ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

I agree that Broadfoot is hardly an inspiring signing but he is a seasoned professional who played over 30 times in the Premiership last season.

We have a very limited budget for players so, if KB is prepared to come within it, then it seems to me to be a decent signing provided it is on a one year deal.

It's not confined yet but, if he does come, don't condemn the lad before he's even kicked a single ball for us or pulled on that rather meh new home shirt.

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 2

I think thats a brilliant signing. We needed cover for a centre half and someone with loads of experience - can you imagine how much Duffy, Harper and Deas (all just about 20/21 years old) as well as Nicolson and Fyffe can learn from him. That's a great looking squad now. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Not a bad signing , but he's not going to be cover, he's going to be starting more often than not.

Only question is whether it is at centre, or right back, where he played a lot for Rangers.

If it's on the right it will free up Carson.

Edited by Satan

1 hour ago, FrontRow said:

I think thats a brilliant signing. We needed cover for a centre half and someone with loads of experience - can you imagine how much Duffy, Harper and Deas (all just about 20/21 years old) as well as Nicolson and Fyffe can learn from him. That's a great looking squad now. 

Maybe one more defender and we undoubtedly have a squad which, competently coached and managed, is capable of challenging for promotion.

38 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Was Duncan Shearer not our last Scottish International to play for the club?

Kevin McNaughton played four times for Scotland so will be a more recent example. 

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Sensible signing. The team appears more balanced this season with regard to age and experience. 

I tend to agree here. You need some veterans in your team to balance out the youth. They may not have the speed or mobility of the youngsters, but they have the match experience and the smarts to grind out results, and both are needed over the course of a season. They can also help mentor those kids on the pitch and in training so they develop their own smarts. 

I see it all the time over here .... Beckham was 30+ when he played for LA Galaxy and his vision on the pitch was actually pretty amazing. Same with Thierry Henry, Wayne Rooney, Kaka, etc. .... and just look at Ibrahimovic ... he came to MLS, lit it up for a couple of seasons (I was witness to his 500th career goal - which was against Toronto in front of my section) and then went back to Serie A .... He's about 85 now - or seems that way - but still puts some of the young kids to shame - mostly because he doesnt need to run, he just knows where to be after years of experience and game smarts. 

Now, Gardyne and Broadfoot are not exactly Beckham and Ibrahimovic but the principle still applies in my mind. The old adage is that "if you are good enough, you are old enough" when talking about young players ... I would say that the other side of that coin is that "if you are good enough, you are not too old" ..... but (father) time will tell if that proves correct for us this season .... ever hopeful though. 

• Agree 2

Jury is out on this one. Experience yes, but then I look at the other clubs around us and see their younger signings that I suspect will give him the run around. I hope to be proven wrong and it is indeed an inspired signing. Time will tell.

My other worry is building a squad with one year contracts in the hope of promotion doesn't bode well. If we do get promoted then we will be rebuilding again and trying to do that whilst trying to stay in the Prem. It feels a bit short sighted. Don't think we would survive a yo-yo two seasons.

2 hours ago, caleyboy said:

Was Duncan Shearer not our last Scottish International to play for the club?

Andrew Shinnie was significantly later and the only player, so far, to have a full Scotland cap while actually playing for the club.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Jockdoonsouth said:

Jury is out on this one. Experience yes, but then I look at the other clubs around us and see their younger signings that I suspect will give him the run around. I hope to be proven wrong and it is indeed an inspired signing. Time will tell.

My other worry is building a squad with one year contracts in the hope of promotion doesn't bode well. If we do get promoted then we will be rebuilding again and trying to do that whilst trying to stay in the Prem. It feels a bit short sighted. Don't think we would survive a yo-yo two seasons.

It's one player on a one year deal and, for someone of his age, that seems sensible. Haven't seen anything about club going down the short term contract route again so not sure why you feel this is a concern. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Huisdean said:

It's one player on a one year deal and, for someone of his age, that seems sensible. Haven't seen anything about club going down the short term contract route again so not sure why you feel this is a concern. 

We have done it with Gardyne as well haven't we? With Doran and others on short contracts it is a genuine concern. 

1 minute ago, Jockdoonsouth said:

We have done it with Gardyne as well haven't we? With Doran and others on short contracts it is a genuine concern. 

It would be far more of a concern if we were giving players of that age longer contracts.

• Agree 1

Is it just me or is this a somewhat stupid move. To be fair, I've no seen him play, but when the rumours of it started flying, nigh on every comment under the tweet of his (then) alleged shortlisting, was negative and nothing but. Rather we looked at loaning in a youth prospect from elsewhere and give him experience, but I suppose it's all down to who we can get our hands on...

Let’s see how he does before criticising the move.

Other than Devine, our defenders are all youngsters, so it makes sense to bring in an experienced player.

Hopefully he helps to develop Duffy, Deas, Harper, Nicolson and Fyffe and, who knows, Nicolson or Fyffe may well be ready to be a straight replacement in a year’s time. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jack Waddington said:

Is it just me or is this a somewhat stupid move. To be fair, I've no seen him play, but when the rumours of it started flying, nigh on every comment under the tweet of his (then) alleged shortlisting, was negative and nothing but. Rather we looked at loaning in a youth prospect from elsewhere and give him experience, but I suppose it's all down to who we can get our hands on...

It's just you Jack :lol:

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

It would be far more of a concern if we were giving players of that age longer contracts.

Surely it has to be better to recruit younger players with experience who have longevity within our team? There is no room for settling a team in the SPL as you hit the ground running!

12 hours ago, IBM said:

It's just you Jack :lol:

I'm of the same opinion Jack. What we need to do is start to believe we will be back in the SPL next season and build the squad ready for that. Not try to do it and settle the team in 3 games once we get there. I reckon Kirky boy is trying to extend his career one more year but is only playing for the money and not the badge! Not a great signing - even his interview showed he wasn't that bothered. Complete disaster in the making!

Edited by Jockdoonsouth

6 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Brad Mackay was a regular in team so, to me,  Kirk Broadfoot is like signing Beckenbauer. 

Thing is Brad, albeit a car crash, was at least playing for the shirt ... Kirk is hanging onto his career for one more year and the money. In his interview he really didn't seem that bothered. 

1 hour ago, Jockdoonsouth said:

Thing is Brad, albeit a car crash, was at least playing for the shirt ... Kirk is hanging onto his career for one more year and the money. In his interview he really didn't seem that bothered. 

Some assumptions being made here! Kirk hasn’t kicked a ball for the club and already isn’t playing for the shirt! 

Amazes me how negative some of our Fanbase is, remember Kevin McNaughton? Joined us at the end of his career and when he played his influence and experience was unbelievable to see on the pitch (Albeit ending in relegation) - why can’t Kirk Broadfoot be the same?  The man has played in a UEFA Cup final, played in the championship in England and is now with us and I have no doubt will bring some much needed and missed experience.   We've beaten other clubs to his signing - we shoudl be proud of that not disappointed because of his age or 'how bothered he sounds in an interview'

If you back the manager back his signings too. Who’s to say another defender won’t be joining us soon too…..

Edited by jamie ictfc
  • Agree 4

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • tm4tj pinned this topic