All in This Together?

Kingsmills

The BBC has a duty to keep spirits up during these unsettling and worrying times but it also has an obligation to report the news in an honest and open way.

I live in Aberdeenshire not a million miles from the Balmoral Estate and there is outrage, bordering on apoplexy, amongst the local community and not just those of us who normally have disdain for the royal family but many who would describe themselves as monarchists, about recent events.

Charles Windsor flouted the clear advice issued by both the Scottish and United Kingdom governments for people who reside in urban areas who are fortunate enough to have second homes in more remote rural locations not to move to these homes but to stay in their principal residences to avoid putting additional strain on our already stretched and likely soon to be stretched to breaking point and beyond limited health care facilities.

Yet, despite this very clear instruction to the whole population, this individual chose to flee the sadly already badly infected capital of England and head here with his spouse and a large retinue of staff.

What a disgracefully poor example to set and, unlike most selfish and self interested people of his type, he is not only putting additional strain on our health resources but also our police who surely have better and more urgent things to do with their limited staffing just now than to deploy a significant number of officers to provide 24hour security on the Balmoral estate. That is not to mention that this individual displaying 'mild symptoms' was able to get a scarce test carried out  as yet, not available to our front line medical and nursing staff unless they themselves end up in an ICU.

Why then are the BBC still reporting on this with their usual sycophantic deference and concern for the health of this mildly ill man and his elderly mother ? We are all very concerned for our elderly parents but the vast majority of us are doing the right thing to keep the whole community safe and not selfishly just our own immediately family.

Can the BBC please point out how thoroughly selfish and irresponsible this behaviour is so that others who are in the privileged position of being able to do so don't follow suit.

• Agree 5

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52049039

I read this report just before coming on to this site.  I wouldn't say this represented "sycophantic deference" at all.  The correspondent describes the decision to test Prince Charles as "puzzling" and the report has a clear focus on those people who are critical of the decision.  It is, of course, perfectly appropriate to report on the fact that Prince Charles has tested positive as he is the heir to the throne.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

I read this report just before coming on to this site.  I wouldn't say this represented "sycophantic deference" at all.  The correspondent describes the decision to test Prince Charles as "puzzling" and the report has a clear focus on those people who are critical of the decision.  It is, of course, perfectly appropriate to report on the fact that Prince Charles has tested positive as he is the heir to the throne.

You have carefully selected the one BBC report showing a little balance and posing one question in the gentlest of terms.

Perhaps you were not at home, as I was, yesterday morning viewing the BBC news which was broadcasting an informative programme where relevant experts were answering urgent queries from very concerned viewers when the programme was interrupted, that vital source of information was halted and we had fully twenty minutes devoted to the news that a moderately elderly man was moderately ill and that his less moderately elderly mother was well.

Nicholas Witchell was interviewed and was indeed sickenly sycophantic and toadying. At no point during those twenty minutes or so did any of the three very senior journalists involved query why he was in Aberdeenshire contrary to the advice of both governments or why on earth precious testing kits had been used on him, his spouse and presumably his entire bloody enterage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Why is he more important than you or me?

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, Kingsmills said:

You have carefully selected the one BBC report showing a little balance and posing one question in the gentlest of terms.

Perhaps you were not at home, as I was, yesterday morning viewing the BBC news which was broadcasting an informative programme where relevant experts were answering urgent queries from very concerned viewers when the programme was interrupted, that vital source of information was halted and we had fully twenty minutes devoted to the news that a moderately elderly man was moderately ill and that his less moderately elderly mother was well.

Nicholas Witchell was interviewed and was indeed sickenly sycophantic and toadying. At no point during those twenty minutes or so did any of the three very senior journalists involved query why he was in Aberdeenshire contrary to the advice of both governments or why on earth precious testing kits had been used on him, his spouse and presumably his entire bloody enterage.

I certainly agree with you about Nicholas Witchell, and from what I have heard, the Royals themselves regard him as sickly sycophantic and toadying.  But I do feel a bit sorry for Charles.  All his adult life he's been waiting for a vacancy to arrive and then after 50 years of waiting, instead of getting a coronation he gets coronavirus.

• Funny 1

And now Boris has it along with his Health Secretary and possibly the Chief Medical Officer. 

This is serious, goodness knows whether we have acted too slowly, at the right time or too quickly, I would hate to have their jobs. 

Encouragingly, went to Tesco tonight for essentials (and beer) and everyone was being sensible and keeping a distance from everyone else. 

Hopefully the complacency of the last few weeks has gone and we can work together to get through this, royal, politician or football fan. 

Lets support each other on here too. 

Stay safe all!

