ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

19 minutes ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Me yesterday:

"It's fine that we're not signing anyone because there's still two months left in the transfer window, there's going to be lots of players available at cheaper rates come October so we'll be in a strong position".

Me today after hearing Tom Walsh has signed for Ayr United:

"IT'S THE END OF THE F*****G WORLD!!!"

That said, Robbie Deas was great for Alloa last season, and he's only 20. Really pleased with that move. If we're handing out three year contracts we can't be too short of cash...right?

Edited by hislopsoffsideagain

I'd be lying if I said I knew a lot about this guy but he played a lot of football for Alloa last season as a CB and he didn't get booked that often. Suggests that, even for 20 years old, he's very good in timing his challenges to void giving away too many fouls. Alloa fans were hoping to get him permanently so for us to bag him on a 3 year deal after turning down other clubs seems like an excellent piece of business. 

Looks like a big lad. Here he is scoring a late equaliser against Morton last season:

Edited by RiG

40 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Deas signing for us could also mean Daniel Mackay could be returning to the first team, as the pair of them have played together in the Scotland U19s

I hope john robertson doesn't use that as an aid in team selection.

At least if Deas works out, we have a few years in which to sell him on , rather than lose him for nothing.

Robbie Deas appears to be a sound bit of business. 2 or 3 others needed in my opinion. 

Wondering if Daniel MacKay can fill Walsh's boots? Was he played as a winger at Elgin?

6 hours ago, Robert said:

Encouraging comments from him on the club website. Hopefully he will do a good job for us.

Centre half was one position we were light on, now we need a right back and potentially a central midfielder and we will be getting towards a reasonable strength in depth:

https://ictfc.com/robbie-deas-signs-for-ictfc

I'd say defence and possibly striker is what we need to prioritise first and foremost. 

I'd still like to see some of the younger guys such as McGregor, Harper and Mackay get a shot in the first team :ictscarf:

I've looked at the club site to have a look at our squad and depth in each position and come up with a list of all players in each position so that it's easy for us to work out where needs strengthened. 

GK: Mark Ridgers, Cameron Mackay and Jamie McKinnon

Defence: Lewis Toshney, Robbie Deas, Kevin McHattie, Brad Mackay and Cammy Harper

Midfield: Sean Welsh, David Carson, Aaron Doran, James Vincent, Roddy McGregor, Shane Harkness and Lewis Hyde

Forwards/Strikers: Shane Sutherland, James Keatings, Miles Storey, Nikolay Todorov and Daniel Mackay. 

So really, it is the defence that needs strengthened imho. We have enough cover in Midfield (unless Hyde and Harkness are not ready for the step up, in which case another couple of additions may be needed, but not urgent), striker and GK positions so all in all, we ain't really in a bad position :ictscarf:

13 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

I've looked at the club site to have a look at our squad and depth in each position and come up with a list of all players in each position so that it's easy for us to work out where needs strengthened. 

GK: Mark Ridgers, Cameron Mackay and Jamie McKinnon

Defence: Lewis Toshney, Robbie Deas, Kevin McHattie, Brad Mackay and Cammy Harper

Midfield: Sean Welsh, David Carson, Aaron Doran, James Vincent, Roddy McGregor, Shane Harkness and Lewis Hyde

Forwards/Strikers: Shane Sutherland, James Keatings, Miles Storey, Nikolay Todorov and Daniel Mackay. 

So really, it is the defence that needs strengthened imho. We have enough cover in Midfield (unless Hyde and Harkness are not ready for the step up, in which case another couple of additions may be needed, but not urgent), striker and GK positions so all in all, we ain't really in a bad position :ictscarf:

The midfield and up top while wer covered for numbers are short on quality Doran and Walsh tho decent are never fit and I don't see many goals in our forwards no width whatsoever either can't keep using Storey as a winger not his position he's wasted out there it's a waste he's our best striker by far

1 hour ago, Alan Simpson said:

The midfield and up top while wer covered for numbers are short on quality Doran and Walsh tho decent are never fit and I don't see many goals in our forwards no width whatsoever either can't keep using Storey as a winger not his position he's wasted out there it's a waste he's our best striker by far

I think Sutherland will do a good job for us. He’s a natural finisher so should be more prolific than recent strikers. Todorov may get a run in the team also and show us what he’s capable of. 

I suspect Storey will continue to play wide where his pace can hurt defences. He just needs to be a bit less selfish when he has the ball and, if played up front, learn how to head it!!

13 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Entirely agree. With a very limited budget, there are other priorities.

Let's just hope Lewis Toshney can stay fit. His injury record isn't great. He looked really good in the couple games I saw him play last year though so fingers crossed  

Why shouldn't we be looking at a CB? Just because we already have some? If Robbo can get someone in who is an upgrade on the ones we have, and they would be within our budget, then I don't see why he wouldn't at least consider it. Not sure about Meekings coming back but he'd be an upgrade on someone like Mckay for sure. Agree we definitely need a right back.

No reason, just going by Robbo’s comments. As things stand, we have one player who can play right back (Mckay), four who can play centre back (Mckay, Toshney, Deas and McHattie) and row who can play left back (Harper and McHattie) so reasonable cover apart from right back.

That assumes Deas, as a left sided player, cannot play right back. 

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/
  • tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • tm4tj pinned this topic
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic