Building for next season.

CaleyTennis

You can read Carl's statement two different ways. 1. He meant it's a shame the way it finished not getting a send off from the fans due to covid or 2. A shame he didn't get offered a new contract. Although honestly, it was probably the latter. 

Sometimes you have to be brutal. Robbo has a budget. If Carl was on decent wages and we have a capable deputy on peanuts. Why not bring in the deputy and redivert the wages to positions where we need more quality. I'm not meaning to be brutal to Carl because I loved his passion and commitment to our club but we can't be sentimental when finances are so tight and the only way drastically improve our finances is promotion. Which comes from a better and balanced squad. The nature of our squad generally means we have 11 decent starters, then cover. 2 good left backs seems silly.

• Agree 1

It happens in all jobs to good employees and even more so at this time I hope that those who are not offered contracts from football clubs and those made redundant by employers will find some work to support themselves and their families.

• Agree 1

Has Carl not got a coaching school on the go up here, could be wrong. Another thing I would like to see is a Todorov/Sutherland partnership up front. I think that would produce the goals we lack. Shane is looking fit and good to go

• Agree 1

This was the thing that puzzled me. Tremarco, IIRC, was still on a contract from our final season in the Premiership (I'm not sure if he signed a new deal after relegation?) so a new deal on those wages was clearly a non starter. I don't understand why we didn't offer him a new deal on a reduced wage, maybe saying this is the most we can offer you and see if he would take it. That article appears to confirm that it was simply a case of the club were letting him go and ho no interest whatsoever in retaining him which seems quite strange. His performances last season were still of a good enough standard to warrant one more season at this level. Not offering him anything at all seems an odd move. 

3 hours ago, IBM said:

And from today's P&J 

IMG_0829.JPG

League One or League Two? Safe to say that's C*unty out of the running, so. Cove Rangers or Elgin City really, maybe Brechin, if he's staying put in Inverness. Not really any other "local" sides that are easy to get out to in either league...

1 hour ago, RiG said:

This was the thing that puzzled me. Tremarco, IIRC, was still on a contract from our final season in the Premiership (I'm not sure if he signed a new deal after relegation?) so a new deal on those wages was clearly a non starter. I don't understand why we didn't offer him a new deal on a reduced wage, maybe saying this is the most we can offer you and see if he would take it. That article appears to confirm that it was simply a case of the club were letting him go and ho no interest whatsoever in retaining him which seems quite strange. His performances last season were still of a good enough standard to warrant one more season at this level. Not offering him anything at all seems an odd move. 

For one thing, I believe the club is very, very big on Cameron Harper. If they fancy him as the starting LB next season then it's not good value for us to hold on Tremarco even on a reduced wage, when that could be used on another part of the squad (the rest of the defence, for example!!!)

Whilst Carl is very bullish about his own ability - and to be fair he was very good last season - he is nearly 35 and is already clearly a bit slower than he was at his peak. He's only going to slow down further and he's at an age where the legs can go very quickly...and plays a position where athleticism is vital.

On 7/3/2020 at 12:25 PM, hislopsoffsideagain said:

For one thing, I believe the club is very, very big on Cameron Harper. If they fancy him as the starting LB next season then it's not good value for us to hold on Tremarco even on a reduced wage, when that could be used on another part of the squad (the rest of the defence, for example!!!)

Whilst Carl is very bullish about his own ability - and to be fair he was very good last season - he is nearly 35 and is already clearly a bit slower than he was at his peak. He's only going to slow down further and he's at an age where the legs can go very quickly...and plays a position where athleticism is vital.

Don't disagree there is a lot to be excited about WRT Harper however I find it strange that we didn't even offer a reduced deal to Tremarco given his performances have still be as good as they have been for the last couple of seasons and the fact we struggle to get players up to our neck of the woods anyway. If someone like Brad Mckay is considered worthy of a new deal it's pretty baffling that a better player in Tremarco, despit e his age, isn't offered anything whatsoever. I suppose there is a chance that offering him a contract that is worth almost nothing might be seen to be pretty insulting but I am surprised we didn't try to come to some kind of agreement with him.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:08 PM, Robert said:

He did sign a new contract some time after relegation so would not have been on a Premiership wage. 

Yeah I had a suspicion that he would have done but I hadn't found anything with a quick Google when I posted that last week.

If it does, I think he can be an asset for us with game time. That said, I’d be surprised if we took another wage on at this time as he cannot be furloughed. 

Edited by Robert

On 7/3/2020 at 11:53 AM, Jack Waddington said:

League One or League Two? Safe to say that's C*unty out of the running, so. Cove Rangers or Elgin City really, maybe Brechin, if he's staying put in Inverness. Not really any other "local" sides that are easy to get out to in either league...

Peterhead, Montrose, Forfar?

29 minutes ago, aaroncoganshogun said:

Player / Coach at Elgin. Heard it's 99% done deal.

Once confirmed, I’m really pleased for him. Great he can continue in the game and remain based locally. 

• Agree 2

Delighted for him if he has managed to secure a player coach position at Elgin.

I still feel that, after so many years of loyal service, we should have at least offered him another season on reduced terms.

If confirmed, I might just put a bob or two on Elgin winning the League 2 title.

Once he has a bit of coaching experience under his belt, I would not be entirely surprised, or indeed entirely disappointed, if he came back as manager one day.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

I still feel that, after so many years of loyal service, we should have at least offered him another season on reduced terms.

If confirmed, I might just put a bob or two on Elgin winning the League 2 title.

Once he has a bit of coaching experience under his belt, I would not be entirely surprised, or indeed entirely disappointed, if he came back as manager one day.

I think most folk are expecting Queens Park to cigar that league next season given the cash they are flinging around signing Championship players to drop down two tiers.

13 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

12 hours ago, RiG said:

I think most folk are expecting Queens Park to cigar that league next season given the cash they are flinging around signing Championship players to drop down two tiers.

Absolutely delighted  Tremarco has found a club - would have been more delighted if he was still with us for the up and coming season. Why did it have to be Elgin City though - such a small minded club lacking ambition. In fact the signing of Tremarco could be the most ambitious thing they have done in their entire  league history.  

I agree with Rig I think the best Elgin can hope for is the play-offs (preferably relegation) as I think Queens and Edinburgh City will prove to strong for them. They also have a massive void in Shane Sutherland to fill and I doubt very much they will find a replacement of his quality. Shane was definitely far to good for League 2 but not sure about him being Championship quality - lets hope so, 

• Agree 1

Too many people on here doubting Shane's ability to play at the level we are at. Just remember he was playing premiership here. There is goals in the guy I have seen him the past two seasons and he will put away the chances we missed the last two years, so give him some slack

• Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one that's getting worried/concerned about our lack of transfer activity 🤔

I know people will say that other clubs aren't signing either but that's not true because Ayr, Dunfermline, Raith and even PARTICK have signed players!! 

Most people would agree that we need another 2-3 players in so, the sooner the better imho. 

11 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

Am I the only one that's getting worried/concerned about our lack of transfer activity 🤔

I know people will say that other clubs aren't signing either but that's not true because Ayr, Dunfermline, Raith and even PARTICK have signed players!! 

Most people would agree that we need another 2-3 players in so, the sooner the better imho. 

Yes you are. As all the players are in furlough. Whats the point in paying now? 

There will be plenty players available 

• Agree 2