ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

We can’t keep relying or expecting the return of ex players to do us a turn. It’s sometimes unreal the clamour for some of our former ‘wonders’ to come back and to reproduce their heroics!  Let’s carry on the way we do and bring on the untried potential of keen guys looking to rebuild there careers with us or young up and coming new talent. With a bit of luck that will work better than the return of Daniel Mackay or the likes.  Fair to say it’s a pity he just didn’t stay with us though a bit longer!

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

If the article is accurate, Deas is keen on the move.

If he moves, we need reinforcements urgently as that will be three out and none in this window so far, with lack of strength in defence and a dire shortage of creative players the biggest concerns. 

If there is any substance in this story it needs to be dismissed by the board straight away and demonstrate to the supporters that there is genuine belief in this years promotion push. A derisory offer from a club who could be a potential play off opponent this May.

Robbie Deas is contracted until 2023 and given his steady progress could play at a much higher level than St J .

• Agree 1

It says this is their third and final offer. With 18 months to run on his contract, he’s surely worth more than £150k so that is grounds alone for rejecting it.

My only worry if we do reject it us if he genuinely does want the move, as indicated in the article, as we don’t need an unsettled player after the Gardyne debacle. 

I'm torn between desperately wanting to keep Deas and taking the money and letting the **** go and using the £150k to strengthen. 

We probably need a left back if he goes so use that money for getting one in asap. 

We also need a winger and preferably a striker (though thats not desperately, one be signed would be a bonus) so use Tony MacDonald, thug Gardyne wages for recruiting one or two other positions.

This post could be irrelevant though if,as has been said above, the move is unlikely.

The club has tended to take the position of not standing in the way of players who want to move on and further their careers.  It is, after all, perfectly reasonable for players to want to move on to clubs playing in a higher division or paying more money.  A career playing football only lasts a few years at best and can easily end sooner than expected due to injury, so it is understandable that players will be keen to grab any opportunity they get to further their careers.

Having an unsettled player in the dressing room leads to an unsettled squad.  But another important factor here is that if the club is seen to be sympathetic to players who want to take up other opportunities, it makes it more likely that other players will be happy to come here.  If the club had a reputation of blocking players from moving when a bigger club shows interest in them, then recruitment would suddenly be a whole lot harder than it already is.  We are always going to be a club that develops players and moves them on.  The key thing for the club is that not standing in the way of players moving on must be conditional on getting a fair price for the players.

If we get £150k for Deas, I would have thought that was good business.  He's a decent player and would be missed, but he's not exactly topping the polls for POTY.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

Fingers crossed the bid has been rejected because we can't afford to loose a key player when we already have a small squad. Hopefully the speculation won't effect Deas and we have agreed to look again in the summer if we don't get promoted. I don't think any supporter would hold it against Deas if he moves on at the end of the season to the premiership.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Fingers crossed the bid has been rejected because we can't afford to loose a key player when we already have a small squad. Hopefully the speculation won't effect Deas and we have agreed to look again in the summer if we don't get promoted. I don't think any supporter would hold it against Deas if he moves on at the end of the season to the premiership.

Although, most of us hope that Deas moves on to the Premiership at the end of the season whilst remaining in Inverness.

• tm4tj pinned this topic
19 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Although, most of us hope that Deas moves on to the Premiership at the end of the season whilst remaining in Inverness.

Exactly, that's why I said we may have agreed to look at the situation again at the end of the season if we don't get promoted. 

Kilmarnock have further strengthened by signing former Aberdeen defender Ash Taylor. A player well known to Derek Mcinnes and who I suspect will do very well indeed at Championship level.

Worrying that the team that are probably our main promotion rivals have done such impressive business so early in the window, especially if the rumours about Lafferty prove to be true.

We really need to recruit now if we are not to be left in their wake.

Shane Sutherland has been served with a Notice of Complaint regarding historic gambling offences so I expect we might see him missing for a few games.

Coupled with the Allardice injury and the other departures from the squad we are in need of some serious reinforcements this month.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, RiG said:

Shane Sutherland has been served with a Notice of Complaint regarding historic gambling offences so I expect we might see him missing for a few games.

Coupled with the Allardice injury and the other departures from the squad we are in need of some serious reinforcements this month.

What's the situation with Allardice ?

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • tm4tj pinned this topic