Building for next season.

CaleyTennis

8 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Who the fcuks Morpeth town Jesus thought Blackburn reserves were bad that's a made up team from Roy of the rovers surely who else plays for them the Mekon from the eagle comic I'll do the funnys there's no such team as Morpeth surely 

They say you're just a C(o)unty troll anyway.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Aww well if he's impressed u my man defo a worldie he's no been good enough come on be serious meant to have been Pollys replacement he's a clogger created very little going forward unlike Polly 

We need to agree to disagree. Carson has a good season. He was not playing the Polworth roll so not a direct comparison. Anyway, Polly divided opinion on here too last season!

• Like 1

He's improved whilst in the team, and I think he needs to keep playing to maintain his form - only problem is he's maybe not first choice from our full squad available. 

One of our more direct players though,  and likes a tackle. 😏

• Agree 2

Needing a statto type on here some1 with even less of a lockdown life than me to get a few out of contract affordable names up be a bit of craic can assemble a squad better than the current 1! Was watching Charlie boi Trafford on TV last night good actor alongside Dougray Scott

• Disagree 1

We build by allowing those on higher wages who's contracts expire unless they take cuts to fall in-line with our tighter wage structure, play more kids and sign less journeymen. Its pretty obvious logic - the strategy has to be based on Championship football as its the only certain scenario and in the background the club have to look at all out of contract players who may be available and work out a strategy for who we have and who may come in that fit our financial profile. Its likely that not only us but a lot of clubs will have even smaller budgets next year due to the losses from Covid-19 - therefore the players will have to accept less or the quality will drop. For clubs with big backers such as Hearts or Dundee they may be less affected if the benefactors decide to support in the gamble of promotion - IMO given our position I think this season was our gamble and due to circumstances outwith the clubs control its backfired.

It's hard with the current uncertainty over league recostruction on what we will need. I do believe that a striker, right back and centre back are an absolute must for next season. Sutherland I don't think is the answer even if we are in the championship next season. Another big question will be Toshneys fitness levels I was impressed in the few games I seen him in and think he will play a big part next season if he can stay out the physios room. 

• Like 1

Wonder who'll become our main striker when Jordan leaves. Don't really see any nessecity in bringing in a truck load of strikers like the other season when we've got Keatings, Storey and Todorov, as well as Roddy Kennedy, Shane Harkness and Kane Davies from our Youth setup. Think its time to give youth a chance and try to give them a chance mixed into the first team that they deserve to be a part of.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jack Waddington said:

Wonder who'll become our main striker when Jordan leaves. Don't really see any nessecity in bringing in a truck load of strikers like the other season when we've got Keatings, Storey and Todorov, as well as Roddy Kennedy, Shane Harkness and Kane Davies from our Youth setup. Think its time to give youth a chance and try to give them a chance mixed into the first team that they deserve to be a part of.

We also have Shane Sutherland on a PCA. 

From those names, who is going to provide the 15-25 goals needed for a serious title challenge? (And for the avoidance of doubt, I mean Championship not Premier!)

We need a prolific striker but simply can’t afford one. Might just have to make do.

Edited by Yngwie

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

From those names, who is going to provide the 15-25 goals needed for a serious title challenge? (And for the avoidance of doubt, I mean Championship not Premier!)

We need a prolific striker but simply can’t afford one. Might just have to make do.

We have been making do for the whole of our existence and have, in the past, worked wonders on a shoestring.

With young McKay back from loan and not so young  Shane back in full time football with something to prove, I think we might do okay.

Assuming there is no league reconstruction  Hearts will be the team with massively greater resources to beat in the division but, as we know, the first season after relegation can be a difficult one and I see no reason, as long as we can somehow sustain full time football, why we can't compete.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Perhaps, for once, I am looking at things from a "worried" perspective. As far as I am concerned I just want to attend a live game and watch ICT play again. This time is all about survival and I can see a number of teams collapsing. I couldn't give a feck who is in the team or who is on the bench. 

• Agree 7

All about survival right enough - we need to cut our cloth accordingly and forget about splashing out for a proven prolific striker. I think Jack is quite right, we have enough competition for the main striker role and the lads we have should be given their chance to prove what they can do.

If league reconstruction falls through then Hearts take on the same mantle that DU had this season, they should be a shoe-in for the title but where the Arabs knew what was needed to win this league, the Tarts don't - it will be a new experience from them fighting in the Championship and they might find themselves getting a bit of a shock (hopefully).

• Agree 3

We have enough up front. 

Need some new midfielders / attacking wide players or some of the youngsters stepping up. It's a golden opportunity for the youth. 

Daniel McKay - Time for him to make a dent. Maybe take Walsh's place? 

Walsh - Probably will head back to central belt. I like him, but he is inconsistent and injury prone. Sometimes winder about his attitude also. 

Machado - Think he is offski and heading abroad.

Trafford - Probably done his stint here and will hit the road and head back to North America. He has us on his CV and will have options there I would think. 

Doran - Might decide it's time to try a new adventure I think. Shame as he 

Hearts are an absolute shambles and their only advantage will be the anger at being relegated by paperwork rather than football.

Caley have to cultvate an anger at being kept down by edict, too.

Reconstruction won't happen. 14-team-leagues would be rubbish and 12 is the way they'll choose in order to guarantee four domestic abuse derbies a year.

You're all assuming that these are normal times, and that out-of-contract players will be off.

But these are not normal times. There is a very real chance that much, if not all, of next season will be played behind closed doors.  Can't have mass gatherings until there is mass immunity.

So, plan for no gate money coming in.   Now, how do you survive? 

If you're struggling for cash, and don't have a sugar daddy or mummy, then you're not going to be splashing out on new players.

Those out of contract might find it difficult to get more money elsewhere.  As for those who have already signed pre-contract agreements elsewhere, there will probably be lawyers at those clubs poring over the agreements to see if they can get out of them.

Best for us to assume no incomers, and wait and see who we can retain.

Normal service will not be resumed for a long time yet!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, aaroncoganshogun said:

Doran - Might decide it's time to try a new adventure I think. Shame as he

Doubt it. Mans been up here for donkeys, so I don't think he'll be wanting to relocate his family after they've been settled here for so long, and I can't see him ruining the loyalty he's gotten from us by signing for C*unty...

• Agree 1

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/john-robertson-unfinished-business-hearts-manager-and-league-reconstruction-doubts-2552496.

Ignore the part about reconstruction. I'd be very worried about the other main part of the headline :(, never mind players being signed or sold etc.

Discuss your thoughts on that :(. 

16 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/john-robertson-unfinished-business-hearts-manager-and-league-reconstruction-doubts-2552496.

Ignore the part about reconstruction. I'd be very worried about the other main part of the headline :(, never mind players being signed or sold etc.

If anyone heard the podcast that the press have taken it from Robbo never used the words unfinished business he just said if he got the chance again he feels he would be better with the experience he has gained. he did say never say never but at the moment it is the press spinning a harmless conversation about his career.

19 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

Assuming a lot there i.e. That hearts would actually want him Robbo will be here trust me on that well not be lucky enough to get rid with the possibility of some compo!