ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

Very good to see we are (re)building a squad this early into pre season, more to come I'm sure and the feel good factor can continue with Mr Dodds & especially Mr Hughes getting them into the best shape they've ever been in for a title assault. 

I think this will be the most entertaining and competitive Championship for a number of years with ourselves, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Dunfermline, Raith and Partck all fairly evenly matched in terms of financial resources and playing squad.

It could indeed come down to fitness and avoiding unnecessary injuries in training so Mr Hughes could turn out to be the most important addition of all.

3 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Great to have such a promising youngster and for the full season rather than just until January.

Not sure if it's down to Robbo, Dodds or the CEO but an excellent piece of business by someone.

He’s just 19 and made one appearance off the bench for Norwich. Anyone know if he is a holding or attacking midfield player?

I’m greatly encouraged by recent activity. We can really count McDonald as a new signing, so we have McDonald, Walsh, McAlear, Billy Mckay and Duku to add to last year’s team, with Toshney, Brad Mckay, McHattie, Vincent, Mackay, Keatings, Todorov and (presumably) Storey away.

Assuming Doran and Cammy MacKay stay, a couple of defenders are needed to complete what is looking like a pretty decent squad. 

Edited by Robert

16 minutes ago, Robert said:

He’s just 19 and made one appearance off the bench for Norwich. Anyone know if he is a holding or attacking midfield player?

He is apparently a box to box midfielder.

Great to see us doing so much business, and with such decent players, so early in the close season in contrast to so many years when we are playing catch up in July.

That is the midfield and attack well and truly sorted with a decent depth and range of options in both departments.

Just the defence to sort out now.

Excellent. business so far on such a tight budget.

• Agree 1

What a difference 48 hours makes. I was looking at the squad that was there for training on Tuesday and struggled to find a starting 11. Its looking a lot healthier now. I am hopeful now, that ICT will be contenders this coming season.

I have to say initially I was not keen to take any ex County players but after a busy week in the squad is taking shape and as others have said we should be up and running with a good mix of experience and youth in the team. 

I’m really happy with how the squad is taking shape.

We now have a few weeks to complete the picture (couple of defenders required in my opinion, and a goalie if MacKay does not stay), and get them to gel in terms of shape and tactics.

Hopefully we are ready for 13 July for the cup ties and flying by the time the league starts on 31 July.

We are probably more optimistic in June than we have been for some seasons. Let’s hope this is the year we get back up!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Satan said:

It was good (at times) to see the youth involved last year  it's been lacking for too long, but it was some experience we lacked at crucial times in the crunch games.

agree with this … I am a fan of the adage that "if you are good enough, you are old enough" but while youth is all well and good, and its great to see players get their chances, you absolutely need some experience and veteran presence to grind out results over the course of a season and to act as mentors to younger players coming through. Pretty happy with how the squad has shaped up so far, and the addition of someone to look after fitness and hopefully reduce injuries is also important ... that's one area where Brewster had us as the fittest team going and I think we competed for the full 90 in those games rather than tiring out and either losing games late on or failing to pressure opponents and get a result that we may have deserved. 

Its going to be a tough division this year at both ends so anything we can do to be towards the top is great and so far it looks like we are headed in the right direction.   

• Like 1

That is now 5 in so with 8 gone, thst that leaves only 3 left to be signed so, what positions would you say need strengthening?

I'd say a couple of centre halves and wing back (not sure if its left back or right back we're light on). 

Edited by CaleyTennis

Anybody else feel these guys are signing because it's the easy option. I'd rather we signed guys that want to play for caley not just because Ross county don't want them but there families are settled here!

15 minutes ago, ictbob said:

I'd rather we signed guys that want to play for caley not just because Ross county don't want them but there families are settled here!

and what better way to "get it right up ya" to Uncle Roy and Ross County, who they think dumped them unceremoniously than being motivated in doing really well for Caley Thistle!!! 

• Agree 2

All signings have reason to develop. Gardyne does not want to retire just yet. Billy will be just as keen to score now as before. McAlear has a career in front of him with an EPL club if he can develop. Duku still has a point to prove. Gardyne and Billy also add much needed experience that will benefit our really good younger talent. All good news and pleasing in the light of the lockdown mentality we have come to accept but now keen to move forward.

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, ictbob said:

Anybody else feel these guys are signing because it's the easy option. I'd rather we signed guys that want to play for caley not just because Ross county don't want them but there families are settled here!

It would appear that you are very much in the minority with such a negative view.

Personally, I am more enthused about the new season than I have been for some time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

It would appear that you are very much in the minority with such a negative view.

Personally, I am more enthused about the new season than I have been for some time.

I might be in the minority but it doesn't make my point unviable. Billy had the chance to sign in January but didn't want to step down but all of a sudden hes happy to sign for us as his family are happy here. Gardyne is a liability according to my county friends. It just feels like were signing these guys because they don't want to uproot their families not because they want to play for our club. 

26 minutes ago, ictbob said:

I might be in the minority but it doesn't make my point unviable. Billy had the chance to sign in January but didn't want to step down but all of a sudden hes happy to sign for us as his family are happy here. Gardyne is a liability according to my county friends. It just feels like were signing these guys because they don't want to uproot their families not because they want to play for our club. 

That's simply not true.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/2965213/ross-county-boss-john-hughes-reveals-caley-thistle-tried-to-bring-billy-mckay-back-to-inverness/

1 hour ago, ictbob said:

It may be the easy option but these guys are still quality players. To be honest I cant see many players signing for any team at our level because they are desperate to play for them. Manny Duku wont be signing because he saw us last year and thought he would love to play for us. He's signing because he wants to play football and we offered him that chance. All we can do is hope that any new signing comes in and gives 110% and does his best for ICT. If they do that then I'll be more than happy and have no concerns about where they came from or why they came.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Billy Dodds and the club wanted to sign up these players. It’s not as if the players ask to be signed by us. Unless they say to their agent ‘ get me a contract with ICT please. They were offered deals and they accepted so that’s just fine. 

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22
  • tm4tj pinned this topic
23 hours ago, RiG said:

He is apparently a box to box midfielder.

Not seen him play but he is a highly respected prospect. Norwich have developed some great talent over the last few years and I think this is an excellent bit of business. Highly encouraging news over the last coulee of days, well done to all involved. 

22 hours ago, ictbob said:

Your point is perfectly valid and you are absolutely entitled to it although it now seems clear that neither player was free to move to us in January. Even if they were, why, at that time, would they choose to play at a lower level for half pay or less ?

Now that they have effectively been made redundant they are choosing to move to the only other major employer in the same industry for over a hundred miles around so they don't have to disrupt their settled domestic arrangements. I am sure that the great majority of us would do the same in similar circumstances.

• Agree 3

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • tm4tj pinned this topic