League restructure

Jack Waddington

1 hour ago, CaleyCanary said:

Yep spot on Kirkie. 

RiG also had an excellent point...

For decades now the two of them have been clearing any decent talent out of the other clubs only to have them warm their backsides in the stands each week or even on the bench if they were lucky. It diminished the quality of opposition and that, as much as anything else, has seen the gradual decline in standards in our leagues and the national side.

What worries me is that in these difficult times there might be too many lower league clubs willing to vote yes for this plan as they are so desperate to get a few bob into their coffers.

Absolutely agree. The Scottish game has long needed radical change but the panic induced by the current crisis is not the environment in which to discuss impliment any change which could affect the game for years, if not decades to come.

We need to have a commission, with a majority of sporting, media and commercial experts from outside the usual Scottish football bubble with a view to looking at things more thoroughly and more objectively to report by this time next year.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Absolutely agree. The Scottish game has long needed radical change but the panic induced by the current crisis is not the environment in which to discuss impliment any change which could affect the game for years, if not decades to come.

We need to have a commission, with a majority of sporting, media and commercial experts from outside the usual Scottish football bubble with a view to looking at things more thoroughly and more objectively to report by this time next year.

That's the problem with footie admin Kingsmills too much talk and not enough action.

12 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

And Championship clubs to vote on proposal to start in October with a 27 game season, basically meaning 25% less income.

It’s a meaningless vote as the politicians will determine what can happen when. 

Even if it happens. it may not go as planned if we get local lockdowns or, worse, another peak. 

On reconstruction, we are at risk of going round in circles again. 14 10 10 10 is the fair and equitable outcome, so maybe common sense will prevail this time. The fact that we will benefit is an unintended consequence of teams doing the right thing. 

• Agree 1

I will be happy if we get football back when it is safe for the players and fans regardless of which league we are in and hope our club survives.  The people that are calling the shots are looking at their own self interest not what is best for all of us, it's all down to money and greed!

• Agree 3

16 hours ago, Robert said:

It’s a meaningless vote as the politicians will determine what can happen when. 

Even if it happens. it may not go as planned if we get local lockdowns or, worse, another peak. 

On reconstruction, we are at risk of going round in circles again. 14 10 10 10 is the fair and equitable outcome, so maybe common sense will prevail this time. The fact that we will benefit is an unintended consequence of teams doing the right thing. 

Much as I would like to see Caley back in the top tier, I fear it would be a one season wonder, given our extremely limited resources, and a squad that is somewhat piecemeal, and arguably shorn of some of it's better players since the start of the season. We'd certainly need a more prolific striker, and I would argue a top class central defender. And we can't even say the income will be much improved if we can't get people through the turnstyles. I'm always an optimist (I'm a Palace fan for heavens' sake I have to be) but we are likely to be weaker in strength than our last relegation season, and a season getting stuffed could leave us worse off than restarting in the Championship (and all to keep Hearts happy).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

Much as I would like to see Caley back in the top tier, I fear it would be a one season wonder, given our extremely limited resources, and a squad that is somewhat piecemeal, and arguably shorn of some of it's better players since the start of the season. We'd certainly need a more prolific striker, and I would argue a top class central defender. And we can't even say the income will be much improved if we can't get people through the turnstyles. I'm always an optimist (I'm a Palace fan for heavens' sake I have to be) but we are likely to be weaker in strength than our last relegation season, and a season getting stuffed could leave us worse off than restarting in the Championship (and all to keep Hearts happy).

Have to disagree. Even one season in top league would bring far more financial benefits than staying in championship. 

• Agree 5

19 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Have to disagree. Even one season in top league would bring far more financial benefits than staying in championship. 

Yes OK... I forgot about the new Sky TV deal

I'm already more optimistic!

1 hour ago, Eagle4Caley said:

Much as I would like to see Caley back in the top tier, I fear it would be a one season wonder.

It'll definitely be a breath of fresh air for us. More income because of Two Champions League and Two Europa Conference spots, packed out home games against Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and C*unty. But I also think it won't be a straight up and back down season, because we're much better than the Accies, and this season, we've shown we can compete (and beat) mid table premiership sides. We can show we can fight, and hopefully, if we play our cards right, I think we can compete for mid table, or even Europa Conference within 5 or so years (assuming our coefficient stays as high as it is).

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Eagle4Caley said:

I too disagree. If we were in the Premiership we would have a fighting chance of edging out the likes of Hamilton, St Mirren and County at the bottom especially if we were able to use the million pounds extra from being in the top tier to recruit well over the Summer which would not be as difficult as normal given the extraordinary number of players who will be out of contract.

Playing in the Championship without fans will be hugely challenging from a financial point of view. Being in the Premiership would at least give us a fighting chance and would give fans an opportunity to participate by buying a virtual season ticket to view online which may only be financially viable for top tier clubs.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

The teams in the bottom six are much of a muchness. I think Dundee United will show them up and I’m not forgetting they were well ahead of us.

