members of society.

Wow my man you have a sense of humour bypass its a fans banter page people with none should come of it ! Unreal not only are u an authority on everything ict now your a corona virus expert lol! The virus be like swine flu blow over the warm weather kills it anyway so be over soon enough bit of a daft thread to start of anyway 

• Funny 1

Given our levels of attendance and lack of atmosphere (other than the Wethers wrappers) its probably going to feel like nothings changed if 'closed doors' was envoked. I'd be worried whether our finances will stretch to hand sanitiser and bog roll given the inflated values such that we would be able to meet guidelines to open the doors to fans!!! Who'd have thought a few months ago the Coll compensation might only equate to a 24 pack of quilted bog roll and a few bottles or Carex!!!

22 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Get a life, black humour is part of our psyche always has been, I speak as one of those vulnerable members of society. The best thing you can do for me is stay away, self isolate which as Satan has pointed out is something the authorities have failed spectacularly to enforce .

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Robert said:

Good to see the posters in the toilets about washing hands for 20 seconds. Now we just need the taps to run for more than 1 second. 

Or at least reasonably heated water. Like shoving your hand in a bucket of near frozen water, then icicles start forming if you haven't dried them off properly...

First major English game affected, we know the Scottish authorities are just sheep so just copy everything from the EPL - I expect it wont be long before all Scottish games will be off or behind closed doors. Probably wouldn't book any travel in advance for the rest of the month unless its refundable folks.

Edited by bdu98196

1 hour ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Public gatherings Of upto 500 in Scotland to be banned as of next week? Our games should be ok though .

Effectively banned as you say. Probably a sensible precaution.

If the SPFL insist on games going on behind closed doors rather than postponing then perhaps the club could set up a system for those of us without season tickets and who can afford to do so, to pay the usual admission price. I know that, in the circumstances, I would be happy to pay that.

We could also mitigate the loss by still selling hospitality which would keep us well below the 500 assuming the income outweighed the cost.

9 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

perhaps the club could set up a system for those of us without season tickets

Surely if they are going down that route then they run a ST holder ballot and offer the sub 500 seats? Football is nothing without fans and treating the ST holders with that kind of disregard may have a longer term negative impact.

• Agree 3

25 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Surely if they are going down that route then they run a ST holder ballot and offer the sub 500 seats? Football is nothing without fans and treating the ST holders with that kind of disregard may have a longer term negative impact.

Whilst that would be an idea it would do nothing to mitigate loss of income which could tip the balance for our financially fragile club.

These are going to be an extraordinary few weeks in prospect and, although your circle of friends and acquaintances may have different views to mine, I have spoken to a number of season ticket holders and none would be looking for a refund or compensation or expect it.

I appreciate that they would be making a financial sacrifice and something could and should when times return to something more normal.

In the meantime, if this comes to pass, the club, like many others, may need every penny just to get through.

I do, however, appreciate your different view and am pleased that you have expressed it in a non abusive or confrontational manner.