Back to the stripes this season

CaleyTennis

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle Away Goalie Top. Look familiar. Im hearing that this style of top was on sale from Puma last season, as a basic training top, for only £17. Stick a team badge on it and triple the price!!
So ICT have it as their away top. Newcastle have it as Keepers top and some other team, uses the same design for their top too. Seems lazy to me

EfC_gsUWsAEL3NT?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Always an emotive subject - and you are right, you could pick up the basic goalkeeper top from Puma for about £18. But that's not an ICT top, that's the basic bog standard 'blank' design. There are additional costs involved for adding the various elements that would be on the official top such as badge, league logos, sponsor transfers etc. ICT would likely not get a huge discount given to us on the cost because we would not sell as much as teams with a bigger fanbase, and we are no doubt paying some form of shipping fees so once all is said and done I doubt our cost is £18 per top.

After all that we then have to make our own profit on top of that ..... Football tops are a rip-off, no argument, but ICT tend to charge the going rate and outside of a sponsor or supplier change only change one top per year so not trying to rip off its fans and customers. I don't buy every ICT top, I buy the ones I like and have a decent collection over the last 26 years - maybe about 15 of them .... this one looks good IMHO so I am eagerly awaiting its arrival for both me and the wee fella 🙂

For reference - MLS tops are even more expensive ... to get an officially licensed 'authentic' as opposed to 'replica' top MLS/Toronto FC top (Adidas) charge a minimum of CDN$140 + tax which takes it to about $160. In GBP that is around £90 and all MLS teams release between 3-5 tops per year, every year .... (Home, Away, GK,  plus 'specials' like the Pride top, the Unity top, the Armed Forces Appreciation top etc etc etc). In contrast to my 15+ ICT tops, I have a total of 3 TFC tops since 2007 and instead tend to buy polo tops for around $50/$60. They priced me out of the market for official tops for anyone but my son.     

27 minutes ago, Satan said:

What was the big deal about pre ordering if you can just go pick one up from the stadium now?

probably about money in the door at a time when needed .... many clubs do it.  if you are going to buy the kit anyway, its also a good way to make sure your size is available, and saves a trip to the stadium, which is a little harder for some than others ....

I also dont get all this hate the club seem to be getting on facebook because the kit is on sale a few days after pre-orders have been sent out but before they are received? With Errea in the past you never knew what you would get in on the order and some sizes were sold-out immediately, came in in lesser quantities, or didnt arrive at all. At least this way, you pre-order, you get first crack at it. Also, it went on sale yesterday I think but I got my email on Monday saying it had been dispatched so I am assuming the tops came in late last week, shop staff sorted them, assembled and packed the pre-orders, then posted them, issued the email and then, and only then put the rest of the stock on sale .... given our small staff I would call that very efficient rather than anything else. Good job to @Govan Jaggie for standing his ground on the thread I saw to the point where the commenter then started attacking him for being a part-time supporter .....  he destroyed that comment in about 3 seconds!

I guess I have a different perspective to the locals on facebook as I would have to pay for P&P anyway .... but a few folk decrying the club for the manufacturer delay and missing birthdays (my order missed my son's birthday too), and a few complaining about P&P when they can go down to the stadium today and pick it up which I guess is a fair enough argument ... but I am sure the club would refund the P&P if you made that point to them. 

For me the strip is never about wearing it a lot - it gets a few airings then is consigned to the cupboard with all the rest - its about sticking a few quid in where you can to support the club, be it shares, season tickets, player sponsorship, or other unseen work in kind in an area where they need help.

Can only assume it's not as bad as Carbrini, when did those pre-orders get in, was well after they went on sale at JD and the club shop and a few weeks into the season wasn't it? They were woeful with those kits. Nice designs, but awful quality on the sponsorship and shipping.

I hear your point Scotty but the club do make it very difficult to "support" them.  Myself and the boy bought season tickets on the day they were released and a strip was ordered for him the day they were for sale on pre-order.  But to have paid fo rthis two months ago (maybe more) and £4.95 P&P then for us not to have them before they go on general sale just seems bonkers.  I'm not looking for a pat on th eback for putting finds in - it's what we all want to do to help the club.  But time after time, they seem to fall short in the little things and ultimately I think people then feel that their support is at best taken for granted or at worst not even worthy of getting a strip sent out before it goes on general release.  Yes staff numbers are short, yes a global pandemic but how many times on the forum have similar threads appeared.  If it wasn't a football club and heart strings were involved, you'd simply not accept the crap service IMHO.  We were told you might get your strip on Saturday - not sparkling levels of customer service - how do we get more bums on seats if that is what we aspire to off the pitch?  On a separate note, hope everyone on here healthy - I've not been on at all as I've been running the business myself due to the virus so sick of looking at screens.... 

It's good business practice if you know what the likely demand will be for your product, therefore taking advance orders allows ICT to provide a more accurate order to Puma. I would imagine that there would be different pricing for different quantities of shirts and again if you have a good knowledge of demand it is more likely that the best price for the correct quantity can be achieved. Less overstocks as well.This is pretty normal practice especially where bulk orders are concerned.

I have sympathy with those who pre-ordered. It is not unreasonable to expect it to be delivered before sales are available in the store. 

Equally I understand why the club wants them on sale in store as soon as possible.

Perhaps waiting and having them on sale in store on Monday would have been the best compromise but sometimes you just can’t win. 

Not strictly talking about the strip, but more about the merchandise. I am very impressed with the buffs that are on sale just now. We can all use a buff in these 'unprecedented times', in place of a face mask (and much more comfortable too). There are several designs and I can imagine some fans investing in the whole set. A great way to show your support.We are all quick to have a go, but I think these will be a great seller this season - if it ever starts.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic