League restructure

Jack Waddington

4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I know that Brora are up for it, but have any of the League Two clubs made noises about possibly having to travel so far north?  The old thing about long treks north in winter.  Annan to Brora is 300 miles.

I mean Elgin more or less have the same issue, minus a dozen or so miles.

But surely quite common journey lengths in leagues in larger countries. Plymouth to Carlisle in English League 2 springs to mind. 389 miles according to google. 

Edited by Robert

5 minutes ago, Robert said:

But surely quite common journey lengths in leagues in larger countries. Plymouth to Carlisle in English League 2 springs to mind. 389 miles according to google. 

But the ratio of decent motorway to ordinary A roads will be significantly higher then Annan to Brora, and have you done the A9 north of Tore recently, I have been on B roads down south that are better, especially north of Tain.

• Agree 1

I spent 8 years down south sitting in queues on the M5 and M6. We lived in Lancashire but my job took me well south. It could take 8 hours on a Friday to travel 200 miles on motorways. 

10 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

I mean Elgin more or less have the same issue, minus a dozen or so miles.

Yup, I thought about that, too.  Thinking specifically of Annan, Elgin and Peterhead were in the league before Annan joined, so Annan just had to put up with it.  But now the boot is on the other foot....

11 hours ago, Robert said:

These are full time clubs though. The last time Carlisle played at home on a Saturday their attendance was 4600 and their best gate for the season was 6000.

I totally agree with Doofers Dad, this is a great chance to end this boring league system and really change the Scottish game for the good. As the Partick Thistle spokesperson said this is not the time for certain clubs to be selfish  and think of themselves, as for Thistle, they are the ones hit with a double whammy, which is unfair. If it does go through we go premier which will lift everyone on this forum.

33 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

The mood on Sportsound was that there just isn’t enough support for the change to proceed. 

And the one against it the most is Richard Gordon who still thinks we have a league setup that works and everyone is happy with, he is deluded! 

6 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/board-update-13th-june-2020/

Brilliant statement from Partick Thistle.  Let's hope it shames others into doing the decent thing. I'm not holding my breath though.

I can’t argue with any of that. A heartfelt summation of their position and the need for clubs to collectively do the right thing. It should be 14 10 10 10 but will the clubs be big enough to vote for justice? Only time will tell, but I’m not optimistic. 

By the sounds of it the voting structure will strike again and make it fail. I think county are against as uncle Roy doesn’t believe that a global parade mix is extraordinary enough for a change. Probs be at least one more that will kill it but if it does get through then I’m afraid 6 need to pass in the championship and I doubt it will fly as most clubs will not be able to resist to stop doing something that will be good for us. Scottish football will never move forward until the voting system is sorted out that will allow things to change more regularly. The change proposed is not radical compared to other proposals and even financially the changes to prize pots makes minimal change to add kelty and Brora. But because clubs will lose at least one extra game against the old firm in this bottom 8 and clubs in mid table have no meaningful games it won’t pass. The meaningless games argument I find really poor as it could be a chance to blood youngsters and give them the exposure clubs can’t allow atm 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, standbydave said:

I totally agree with Doofers Dad, this is a great chance to end this boring league system and really change the Scottish game for the good. As the Partick Thistle spokesperson said this is not the time for certain clubs to be selfish  and think of themselves, as for Thistle, they are the ones hit with a double whammy, which is unfair. If it does go through we go premier which will lift everyone on this forum.

Yes  it is a decent statement on behalf of Partick but, like many others including our own, not without a substantial element of self interest.

That said, the 14 10 10 10 proposal benefits many and substantially Prejudices nobody so any club proposing to vote against  it really ought to be issuing a statement justifying that stance.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Yes  it is a decent statement on behalf of Partick but, like many others including our own, not without a substantial element of self interest.

That said, the 14 10 10 10 proposal benefits many and substantially Prejudices nobody so any club proposing to vote against  it really ought to be issuing a statement justifying that stance.

Totally agree Kingsmills. I cannot understand any stance taken against the 14-10-10-10 proposal as it is the only proposal I've seen that harms nobody and I've love to hear the justification of any club voting against it.

Sure, the PT statement has an element of self interest but I feel their situation warrants them speaking out, and it is a well written and compelling statement. To relegate a team 2 points behind, with a game in hand and only 75% of the season completed, is an absolute disgrace! If this comes about Scottish football should collectively hang its head in shame.

The stance from our point of view makes no sense. The stance from the bottom league teams is the fear of clubs like kelty and brora with financial backing steamrolling the league. The fear of premiership teams is meaningless games in the bottom 8. The fear is hearts recover and they are more likely to fall. Status quo suits them and regardless of particks statement, I predict many in the championship will vote out of spite against us despite the advantages that fall to it's members of an extended premiership. They would prefer to take the maroon dollar for a year, even though we will be behind closed door for some time

Basically shows that most clubs in Scottish Football are greedy, selfish bastarts and would rather further line their pockets than help others who's sides could be jeopardized by relegation. Reconstruction keeps it fair for everyone involved, and it's better than nothing at all...

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, dougiedanger said:

If only the club had not alienated itself from its colleagues in the Championship by hitching itself to the most despicable elements in Scottish football. If only we could have foreseen this outcome.  

Sadly, there is a great deal of truth in that too. At least from the perception of it by many.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

On 6/14/2020 at 5:16 AM, Kingsmills said:

Sadly, there is a great deal of truth in that too. At least from the perception of it by many.

So is it truth, or perception of it by many .

Being perceived doesn't make it true.

Edited by Satan

Hopefully all this can finally be put to rest now, no more of this 'reconstruction for the benefit of all ' nonsense.

It's not the authorities fault we are where we are, if we had a few more committed supporters week in week out we could have easily challenged harder in the last 3 years, with the extra resources.

I'm afraid we are going to have to find an alternative way to get the big sky money and old firm cash gates back.

Reconstruction is over. only 16 clubs voted in favour  which is much worse than i thought. It means plenty of league 1 & 2 clubs would have voted against a 10 team league for themselves and instead will now remain with.... a 10 team league.

Absolute madness. Lets hope Hearts go legal now. Will gladly watch some of these clubs suffer.

Edited by lightlamp2
  • Agree 2

No surprise. Hearts will shout very loudly but are very unlikely to go to court.

In many ways. I welcome the clarity and at least we can now plan for a season in the Championship probably curtailed to 27 games.

We are in a perilous financial situation but so is every other club in the division.

There is no reason why we can't compete and gain promotion on the pitch rather than through the boardroom or courtroom.

• Agree 2