Building for next season.

CaleyTennis

I'm not sure exactly what folk expect Robbo to accomplish. His first season back was a write-off because he inherited an absolute clusterf*** of a club and its remarkable that we came so close to a playoff spot. Last season we finished third, behind two teams who had enormous budgets in comparison to us. And this season we finished second, behind one team with an enormous budget (United) and ahead of another (Dundee). 

He's also managed to turn Chalmers, Donaldson, McCart, Rooney and White (and possibly Walsh and Trafford) into Premiership players. Ig you'd said that when these guys signed for us you'd have been laughed out of town.

He's doing all right, I think. Certainly I think that, were he to leave, we'd be far more likely to end up with someone inferior than someone superior.

• Agree 8
  • Disagree 1

I think this signifies common sense. We need stability at this moment in time and I think Robbo certainly will achieve that. My only concern is he doesn't have a great track record in promoting youth, but going by SG comments on podcast I think our youth system will be the first casualty and we will be recruiting from down south. 

Each to there own but I think a lot of people on here overrate Robbo big time some of the comments about him are cringeworthy he turned X amount of players in to prem players 3 of them had played in the prem before! Sometimes it's good to roll the dice try something different that said I'll still be there in my new Caley top supporting the troops

2 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Each to there own but I think a lot of people on here overrate Robbo big time some of the comments about him are cringeworthy he turned X amount of players in to prem players 3 of them had played in the prem before! Sometimes it's good to roll the dice try something different that said I'll still be there in my new Caley top supporting the troops

What you on about "overrating him" mans gotten us to 3 Scottish Cup Semis in the 5 years he's been with us, all of which were with a First Division/Championship side. As well as finishing in (what would be) the playoff spots in 4 of those 5 seasons. Including 2 (potentially 3) Challenge Cups.

• Agree 3

For the people critical of extending the manager's contract, just who do they think we could attract in the current circumstances would be better and as experienced?

This element of stability is very welcome in such uncertain times.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Jack Waddington said:

What you on about "overrating him" mans gotten us to 3 Scottish Cup Semis in the 5 years he's been with us, all of which were with a First Division/Championship side. As well as finishing in (what would be) the playoff spots in 4 of those 5 seasons. Including 2 (potentially 3) Challenge Cups.

There u go pal answered your own question all while we were a 1st division side he's had years to get us promoted wev also been humiliated in each of his big cup games so defo overrated in my eyes! He's no been here 5 years either just feels like that my man! Sure every1s got there own opinions of him I just think every manager should have a shelf life 3 /4 seasons tops to achieve things at any club gets stale after a while like Wenger at Arsenal 

45 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

For the people critical of extending the manager's contract, just who do they think we could attract in the current circumstances would be better and as experienced?

This element of stability is very welcome in such uncertain times.

Why would u think we couldn't attract anybody you've a very low opinion of Caley as a club sure you'd be surprised the amount of managers who'd see us a a good move!

3 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

He's no been here 5 years either just feels like that my man!

Was referring to his previous stint in 2002-04, where he took us from mid table during the Pele era in the First Division to Promotion to the SPL. In those two seasons he was with us, he took us on back to back trips to Hampden and got us a Challenge Cup. The man knows what he's doing with the club, he's saved us before, and he can do it again, he's probably the best manager the club has ever had. Obviously Yogi is up there cos he took us to a League Cup final, a Scottish Cup title and Europe, but Robbo is better with working on a tight budget.

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

Some players/managers just 'fit' a club. Robbo is one of those.   Given the resources he has had (or more specifically not had) he has done remarkably well for our club in his management career and I hope to see him continue in that role for many years to come. 

You want to sanctify Yogi or Butcher - go ahead. Personally I wont try and tell you that you are wrong. Both had wonderful moments in charge of ICT and have a rightful place in our history. Getting us back to the Premiership, winning us the Scottish Cup - you cant take any of that away. However, also remember that both of these managers oversaw the greatest budgets in our club's history, one to bounce back to the Premiership and the other whilst we were in it. If you want a manager to make something out of nothing using a budget to match then Robbo is your man , and right here, right now, I would rather have him at the helm than any other manager in our history.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Facepalm 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen that Liverpool have dumped some of their players. Obviously Adam Lallana and Nathaniel Clyne are never going to happen, but there are a few players that have been dumped, and potentially could be taken in with us on a free, none of which have made any appearances for the Liverpool first team. 

Think if we're not looking for keepers, these are the ones we should be looking at:

Jack Walls (Defender, only been at Liverpool) or, Issac Christie-Davies (Midfielder, went to Brugge on loan, no appearances for either). They're the only two outfielders who've been released, Christie-Davies has played internationally as a youth for Wales and England, but hasn't been called up since 2018.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11956567/liverpool-release-lallana-clyne-premier-league/?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=bau_paid_social_sunfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=uv_audience&utm_content=paid_boost

Edited by Jack Waddington

7 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

If he’s rejected an offer from Dundee, I don’t see him coming back here. 

10 hours ago, RiG said:

Trafford, having left ICT under freedom of contract, signs for Hamilton. 

:laugh:

Whilst another of Alan’s favourites gets a contract in the top league....

• Funny 3

53 minutes ago, Robert said:

If he’s rejected an offer from Dundee, I don’t see him coming back here. 

I don't see him getting a bigger/better paying club than Dundee as he's hardly set the heather alight there. Only answer I can see is back home to a L1 EFL club that pays twice Dundee wages.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

A passing mention in a squad update statement is hardly saying thanks directly, feels more like they're saying "X, Y and Z are leaving the club. Oh and by the way, so is Carly, thanks for everything". Nor have they even acknowledged his heartfelt statement, all those duties have been left for the fans to do.