• Agree 1

I was supposed to be in Inverness this weekend seeing family and also take in the Wafer Cup Final. All cancelled now of course. I'd cancelled my trip before this Charles business kick off [see what I did there]  and couldn't help thinking 'if it's ok for him (he's old) then it's ok for me (not as old...but old)'. But no, I like to think of myself as being responsible :ponder:so I'm staying away from the Highlands just now.

Finally down here folk have started to get a grip of the advice at last. It took them a while but I think they've got it. I went for my cycle ride around the park on Wednesday and folk were keeping the recommended gap between each other apart from a couple in a passionate embrace on a bench exchanging saliva!! Go figure that one out.

I hope you are all well in CTO land. Be good, heed the advice and above all stay safe. Keep away from Balmoral :wink:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Robert said:

And now Boris has it along with his Health Secretary and possibly the Chief Medical Officer. 

This is serious, goodness knows whether we have acted too slowly, at the right time or too quickly, I would hate to have their jobs. 

Encouragingly, went to Tesco tonight for essentials (and beer) and everyone was being sensible and keeping a distance from everyone else. 

Hopefully the complacency of the last few weeks has gone and we can work together to get through this, royal, politician or football fan. 

Lets support each other on here too. 

Stay safe all!

The vast majority in my small village are being very sensible and hugely considerate and mindful of one another and not a single elderly, or otherwise self isolating, person has been left without a couple of local contact numbers.

Very proud of the vast majority of ordinary people. Some less ordinary individuals please take note.

Stay safe folks until we all meet at the Longman once more. This will not be short term, it will not be easy but eventually normality will return.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

The vast majority in my small village are being very sensible and hugely considerate and mindful of one another and not a single elderly, or otherwise self isolating, person has been left without a couple of local contact numbers.

Very proud of the vast majority of ordinary people. Some less ordinary individuals please take note.

Stay safe folks until we all meet at the Longman once more. This will not be short term, it will not be easy but eventually normality will return.

That’s great to hear. The country at its best. 

Worrying times but we will come through it, hopefully better for it as a society, and our economy will recover in time. 

I feel for those losing jobs but credit the government (never thought I would say that about Westminster or Holyrood) for putting the furlough scheme in place so hopefully most people keep an income. 

My best man from my wedding 24 years ago is in isolation in Raigmore waiting for test results. He has underlying health issues. It really brought it home to me how close to home this is  

Football is secondary at this time, but I hope our squad is being looked after and our club survives this troubling time. I can’t imagine life without Caley Thistle and I’m sure we will survive. 

Personally I don’t care what the powers that be do with the season now. Life is more important. If it gets voided and we start again next year in the Championship with whatever squad we can afford, so be it. 

A few weeks ago, I had hoped to be drinking beer celebrating a cup win tonight and looking forward to that play offs. That seems a lifetime ago and very selfish and insignificant hopes and thoughts now. 

Take care all, don’t be complacent, follow the advice, and I hope to see you at the ground at some time in the future. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert said:

That’s great to hear. The country at its best. 

Worrying times but we will come through it, hopefully better for it as a society, and our economy will recover in time. 

I feel for those losing jobs but credit the government (never thought I would say that about Westminster or Holyrood) for putting the furlough scheme in place so hopefully most people keep an income. 

My best man from my wedding 24 years ago is in isolation in Raigmore waiting for test results. He has underlying health issues. It really brought it home to me how close to home this is  

Football is secondary at this time, but I hope our squad is being looked after and our club survives this troubling time. I can’t imagine life without Caley Thistle and I’m sure we will survive. 

Personally I don’t care what the powers that be do with the season now. Life is more important. If it gets voided and we start again next year in the Championship with whatever squad we can afford, so be it. 

A few weeks ago, I had hoped to be drinking beer celebrating a cup win tonight and looking forward to that play offs. That seems a lifetime ago and very selfish and insignificant hopes and thoughts now. 

Take care all, don’t be complacent, follow the advice, and I hope to see you at the ground at some time in the future. 

I entirely agree. Getting very close to home. A near neighbour, otherwise healthy as far as I know and only in his early fifties, fell ill on Wednesday and is now in hospital in a coma fighting for life.

There may be adverse effects of all of this for football in general and ICT in particular but another year in the Championship, part time football or even administration are as nothing just now. Some things, in fact right now, almost everything is more important than the fate of a football club.

Once again, stay safe everyone and look out for each other particularly the most vulnerable and be brave enough to call out the tiny minority who do not think the rules apply to them.

