ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

53 minutes ago, TheStickyBandit said:

I am also happy that Welsh has decided to commit to another 2 years. Hopefully some announcements regarding some fresh new players coming in are forthcoming. I just hope the club resists the urge to go back the way for signings  such as Todorov and Donaldson etc

Add a few more and there is every chance that the second year of that contract will be spent in the Premiership.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Add a few more and there is every chance that the second year of that contract will be spent in the Premiership.

Yeah I agree. The league I feel is going to be very open with not a clear favourite this season as apposed to seasons gone by where there has been a massive gaps in finances and quality of player these so other teams were able to attract. Looking forward to it already

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheStickyBandit said:

I am also happy that Welsh has decided to commit to another 2 years. Hopefully some announcements regarding some fresh new players coming in are forthcoming. I just hope the club resists the urge to go back the way for signings  such as Todorov and Donaldson etc

We've not gone back in for Toddy or Donaldson. Just lazy speculation. Also, Donaldson has signed for Falkirk. His career has really taken off since he left us. Get it right up him.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, RiG said:

We've not gone back in for Toddy or Donaldson. Just lazy speculation. Also, Donaldson has signed for Falkirk. His career has really taken off since he left us. Get it right up him.

Ah well that's good to hear that as I feared that would be the kind of players we would look to attract back to the club.

In fairness I don't mind looking back at times provided the player can still offer us something. Billy Mckay coming back has been a good move as was resigning Barry Wilson many years ago. But equally there have been others like Dennis Wyness who didn't quite hit the same heights as their original spell.

Scott Allan has been released by Hibs and I'd love to have him back at TCS but I suspect he'll head to someone like Saint Johnstone or a Dundee. 

• Agree 3

32 minutes ago, RiG said:

In fairness I don't mind looking back at times provided the player can still offer us something. Billy Mckay coming back has been a good move as was resigning Barry Wilson many years ago. But equally there have been others like Dennis Wyness who didn't quite hit the same heights as their original spell.

Scott Allan has been released by Hibs and I'd love to have him back at TCS but I suspect he'll head to someone like Saint Johnstone or a Dundee. 

Would probably have been an option if we had been promoted but almost certainly not now.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Duffy and Doran sign new one year deals. Another new contract to be announced at 2pm.

Delighted about the first. Much as he has been a wonderful servant over the years, a little ambivalent about the second.

• Agree 2

• tm4tj pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Delighted about the first. Much as he has been a wonderful servant over the years, a little ambivalent about the second.

I'm pleased about Duffy (I think he is a CB who could cover at RB], and actually think it's good news about Doran, because if he has a good pre-season and stays major injury-free for the season, I think he can still be influential. He's only 31 and he has contributed a fair few goals not so long ago.

The backbone of the squad is there and pretty decent, think we need three/maybe 4 players [as long as Deas doesn't get poached] A target man up front [to support Billy & Austin] a RB so that Carson can operate as a right winger [much like Rooney at St Johnstone]  a left winger [too much to hope we can get Chalmers back, but Pearson?] and left back who can play CB.

Good to see Sutherland being supported and hopefully we get to see him come in in 2023 and score the goal that sends us up

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, STFU said:

So we've signed a Duffy, a Duffer and a Duffed?

Great work by Billy.  The opposition will be quaking in their boots already :clapping:

That’s harsh!

I see potential in Duffy, whilst it is right to stand by Sutherland.

I understand the scepticism about Doran, and suspect he will become more of an impact player off the bench (depending on what new signings we make).

Now we have our existing squad either signed up or know they’ve moved on, I’d like to see movement on new signings.

As has been said above, I think the focus needs to be on full backs and creative players.

We had a small squad last season and whilst quality over quantity must be the objective, I feel we need a first team squad of at least 22 given we are starting without Sutherland and Walsh and with the likelihood of further injuries and suspensions.

Assuming I’ve not missed anyone, and treating Hyde and Nicolson as part of the first team squad, we have 17:

Ridgers

MacKay

Duffy

Devine

Deas

Nicolson

Harper

Carson

Allardice

Welsh

Hyde

MacGregor

Doran

Walsh

Sutherland

Samuels

Mckay

so I’d like to see another 5, either permanent signings or loans who can positively contribute. 

Edited by Robert

50 minutes ago, Robert said:

That’s harsh!

I see potential in Duffy, whilst it is right to stand by Sutherland.

I understand the scepticism about Doran, and suspect he will become more of an impact player off the bench (depending on what new signings we make).

Now we have our existing squad either signed up or know they’ve moved on, I’d like to see movement on new signings.

As has been said above, I think the focus needs to be on full backs and creative players.

We had a small squad last season and whilst quality over quantity must be the objective, I feel we need a first team squad of at least 22 given we are starting without Sutherland and Walsh and with the likelihood of further injuries and suspensions.

Assuming I’ve not missed anyone, and treating Hyde and Nicolson as part of the first team squad, we have 17:

Ridgers

MacKay

Duffy

Devine

Deas

Nicolson

Harper

Carson

Allardice

Welsh

Hyde

MacGregor

Doran

Walsh

Sutherland

Samuels

Mckay

so I’d like to see another 5, either permanent signings or loans who can positively contribute. 

There is little that this particular poster posts that is not harsh.

I struggle to think of him ever saying anything positive.

