ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

1 hour ago, Bobby said:

Robbie will be a big miss. I can't see Allardice staying either but hope I'm wrong. 

If he goes it will be to one of our championship competitors.

Despite all the talk of how we had a title challenging team at the start of the season it speaks volumes that many of our out of contract players could easily be retained - I don't think any have generated serious interest from a higher level.

A few will have seen what happened to MacAleer , Chalmers and  pundit in training Scott Allan after successful spells with us.

Grass is greener...

On a positive note it may be worth tying up some of our younger players on 3 year deals as next year will be a definitive year for them and we don't want to be losing them for buttons.

Edited by Satan
  • Like 1

I am sorry to see Deas move on but it was inevitable and I was surprised we still had him this season. He goes with my best wishes, except for any game he has against us!

I think Delaney was signed last summer as insurance in case we needed to replace him then so it will be interesting to see what moves we make once the overall position with the squad is clearer.

Looking at those out of contract, I hope we can retain Allardice, Devine, Duffy, Mckay and Shaw, plus all the youngsters and agree with Satan that we get the youngsters tied up on long contracts if possible.

Doran is a tricky one, as he’s been a tremendous servant but it looks like his best years are behind him.

Sutherland and Walsh are also tricky. We stood by them and hopefully they are close to fitness. Sutherland was excellent most of last season whilst we only saw glimpses of Walsh. On balance, I’d offer Sutherland a new deal. 

Edited by Robert

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Sutherland and Walsh are also tricky. We stood by them and hopefully they are close to fitness. Sutherland was excellent most of last season whilst we only saw glimpses of Walsh. On balance, I’d offer Sutherland a new deal. 

If we think that they will be able to contribute, then sign them both.  They are not going to be getting offers from elsewhere, and so won't be making extravagant demands.

If I had to choose, I'd go for Walsh, principally because he's six years younger than Sutherland.

When Walsh was on the podcast a couple of months ago, the setbacks and lack of progress after a year was all very disheartening, it left me thinking that his career was over. Hopefully it’s not, but it didn’t sound like he’ll be able to even start light training any time soon. 

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

When Walsh was on the podcast a couple of months ago, the setbacks and lack of progress after a year was all very disheartening, it left me thinking that his career was over. Hopefully it’s not, but it didn’t sound like he’ll be able to even start light training any time soon. 

That was my impression too. Fair play to him for being so upbeat - if that was me I’d be sticking my head in the oven…

Edited by TheMantis

With Robbie gone, and Allardice 70% away for me, seeing some league predictions on Twitter is a really disheartening…

With two of the best players out the door, and the club openly likely to struggle financially to some extent next season, I’m finding it difficult to see where the big names will come from to take up.

We should undoubtedly be challenging in this league, and the cup final was a fantastic performance - but achieving on a consistent basis was a struggle this season…

Now that we know the makeup of the 2023/24 Scottish Championship, I think we can agree, what was already known, that last season was one of our best chances to get promoted back to the Premier league. The lineup from last season certainly gave us a fighting chance, but one that failed to reach the predictions of a lot of posters on this forum, me included. Not only did we fail to make the playoffs, it was the style of play that was disappointing, I really can't remember being really excited and entertained by many games, probably only the Scottish Cup win against Kilmarnock being the exception, as I only attended home matches.

As we now look to the next season, it makes me wonder how we are going to fair with the likes of Dundee United, Dunfermline, Partick, Ayr, Queens Park and Morton, all going well, and a lot of them have had money pumped into them, and all of them have the luxury, in football recruiting terms, of being in the right place to pick up new players. Then add in Airdrie, Arbroath and Raith, and the league does look a lot harder to win next season.

My hope now, that it looks like we are going to lose some of our best players for nothing, is that our younger players from our youth set up can step up and stake places in the first team. It's time to get back to a settled squad, instead of continually having to rebuild every season. It wasn't always like this, when we had the likes of the Shinnies, Warren, Draper, Raven, Meekings and Foran, we had a settled team with one or two added every season, now, it seems like a major overhaul every year. It would also be good if we could sell a player now and again, instead of letting our best talent leave for nothing.

Our hope now is for an injury free season, with the likes of Macgregor, Harper, Hyde, Nicolson and others, consolidating a first team berth, and if they impress, and are sought by other teams, we get a fee for them. Let's be a selling team, if we have to, and not a 'leaving for nothing team', that we have been for several seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Wallace Duffy is set to stay at Inverness

from P&J

The 24-year-old said: “I’m still around next season, I’ve got another year with the club and I’m looking forward to it.

“I know there will be a bit of a rebuild with players coming and going.

“But we’ve got a good group and a good crop of young players who have gained a lot of experience this season and been thrown in at the deep end at times when we had a lot of injuries this season.

“I’m excited to see what we can do next season.”

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

It is good that Duffy is staying. He’s come on a lot in his time with us, both when playing full back and centre half.

For me, he should get a run at right back to let Carson be influential in midfield, but I suppose it will depend on our squad next season, particularly on whether we still have Allardice and Devine. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Robert said:

It is good that Duffy is staying. He’s come on a lot in his time with us, both when playing full back and centre half.

For me, he should get a run at right back to let Carson be influential in midfield, but I suppose it will depend on our squad next season, particularly on whether we still have Allardice and Devine. 

Yes I agree as Carson is far more effective in midfield although he always gives 100% wherever he plays.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bobby said:

I see Jamie Carnihan has signed for Nairn County. I'm surprised that the club released him. He represented Scotland school boys and showed up well. 

So has another of our youth team, goalie Lewis Munro.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/5815117/nairn-county-swoop-for-caley-thistle-duo/

Edited by Robert

Given we’ve announced the departures of Deas, Boyd and Woods, does that mean that talks are ongoing with the others that are out of contract, but that no deals have been concluded yet?

If so, there is hope that we can retain the likes of Allardice, Devine, Mckay and Shaw. 

9 minutes ago, Robert said:

Given we’ve announced the departures of Deas, Boyd and Woods, does that mean that talks are ongoing with the others that are out of contract, but that no deals have been concluded yet?

If so, there is hope that we can retain the likes of Allardice, Devine, Mckay and Shaw. 

I thought Shaw was still under contract for next season?

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I thought Shaw was still under contract for next season?

No out of contract.  I hope we get a few to resign soon as we don't have many signed up at the moment.

Squad.png

Oh dear - I do hope ICT get their act in gear and get many of our first team players this year signed up ASAP.  Otherwise I can see many season ticket renewals being delayed due to uncertainty of the ICT team for forthcoming season.   Get it sorted NOW 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBM said:

No out of contract.  I hope we get a few to resign soon as we don't have many signed up at the moment.

Squad.png

Not sure where that’s from but thought I saw Duffy in paper saying he’s contracted till 24? 

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic