Covid 19

My thoughts go out today to the very many in Inverness and the very many thousands throughout the United Kingdom who face losing their jobs at Debenhams and the many shops and concessions of the Arcadia Group.

The final blow may have been delivered by Covid but they are the hard working and dedicated victims of the greedy asset stripper Philip Green. Not a penny invested since his acquisition, hundreds of millions stripped out by he and his wife and the pension fund hollowed out and grossly underfunded. Hiding in his £100,000,000 super yacht in Monaco whilst those poor soles who toiled so hard and without appreciation for so long on his behalf worry about how they are going to be able to pay the rent and put food on the table.

Best wishes to all of you and I hope that we some how manage to build back a fairer and more secure economy for you all to find jobs in before too long.

As for Philip Green, how about filling that gaping hole in the pension fund as the very least you can do ?

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

My thoughts go out today to the very many in Inverness and the very many thousands throughout the United Kingdom who face losing their jobs at Debenhams and the many shops and concessions of the Arcadia Group.

The final blow may have been delivered by Covid but they are the hard working and dedicated victims of the greedy asset stripper Philip Green. Not a penny invested since his acquisition, hundreds of millions stripped out by he and his wife and the pension fund hollowed out and grossly underfunded. Hiding in his £100,000,000 super yacht in Monaco whilst those poor soles who toiled so hard and without appreciation for so long on his behalf worry about how they are going to be able to pay the rent and put food on the table.

Best wishes to all of you and I hope that we some how manage to build back a fairer and more secure economy for you all to find jobs in before too long.

As for Philip Green, how about filling that gaping hole in the pension fund as the very least you can do ?

Well said Kingsmills :clapping:  his title should be stripped from him but as usual it will not happen within our "United Kingdom" 

Mike Ashley is trying to get his predatory claws into the corpse of Debenhams.

Sadly, I don't think that will mean any salvation for the shops or staff.

I suspect that he has his eyes on the brand name, the stock at rock bottom prices and the still lucrative cosmetics sales. I doubt very much has any use for the bricks and mortar and still less use for or concern for the staff.

It’s a tricky one, as my wife feels Inverness, and Eastgate in particular, will die if Debenhams goes.

That could make more retailers pull out and hurt the remaining small local businesses, possibly terminally.

I’m no fan of Mike Ashley and his methods, but it may be the lesser of two evils. 

I think it's the likes of Debenhams which impacted on the small businesses initially, taking footfall away from the high streets before the dotcom shopping took off.

Let's not forget that without a flagship Debenhams presence the Eastgate2 would have struggled to get out of the ground.

Mike Ashley will keep some of the business afloat,  which he's done successfully over the years - buying up overvalued brands for sums closer to their real value. 

Depending on location some premises will be kept/expanded and/or brought together with existing brands in his portfolio. 

To have so many concessions under one (arcadia) group was madness from the outset...too many eggs in the basket. Doomed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

March the first and a year exactly since the first Covid case was reported in Scotland and what a year it has been, especially for this bereaved, suffering illness including lockdown induced mental health issues and those who have been rendered unemployed.

However, the news on new cases  hospitalisations, deaths and the effectiveness of the vaccine are increasingly positive so there is real reason to believe that we may not be too many weeks away now to reverting to something much closer to normality.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IBM said:

In the age group 60-65 I am waiting patiently for a call or letter to go for my first jag which should be this month.

In age group 55-60 and I have my appointment for mine in the post today.

Jab next week.

Really bad to see the crowds gathering in Glasgow today after Rangers won the league.

Do people not understand that life is more important than a title win?

I hear there has been some partying in Inverness and fireworks tonight.

Shocking disregard of the safety of others. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 4

Maybe the SPFL will dock The Rangers 50 points for failing to control their fans!

Seriously though, one of the reasons rates have been as high as they are is that the authorities have not clamped down hard enough on those who don't give a damn about other folk and who flout the regulations.  An early no-nonsense approach would have made these idiots think twice before undermining everybody else's efforts to get the virus under control.

• Agree 4

13 hours ago, Robert said:

Really bad to see the crowds gathering in Glasgow today after Rangers won the league.

Do people not understand that life is more important than a title win?

I hear there has been some partying in Inverness and fireworks tonight.

Shocking disregard of the safety of others. 

Equally shocking that the club, initially at least  did not come out and condemn and deplore the actions of so many of their supporters and call on it to stop.

• Agree 4

Watching today’s covid briefing, Rangers were asked twice prior to the weekend to issue messaging discouraging events like what happened, but they failed to do so.

That is shocking.

After the Celtic Dubai debacle, both clubs seem incredibly divorced from reality, or they think they are somehow immune from the issues facing the rest of the world.

Football’s “red card” may be a step closer due to both clubs’ actions and the idiots who risked public safety yesterday.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 2

On 3/2/2021 at 10:52 AM, Kingsmills said:

In age group 55-60 and I have my appointment for mine in the post today.

Jab next week.

jagged this morning. Very efficient process, thank you to all concerned. Completely painless and, thus far at least, no ill effects whatever.

When you get the opportunity, come on in, the water's lovely !

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised to see there is a flight from Bristol this afternoon, and it looks like there will be on Tuesdays and Fridays throughout April. Gatwick and Luton flights look to restart in May.

For the last few months, there have only been flights to the islands, and as the travel ban remains in place apart from essential journeys, it seems a bit early for Bristol flights starting. It seems more than a coincidence that the first one is at Easter. 

Edited by Robert

• 8 months later...

On 25th December last year I attended, and for that matter cooked, a meal of smoked salmon, Scotch broth, turkey, Brussel sprouts, kilted sausages, bread sauce and roast potatoes finished off by fruit pudding and brandy all washed down with sparkling wine and crackers were pulled and paper hats worn.

Although all those round the table were from my immediate household, I have now been quizzed as to whether this was Christmas dinner rather than the snack with colleagues that I have always claimed it to be.

In the circumstances, I have tasked the dog to investigate and report back just as soon as her species evolves sufficiently to complete the task.

22 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

On 25th December last year I attended, and for that matter cooked, a meal of smoked salmon, Scotch broth, turkey, Brussel sprouts, kilted sausages, bread sauce and roast potatoes finished off by fruit pudding and brandy all washed down with sparkling wine and crackers were pulled and paper hats worn.

Although all those round the table were from my immediate household, I have now been quizzed as to whether this was Christmas dinner rather than the snack with colleagues that I have always claimed it to be.

In the circumstances, I have tasked the dog to investigate and report back just as soon as her species evolves sufficiently to complete the task.

It has now been brought to my attention that there has emerged mobile 'phone footage of someone somewhat resembling me enquiring whether those present at the socially distanced gathering with snacks whether they had enjoyed their Christmas dinner.

It was of course 25th December 2020 which was the anniversary of 25th December 2019 when such things were permissible and it is only reasonable that on the anniversary one should enquire as to the events of a year before.

However, if it transpires that I have misled the members of this forum in any way, however inadvertently, I will of course do the honourable thing and make sure that someone, maybe several someones, take full responsibility.

In the meantime, can anyone sub me a few quid for some paint and a few rolls of wallpaper?