Not sure about that Mantis Hearts gubbed us last few times we played them and they were bottom of the current set up. Hibs beat us comfortably too and am not convinced we would beat Hamilton. We must find a regular goal scorer which is the main difference between survival and the drop.

21 hours ago, Robert said:

14 10 10 10 is the fair and equitable outcome, so maybe common sense will prevail this time.

This is it in a nutshell for me. Doesn't disadvantage anybody and gives Brora and Kelty the opportunity they deserve.

I'd have no fear about our ability to compete and stay in the top tier, I'd be more concerned about our future remaining in the Championship. Without the extra income we'd likely find the Championship a tougher gig.

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, CaleyCanary said:

This is it in a nutshell for me. Doesn't disadvantage anybody and gives Brora and Kelty the opportunity they deserve.

I'd have no fear about our ability to compete and stay in the top tier, I'd be more concerned about our future remaining in the Championship. Without the extra income we'd likely find the Championship a tougher gig.

That is objectively impossible to argue with. Sadly, I bet that some chairmen  Graham Tatters  included will conjure up some spurious reason or vote against for no reason at all.

If we end up in the Premiership I think we would do well to avoid coming last.  Having said that, the additional money would allow us to sign players we would not otherwise be able to.  With the impact the virus is having on all clubs I think there will be a lot of decent players who will have some difficulty finding a club playing at the level they aspire to and we might find a bargain or two.  We will be stronger in the Premiership than in the Championship.  My guess would be that we might well survive in the Premiership, but if we are in the Championship we will not be good enough to win promotion.  Also, Premiership money would mean that even if we did get relegated from the Premiership, we would be better placed to go straight back up the next season.  Ronaldo is spot on.  If we do get the opportunity we need to embrace it fully.

I think that if we do go up to the Premiership then there is no better season to be unready than next season ..... no-one is ready ! There will be a bigger pool of players available on free transfers than normal, many with a point to prove and our operation on the playing side will already be pared to the bone in terms of wages meaning we may have more wiggle room than some. 

I would be doing some lateral thinking about now, perhaps seeking out and forging new relationships with other clubs to see who we could get in on loan for the Premiership season if it happens and we are in it. Between who we have, who might be available on a free, and potentially a few quality loanees we could certainly look to finish in a decent spot next season. I wouldnt be planning any European travel for late 2021 just yet but a comfortable 7-12 finish if its 14 and we build from there .... just like we did before.   

• Agree 2

They can do what they like. If this doesn't go through Hearts will go legal and with the precedent from Europe they will either likley hold up the season or  run in the financial compensation that will come out of the tv money. Lets see Uncle Roy squirm as his wallet gets hit when he could avoid it all by pretty much agreeing to the least radical change of everything that has been proposed.

• Agree 1

If it just comes to a straight vote. Teams will vote it down. Out of self interest and perhaps some personal grudges.

This will go one of 2 ways. Doncaster forces it through with the impending threat of legal action. Or Doncaster is playing along with appeasing Hearts until it's too late to do anything but it seemed like they tried etc

Hearts hold all the cards, only they know if there are serious about the legal action. If they go for it, it will be costly and no guarantee of success. If they are bluffing about legal action it could well work or could be exposed as the bluff if the clubs call them out on it.

1 hour ago, Stirling Observer said:

If it just comes to a straight vote. Teams will vote it down. Out of self interest and perhaps some personal grudges.

This will go one of 2 ways. Doncaster forces it through with the impending threat of legal action. Or Doncaster is playing along with appeasing Hearts until it's too late to do anything but it seemed like they tried etc

Hearts hold all the cards, only they know if there are serious about the legal action. If they go for it, it will be costly and no guarantee of success. If they are bluffing about legal action it could well work or could be exposed as the bluff if the clubs call them out on it.

For what it's worth, I doubt if Hearts would end up taking legal action and, even if they did, I doubt if they would succeed.If Hearts were convinced that they had a case they would almost certainly have initiated action by now with a view to putting a great deal of extra pressure on the clubs to agree to reconstruction.

The real question is not whether the threat is a real one but whether the SPFL a sufficient number of member clubs perceive it to be real.

Edited by Kingsmills

20 hours ago, CaleyCanary said:

I know that Brora are up for it, but have any of the League Two clubs made noises about possibly having to travel so far north?  The old thing about long treks north in winter.  Annan to Brora is 300 miles.

4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Annan to Brora is 300 miles.

:lol: That's my shortest away game over here ... Toronto to Montreal is 336 miles using the shortest route.  Have made the trek to Palmerston and back the same day a few times from Inverness and that was brutal in a minibus so Annan to Brora would be even worse. Not so bad if they make a weekend of it though.