Chelsea looking to buy Scottish club

ictchris

Reports are that Chelsea are interested in buying a Scottish club to help them circumvent player loan rules.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8087409/Chelsea-looking-buy-Scottish-club-youth-player-rules.html

The story is probably rubbish but it'd be interesting to see what would happen if it did come to pass.  Would this be allowed?  Would Roman Abramovich pass the fit and proper person test for Scottish football?  How would fans react to becoming effectively a 'farm team'?    What would happen if the Chelsea team won a trophy?

What would people think about us being bought over by a club like Chelsea?  It would eliminate the worry about going bust or part-time but at hte same time would take something away from the clubs identity.  You'd also expect the parent club to exercise a bit of control over the club, meaning that it wouldn't be about primarily winning games and trophies.

Edited by ictchris

I mean, it'd be an interesting one. Hopefully they'll take it in the right mind and retain our history, and don't turn us into a club similar to the Red Bull ones.

I also wonder if it'll help try to get us back into Europe.

But realistically, I think it'll be an attempt to do a Gretna by taking a titchy club from League Two all the way to the prem...   

16 hours ago, ictchris said:

Would Roman Abramovich pass the fit and proper person test for Scottish football?

When you consider some of the charlatans involved in Scottish clubs over the last 20 years, he would be a beacon of honesty and clean money!!!

• Funny 1

I imagine the story is rubbish but its fun to speculate...

If they were looking to buy a Scottish club, they would I presume want a Premiership one if possible so the players were playing at as high a level as possible. But I'm not sure many of them would be candidates for this - Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs would surely be too big to want to become feeder clubs, while Motherwell and St Mirren are fan-owned/on the way to being fan-owned and Uncle Roy surely wouldn't sell Ross County. That leaves Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Livingston and St. Johnstone.

Aside from being in the Championship, we are probably as good an option as any of those four, and our financial issues surely mean that our board would be more open to selling the club. And we play in (mostly) blue, which would fit with Chelsea.

I'd be open to this to be honest. It's not like it's easy to attract players here anyway - they may as well be Chelsea youngsters as central belt journeymen. And surely it can't be any worse than our increasingly likely fate of being stuck outside the top flight indefinitely.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CaleyCanary said:

Not something I would like.

It's hard enough for local youth players to get a chance as it is without them being shoved aside to make way for some rich club from the south out to improve their own stable.

Think of it the other way around. 

A link to a club like chelsea might allow some of our players to learn grow or maybe even experience some of that setup.

• Agree 1

On 3/10/2020 at 5:45 PM, CaleyCanary said:

Not something I would like.

It's hard enough for local youth players to get a chance as it is without them being shoved aside to make way for some rich club from the south out to improve their own stable.

No one's complaining about Billy Gilmour