57 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

He might be related to Dougal :wink:

• Funny 2

I may sound like a broken record saying this so I apologise in advance 😛

Now that we have our squad all signed up, I'd now like some promoted from the youth squad up to the first team like we did last season with a few (I know this because it came up on my Facebook memories lol where I posted my delight at the news), perhaps guys like Ally Riddle and the 2 that were on the bench v St J at home, Mackay and Strachan.

Then we can concentrate on signings and on that, i see on p and b that we are keen to get Sam Pearson back and there was a wee hint at Regan Tumilty being our first signing 🤔.

14 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Thank you.  I note that you make no comment on the veracity of my comments, choosing to attack me, yet again, because I fail to comply with your required level of positivity.

You, sir (I assume), are a bully.  You wade in with little jibes to undermine anyone who dare have different views to you, and in doing so leave the door open for others to join the pile on.  I have witnessed you doing this with other posters on here, some of whom come across as being quite young, and you seem to have now turned your attention on me.  You come across as a sad old man, probably with a professional/managerial background, who has retired and misses the power which you once held in the workplace.  When people react to you, you then use that against them.  That is what you have done here.  My sarcastic post is a result of your previous digs at my positivity and now you use that to attack me further.

It's not nice when people make assumptions about your character from a few forum comments is it?  If you wish to disagree with me, please do, but I politely ask that you stay away from attacking my character....and I will do the same.

3 hours ago, STFU said:

Thank you.  I note that you make no comment on the veracity of my comments, choosing to attack me, yet again, because I fail to comply with your required level of positivity.

You, sir (I assume), are a bully.  You wade in with little jibes to undermine anyone who dare have different views to you, and in doing so leave the door open for others to join the pile on.  I have witnessed you doing this with other posters on here, some of whom come across as being quite young, and you seem to have now turned your attention on me.  You come across as a sad old man, probably with a professional/managerial background, who has retired and misses the power which you once held in the workplace.  When people react to you, you then use that against them.  That is what you have done here.  My sarcastic post is a result of your previous digs at my positivity and now you use that to attack me further.

It's not nice when people make assumptions about your character from a few forum comments is it?  If you wish to disagree with me, please do, but I politely ask that you stay away from attacking my character....and I will do the same.

I merely pointed out that I can't think of anything positive about the club, either on or off the pitch, that you have ever posted.

If I am mistaken, perhaps you can refer me to it and I will happily apologise.

More seriously, if you think that I have been bullying you then that is a very significant breach of site rules which I suggest you report and I, in common with any other moderator subject to such a complaint, will recluse myself from being part of consideration of it.

13 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

I may sound like a broken record saying this so I apologise in advance 😛

Now that we have our squad all signed up, I'd now like some promoted from the youth squad up to the first team like we did last season with a few (I know this because it came up on my Facebook memories lol where I posted my delight at the news), perhaps guys like Ally Riddle and the 2 that were on the bench v St J at home, Mackay and Strachan.

Then we can concentrate on signings and on that, i see on p and b that we are keen to get Sam Pearson back and there was a wee hint at Regan Tumilty being our first signing 🤔.

I say, is Tumilty a RB? Don't know anything about him. 

Agree we need Carson in midfield as he's no RB. 

Plus, I love Kingsmills (the person, not the ground) 😀

Eh what? 🧐 

6 hours ago, No Shin Guards said:

I say, is Tumilty a RB? Don't know anything about him. 

Agree we need Carson in midfield as he's no RB. 

Plus, I love Kingsmills (the person, not the ground) 😀

Eh what? 🧐 

He was first choice right back with Raith last season. I don’t recall particularly noticing him in our games against them. He spent time OTB earlier in his career. 

Would be delighted if we signed Tumilty. He was very good for Raith in 2020/21 and started last season well too; his form went off a cliff in the second half of the season with the rest of the Raith team but I thought he had a chance of a move to someone like Livingston this summer. Certainly Raith are disappointed that he is likely to leave. He's a very attack-minded full-back and would surely free up Carson to go back into midfield (FWIW I think Carson has been generally very good at RB)

It's interesting that full back is the area of our team we all feel we need to strengthen when Carson and Deas made the championship team of the year. For two guys playing in an unfamiliar position is a magnificent achievement. I agree though that I would like to see Deas at centre half with Devine and Carson pushed into midfield. Always good to know that we have more than adequate cover if needed. 

• Agree 3

Looking at the success Dundee Utd had with youth players recently and others in the past (notably Hearts), then I think we need to be bold and recruit from within.  We have adequate experience in the squad to support these lads and help them transition to the pressures of first team football.

5 hours ago, STFU said:

Looking at the success Dundee Utd had with youth players recently and others in the past (notably Hearts), then I think we need to be bold and recruit from within.  We have adequate experience in the squad to support these lads and help them transition to the pressures of first team football.

If Hyde and Nicolson are ready to be fully fledged first team players, we only have 17 players, 2 of whom have long term injuries.

I hope we have other youngsters ready to step up, such as Thomson, Riddle or Hennem, but it is a big ask for them at this stage in their careers and they are probably a year or two away from being able to hold down a place regularly. Look at how long it took the likes of Christie, Polworth, Mackay, MacGregor and Harper to become established.

I stand by my view that we are 5 players light for the new season, although quality rather than quantity must be the priority.

The club will know which players are ready.

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • tm4tj pinned this topic