• Agree 3

I never really experienced anxiety until I walked down the corridor to the A&E Department to do an assessment. No trolleys queued up, no punters sitting in numbers on chairs, few staff in the main area but the corridor has warning signs and notices saying "Major Coronavirus - Do not enter" on ward doors closed down to accommodate. And then I remember that I am NOT "frontline" or in the "trenches". I am proud to be a supporting footsoldier. Make no mistake Covid-19 is a "killer". Stay safe out there people, stay at home and do NOT go to A&E unless you really need to. BUT utilize the large number of call lines available and do not bottle things up.

• Agree 1

We work in mental health
Wouldn't call ourselves 'front line'
Yet we can't work from home
And don't have a closing time

Corona got us anxious
Frightened and depressed
Everyone is scared
Everyone is stressed

I don't just mean the patient's
I'm referring to the staff
Sleep's a distant memory
We used to have a laugh

For our patients it's a struggle
And some won't understand
Despite running on empty
We'll emotionally lend a hand

Trying to alleviate
The anxiety of others
When no-one's taking ours away
And we want to see our mothers

We work in mental health
Unsure if we're 'front line'
But Corona doesn't only choose
Those that feel mentally fine

Mental health won't wait
Until this storm has passed
Care and treatment still required
And some people need it fast

We understand we're not
Priority for PPE
But this virus could get you
This virus could get me

We might be feeling broken
Whilst trying to care for you
We'll try to keep on smiling
But we miss our families too

And when the storm is over
The battle for us will start
Trying to pick up the pieces
And heal the broken hearts

We work in mental health
Would you call us a front line body?
We'll try to carry on
Whilst frustratingly rationing the voddie  😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

HRH has now given a rousing 'address to the nation' without a word of apology or explanation as to why he sought fit to ignore the rules applying ordinary people.

Arrogant sense of privilege and continuing to 'self isolate' from the population at large.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:31 PM, Kingsmills said:

I entirely agree. Getting very close to home. A near neighbour, otherwise healthy as far as I know and only in his early fifties, fell ill on Wednesday and is now in hospital in a coma fighting for life.

There may be adverse effects of all of this for football in general and ICT in particular but another year in the Championship, part time football or even administration are as nothing just now. Some things, in fact right now, almost everything is more important than the fate of a football club.

Once again, stay safe everyone and look out for each other particularly the most vulnerable and be brave enough to call out the tiny minority who do not think the rules apply to them.

I am relieved and delighted to say that my neighbour was today transferred from ICU into an ordinary ward and ought to be home within a couple of days.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

HRH has now given a rousing 'address to the nation' without a word of apology or explanation as to why he sought fit to ignore the rules applying ordinary people.

Arrogant sense of privilege and continuing to 'self isolate' from the population at large.

Och Kingsmills you didn't really think he would apologise :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

We seem to be getting through this time of emergency without various members of the royal family cuting ribbons, unveiling plaques, banqueting with dignitaries, meeting local worthies, dressing up in seventeenth century garb and braid covered uniforms and pinning medals on puffed out chests or dubbing with ornamental swords.

Once this is over, the United Kingdom will be faced with an enormous bill for the measures, quite rightly, taken to save lives and preserve jobs.

Surely an obvious and very easy start would be to cut out the hundreds of millions of pounds spent, either directly or indirectly, on this outdated and worthless institution.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

So you missed the opening of the Nightingale/ ExCeL hospital in London this morning?  :thumbdown:

I rather think that that fantastic effort could have been opened without the virtual involvement of a selfish individual being beamed in remotely from somewhere he has no business being in the first place.

Perhaps one of the many thousands who will be working there and risking their own life every single long shift could have been randomly selected.

This just reported by the Guardian:   "The Queen has recorded a special broadcast on the coronavirus outbreak to be broadcast on Sunday, Buckingham Palace said. "

Another one who hightailed it out of town, and only then started telling us to pull together.

Apparently Prince Andrew is the only one left in London :lol:

I have been highly critical of Charles Windsor flouting the rules as though they didn't apply to him.

It would be hypocritical of me not to level precisely the same criticism of our Chief Medical Officer Catherine Calderwood, possibly more so.

I had, until today, been hugely impressed by the part that she has played in this crisis. However, her 'human error' was so profound in the circumstances that an apology, no matter how sincere and how often repeated, will not do. Nicola Sturgeon has not put a foot wrong, unlike her counterpart south of the border, during this emergency until today but she has made an error in not dispensing with the services of Dr Calderwood.

There must be someone else in the country who has the ability to step into the role. The very public face telling us, quite properly, hour after hour to stay at home to save lives must command respect and credibility. Dr Calderwood no longer has either. Sadly, despite the excellent work she had done to date, she needs to go and go now.

• Agree 2