Covid 19

17 hours ago, Satan said:

I see the FM is going to whitehall with the begging bowl again due to effect of Omicron on the hospitality sector.

Perhaps after this latest surge passes we can expect to remove the masks for good in the new year.

The Scottish government has a fixed budget and very limited borrowing powes.

An independent Scotland wouod be able to borrow to fund appreciate compensation for the hospitality industry just as the UK government should do but probably now won't as Boris Johnston has lost control of his ideologically libertarian, Covid denying back benchers.

The continued wearing of face coverings in public indoor settings is surely a very modest imposition to continue to protect the most vulnerable from this infuriating virus.

Surely such a rich forward thinking independent nation wouldn't need to borrow to support the hospitality sector...

I dread to think what rating we would have in the international money market, we'd be mired in debt forever and a day.

Face coverings are only useful with enforcement, when everyone abides by the rule. Lack of enforcement on public transport is an absolute sham, and along with the relaxed attitudes in pubs & bars it's a bit rich that these are the ones who come crying first when their profits are hit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Satan said:

Surely such a rich forward thinking independent nation wouldn't need to borrow to support the hospitality sector...

I dread to think what rating we would have in the international money market, we'd be mired in debt forever and a day.

Face coverings are only useful with enforcement, when everyone abides by the rule. Lack of enforcement on public transport is an absolute sham, and along with the relaxed attitudes in pubs & bars it's a bit rich that these are the ones who come crying first when their profits are hit.

Every single country in Europe has borrowed at historically low interest rates to fund Covid support measures with the exception of Norway, a country of about five million people which was fortunate enough to discover substantial reserves of oil and gas in it's territorial sector of the North Sea in the late 1960s, does that sound familiar?

Instead of having to borrow, Norway was able to draw on it's €600,000,000,000 oil fund which, as a small independent nation it was able to build up over the decades of explotatation of it's resources.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that the relaxed attitude of many business owners and managers in the hospitality sector to what remains a major public health issue has been very disappointing and that a heavier hand should have been taken with enforcement.

Personally, I deal with the issue by taking my custom to the many businesses who do take the matter seriously.

England now seems to be the only country now in Western Europe that feels it unnecessary, or more likely finds it politically impossible, to bring in fresh precautions in the face of omicom.

I have no sympathy for those in government at Westminster but sincerely hope this does not prove too much of a disaster for the population.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of Boris Johnston's performance at PMQs today is that someone who has lied for so long and so consistently remains so poor at it.

I am sure most 8 year olds, given time to think about it, could have come up with something more plausible.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of Boris Johnston's performance at PMQs today is that someone who has lied for so long and so consistently remains so poor at it.

I am sure most 8 year olds, given time to think about it, could have come up with something more plausible.

It's no wonder the country is in such a mess when the government and officials are partying all the time!

On 12/23/2021 at 7:21 AM, Kingsmills said:

England now seems to be the only country now in Western Europe that feels it unnecessary, or more likely finds it politically impossible, to bring in fresh precautions in the face of omicom.

Google Doug Ford - our erstwhile provincial premiere (conservative) and his counterpart in Alberta (Jason Kenney - also conservative) could give BoJo a run for his money in the stupidity stakes .... coupled with Trump south of the border until recently and it was a true cluster**** of epic proportions.

Think we should all move to New Zealand. Their leadership at least seems to be consistent and decisive even if she too has faced challenges.  

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Not only is he clearly lying, he is also admitting he participated in an event which does not, by any stretch of the imagination, "technically" comply with the guidelines as he would have us believe.  The guidelines which his Government put in place stated quite clearly that "Workers should try to minimise all meetings and other gatherings in the workplace" and that "only absolutely necessary participants should attend meetings".  Clearly a gathering for some after work drinkies is not "absolutely necessary".  The rules for meeting people outdoors limited contact to just one other person.  Boris, in his attempt at an apology, said that in hindsight he should have taken folk back inside, but had people returned to the work environment, the gathering would still not have been remotely necessary.  By admitting as much as he has, Boris is, in effect, admitting that he and all the participants broke the law.

It seems that it is only he and his staunchest supporters who fail to see his position is untenable.  Only they fail to understand that the anger and sense of betrayal felt by folk across the country is such that an apology is simply not good enough.  He has to go.

Edited by DoofersDad

Boris will remain (despite having a ludicrous hardcore of followers)  as long as the powers behind the throne let him. Now brexit is done and the worst of covid might be behind us the time is right for a new face to win the next election. His antics are no surprise to those who put him there and backed him, now the same ones who have kept a lid on things for the past few years are stepping back as the bus comes hurtling towards him.

There have been few UK prime ministers in my lifetime that I have had much regard for and one in particular who's views and policies I found utterly abhorrent.

However, I am in no doubt that each and every one of them, perhaps most particularly the hated Margaret Thatcher, would have tried to set an example by following their own laws in the midst of a public health crisis or, at the very least, had they not, would have the decency and integrity to SINCERELY apologise and to resign.

Boris Johnston is not fit for any position of leadership having, for decades, in his personal, professional, or political life an utter disregard for truth, probity and common decency believing that anything that furthers the lusts, desires and ambitions of Boris Johnston is acceptable if he can somehow lie obsfuscate his way out of or around it.

Now, he seems to have gone to far even for some of those who have, for reasons known only to themselves, supported, or at least tolerated, him in the past.

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Now, he seems to have gone to far even for some of those who have, for reasons known only to themselves, supported, or at least tolerated, him in the past.

Well now he is taking his own guidance to extreme, and is hiding minimising contact for a week.   Must have a luxury fridge in there - I wonder who paid for it.

14 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Well now he is taking his own guidance to extreme, and is hiding minimising contact for a week.   Must have a luxury fridge in there - I wonder who paid for it.

I hope that that fridge is well stocked with wine and cheese, apparently essential work materials in Downing Street, so that the PM can get some work done whilst he self isolates himself from reality.

• 2 months later...

There we have it, after a thorough police investigation, the Prime Minister has been found guilty of, on at least two occasions, breaking the criminal law by attending the parties that he initially told parliament had not taken place, then that they had taken place in his house and garden and but he knew nothing about them and finally that he had inadvertently attended one but had no idea it was a party.

Many of us have known for years that Johnston has no  moral compass, lacks integrity and has, over the years and continues to be a very distant stranger to the truth.

What has the United Kingdom become when such a person can rise to lead it and, in all probability continue to do so despite today's findings?

High time Scotland became a normal independent country and dragged ourselves out of this increasingly stinking cess pit.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

There we have it, after a thorough police investigation, the Prime Minister has been found guilty of, on at least two occasions, breaking the criminal law by attending the parties that he initially told parliament had not taken place, then that they had taken place in his house and garden and but he knew nothing about them and finally that he had inadvertently attended one but had no idea it was a party.

Many of us have known for years that Johnston has no  moral compass, lacks integrity and has, over the years and continues to be a very distant stranger to the truth.

What has the United Kingdom become when such a person can rise to lead it and, in all probability continue to do so despite today's findings?

High time Scotland became a normal independent country and dragged ourselves out of this increasingly stinking cess pit.

Totally agree and the pathetic excuse that Douglas Ross gave in his interview for him staying is an insult to the decent folk of Scotland.

• Agree 1