Coronavirus - Season on hold

tm4tj

From the BBC, Cooper the Incontinent Dug again centre stage:

Leaked Whatsapps pour fuel on fire - Saturday
Would we get clarity? No chance.

First, photographs emerged of signed ballot papers showing Championship trio Partick Thistle, Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Dundee all voting 'no' - which would have been enough to defeat the motion. However, Dundee's was not registered by the SPFL, with the Dens Park club apparently reconsidering their stance.

Cue bedlam. Had they just changed their mind? Had someone 'got' to them? Did they sent it to the wrong place?

Enter Scot Gardiner, the Inverness chief executive. He joined BBC Scotland's Sportsound to try to clear up some of the confusion and instead doused the flames with fuel by disclosing the contents of a Whatsapp group containing the Championship clubs.

upload_2020-4-13_18-48-5.gif
Dundee's voting slip, signed by managing director John Nelms, though the SPFL say they only received it after being told to ignore any Dundee submission
Gardiner said Inverness, Thistle and Dundee had agreed to vote the same way and to share their ballot papers in the chat to confirm they had done so. Thistle's was posted just after 14:52. Dundee's followed at 16:24. Then Inverness' around 15 minutes later. At 16:52, Dundee secretary Eric Drysdale reiterated "DFC vote submitted".

Then the SPFL statement appeared, highlighting the discrepancy, followed by another message to the group from Dundee saying the vote had not been received but giving their "solemn word" that it had been sent. After a slew of panicked responses, Drysdale then disclosed that he'd been told by chief executive John Nelms "to hold off on resubmitting their vote" before the Dens Park club went silent.

No sooner had Gardiner relayed this - and excused himself from the broadcast so he could take his dog out to relieve itself - than Rangers issued a statement. And it was a big one.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

the clappers on here have never made a sensible judgement yet! 

Unlike yer good self Alan! I vote we end the “Post of the Season” competition now and award it for this belter. 😉

On 3/9/2020 at 7:30 PM, Alan Simpson said:

The virus be like swine flu blow over the warm weather kills it anyway so be over soon enough bit of a daft thread to start of anyway 

Very hard hitting statement from our Chairman Ross Morrison tonight, basically confirming and endorsing everything Scot Gardiner said and tearing into the SPFL processes and procedures. Have a feeling tomorrow could be interesting!

Our board are fairly getting the mug shots on the back pages now eh milking there 5 mins of fame so would I btw not knocking them no such thing as bad publicity! Waiting for statement from the Cone saying he was the form striker who'd have got us thro the play offs! Speaking of the Cone how's Gregor no heard a cheap from him

Dundee are now voting yes what a fckin farce only thing it achieved was getting all these nonentities a bit of publicity and making us PTFC and co look shady as fcuk like teenage girls chatting on what's app groups! Brightside wev got a few bob in the bank! What were Dundee thinking they're somehow important in the grand scheme of football a club who've won nothing in decades and play in front of an empty crumbling ground a team who can't score in a brothel! 

17 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Dundee are now voting yes what a fckin farce only thing it achieved was getting all these nonentities a bit of publicity and making us PTFC and co look shady as fcuk like teenage girls chatting on what's app groups! Brightside wev got a few bob in the bank! What were Dundee thinking they're somehow important in the grand scheme of football a club who've won nothing in decades and play in front of an empty crumbling ground a team who can't score in a brothel! 

We don't know that they are definitely voting no 🤔

That just came from The Daily Record! 

This has the potential of a win win for us. We get second place and the prize money for it. I believe Dundee negotiation with spfl was all about reconstruction and there is now a working team on it with powerful characters (Budge and Grey). Expect to see it heavily pushed. Obviously the 11-1 vote is the sticking point but maybe for one season teams will consider it. We could still be promoted despite the season ending today. Presume we are joint winners of the caremel cup aswell!

There was, without doubt, an element of self interest in our vote but at least we were honest and transparent about what we intended to do and did just that unlike Dundee who were entirely underhand and self interested.

On that basis, I am expecting that if there is to be reconstruction the top division will be extended to at least sixteen clubs rather than fourteen. Dundee did not act as they did to ensure that only their  neighbours and ourselves benefited from any reconsideration.

Personally, I see merit in an eighteen team top division on a national basis with north and south regional divisions below that each also of eighteen teams comprising the current lowest Championship clubs, the clubs in leagues one and two and the leading clubs from the Highland and Lowland Leagues.

I would then have  top teams promoted from each of the regional divisions with the bottom two teams in the top division being automatically relegated and the top three teams in each regional division playing off against one of the teams finishing fifteenth and sixteenth in the top league with the winners of each of the north and south play offs either being promoted to or remaining in the top tier.

Lots of refreshing of the teams to prevent the staleness we endure now and much for a good number of the teams to play for for most of the season.

I would retain the Challenge Cup for the teams out with the top tier but regionalised until the semi final stage.

The whole thing stinks of corruption!  The ones running Scottish football always have their own agenda and couldn't care less what the fans want.  I just hope all the clubs survive through this to start again for the next season.

I hope I have to eat my words but simply cannot see reconstruction happening. Firstly, 11 out of 12 premiership clubs have to vote in favour and secondly the current premiership clubs need to give up sponsorship money to accommodate a bigger league. What Dundee hope to gain by changing their vote is simply beyond me.

7 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

I hope I have to eat my words but simply cannot see reconstruction happening. Firstly, 11 out of 12 premiership clubs have to vote in favour and secondly the current premiership clubs need to give up sponsorship money to accommodate a bigger league. What Dundee hope to gain by changing their vote is simply beyond me.

Possibly something along the lines of Kingsmill's suggestion...

33 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

There was, without doubt, an element of self interest in our vote but at least we were honest and transparent about what we intended to do and did just that unlike Dundee who were entirely underhand and self interested.

On that basis, I am expecting that if there is to be reconstruction the top division will be extended to at least sixteen clubs rather than fourteen. Dundee did not act as they did to ensure that only their  neighbours and ourselves benefited from any reconsideration.

...I can't see why Dundee acted in the way they did without some sort of under the table deal being agree that would see them benefit from changing their original vote.

Whatever eventually transpires, I do like Kingsmill's restructuring vision.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a 16 team SPL next year. With Anne Budge on a reconstruction task force it looks like Hearts have told Dundee, you keep us up and we'll get you up, or maybe I'm just being a cynic. 

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Not that I care a jot, but Iam sure there are some who would like to see some of the bigger/traditional clubs, such as the two Dundees, back in the top league?

After relegating 3 teams and shafting a dozen more from promotion, I doubt anyone wants to see Dundee back in the top flight right now... 

The fact that Ann Budge is anywhere near this committee is, no matter which club you support, just plain wrong.

Scottish football continues digging the hole.............................

Really hope they get their arses sued................................don't care who by.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • tm4tj pinned this topic