Fans community

CaleyTennis

I have been on Facebook and looked for a private ICT fans group but didn't find one so I'm putting out a proposition, that I start one and will be the main mod (I'm currently one on an Andy Murray group and am very fair/lenient) but will add more mods once they become a member and have requested to become one :ictscarf:

I am not wanting to create a group and then discover that there is no interest in the group so that's why I have stared the proposition here, at least that way I can guage if its something you guys would like to see :). 

I know I'm seen as a troublemaker that causes distress in relationships between myself and certain mods/members (not so much lately due to learning a hard lesson), mostly brought on myself due to lack of patience or not backing down when having certain opinions that have been posted. 

I admire your efforts and enthusiasm Caley Tennis and wish you well but I am with IBM and Gringo on this.

I am not on Facebook and have no interest in being so. This is my ICT online community and one that the recent crisis has prompted me to fully engage in again after a period of self imposed 'exclusion' . What unites us is far more important and valuable than any petty differences or grievances that may have preoccupied us in the past.

• Like 1

I'm a new member on here CT so thought I'd offer my 'newbie' perspective. I am on facebook & would certainly join the group but what I do observe is the interactive culture on FB has come across more confrontational in recent years rather than collaborative (in general) & trollers are increasingingly prevalent. I suppose the question is what would a FB group offer that CTO doesn't or can't already provide ? From what I see this is a positive forum. Anyway good luck if you go ahead.  

• Agree 2

There were a few quite active ICT Fan groups / accounts on Facebook but I haven't noticed them for a while (that was before the lockdown). You could always get in touch with them and see if you could participate / take over running of them if the group admin isn't interested in it anymore.

We have our own page : https://www.facebook.com/CaleyThistleOnline/ where all our articles and stories from here are promoted, and a few years ago we also toyed with the idea of a group instead of this site (went as far as creating a test group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2497130873636709/) ... but decided as a lot of our users were not on that platform and it did not give us the structure or the content that we have had for the last 26 years that we would just continue as is ....

Is there something specific that Facebook groups offer that we do not on CTO which you would like to see? I tend to find most FB groups (and forums for that matter) run for a few months/years until the admin(s) lose interest then it just stops and slowly decays .... This forum is lucky in that we have a critical mass of users who literally keep it ticking over whether I or other admins are actively posting or not. Always happy to hear new ideas for features or to point users to features they may not be aware we already have --- like blogs, clubs/groups, downloads, photo galleries etc etc etc .....

• Like 1

OK, I have had good responses to my proposal and will happily concede defeat on the idea as its clear that this site is the preferred option :ictscarf:

Thanks for the responses and the post by you Scotty ;). 

I suppose, that's that then so mods, if you feel the need, close this thread ;). 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

OK, I have had good responses to my proposal and will happily concede defeat on the idea as its clear that this site is the preferred option :ictscarf:

Thanks for the responses and the post by you Scotty ;). 

I suppose, that's that then so mods, if you feel the need, close this thread ;). 

No need to close the thread just yet I don't think. There may be others our there that would prefer the FB platform.

53 minutes ago, Gringo said:

No need to close the thread just yet I don't think. There may be others our there that would prefer the FB platform.

may also be a few folk who have suggestions or questions about features of the site they dont know about .... like our stats pages too - that are now pretty well up to date - for example ! or ideas for features we dont do ... its healthy to have a discussion like this from time to time and to hear what works or doesn't work for the site users ...

@CaleyTennis - I also would not base your decision on this small-ish sample of users. We definitely do not represent the entire ICT supporter base even if we would like to. There are people who dont come here for various different reasons in the same way as there are people who dont do Twitter, Facebook, IG etc. I learned a long time ago to stop trying to please everyone and to not take it personally if someone said they didn't come here for a particular reason. 

50 minutes ago, Scotty said:

may also be a few folk who have suggestions or questions about features of the site they dont know about .... like our stats pages too - that are now pretty well up to date - for example ! or ideas for features we dont do ... its healthy to have a discussion like this from time to time and to hear what works or doesn't work for the site users ...

@CaleyTennis - I also would not base your decision on this small-ish sample of users. We definitely do not represent the entire ICT supporter base even if we would like to. There are people who dont come here for various different reasons in the same way as there are people who dont do Twitter, Facebook, IG etc. I learned a long time ago to stop trying to please everyone and to not take it personally if someone said they didn't come here for a particular reason. 

Damn, and there was me trying to please you 🤣

• Funny 1