ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

Err, not trying to sound impatient or anything, but are we actually going to sign anyone else? By now, we're a week or so away from when the League Cup was due to begin...and have only made one signing to six departures. Meanwhile other Championship sides are barrelling through signing guys, we waiting til we're closer til we're supposed to be kicking off or what?

35 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Season doesn’t start for 2 or 3 months, don’t panic. Paying additional players to do nothing in that time isn’t a good use of the budget.

Absolutely but let us hope that discussions are going on right now with players and their agents with arrangements to bring some on board in late August for pre season training rather than scrambling about for recruits at the last minute when many other clubs will be doing the same.

2 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Err, not trying to sound impatient or anything, but are we actually going to sign anyone else? By now, we're a week or so away from when the League Cup was due to begin...and have only made one signing to six departures. Meanwhile other Championship sides are barrelling through signing guys, we waiting til we're closer til we're supposed to be kicking off or what?

The only team in the league making any real signings is Dunfermline and that's because they sold Nisbet to Hibs. Everyone else seems to be very cautious and I think we are hedging our bets to see what league we might be in. I seem to recall Gardiner saying something along those lines?

Anyway, we are in a better position than someone like QotS who have three players signed up for the coming campaign.

What happens with the transfer window this summer: is it as normal given the top league starts on 1 August?

Probably irrelevant to us as we will be looking at players out of contract, but we may lose the odd one of the 16 remaining in our first team squad to a higher league club. 

28 minutes ago, Robert said:

What happens with the transfer window this summer: is it as normal given the top league starts on 1 August?

Probably irrelevant to us as we will be looking at players out of contract, but we may lose the odd one of the 16 remaining in our first team squad to a higher league club. 

As things stand the window opened on 10 June and runs until 1 September.

17 hours ago, RiG said:

As things stand the window opened on 10 June and runs until 1 September.

With the Championship not starting until October, I would expect that to be extended. However, with so many players out of contract and therefore able to sign at any time, the transfer window is almost irrelevant this season.

Jack I thought Scott Gardiner had made a great point about furlough in his podcast.

I thought he said he put all exiting players  on furlough until october but available to other clubs.  Same for our youth players? 

As such it would be silly to sign any player from any club currently furlough.

I took the conversation to mean that players would be signed at end of furlough. And I thought that might include J Brown and Ryan Fyffe or some of the other youngsters. But caley were not going to restrict these players options if someone else came in for them. 

Have I got this wrong? 

On 7/11/2020 at 1:04 PM, RiG said:

The only team in the league making any real signings is Dunfermline and that's because they sold Nisbet to Hibs. Everyone else seems to be very cautious and I think we are hedging our bets to see what league we might be in. I seem to recall Gardiner saying something along those lines?

Anyway, we are in a better position than someone like QotS who have three players signed up for the coming campaign.

Indeed. By my reckoning, Dunfermline still have fewer players aged over 21 (12) than us (13). And yes, Queen of the South have just three players. Ayr, Morton and Raith are still furloughing their squads but I expect a lot of players to leave the former two clubs at the end of July. 

We are starting from a pretty okay position, at least in terms of numbers.

This is definitely going to be a buyers market. There will be a lot of free agents who will have to accept much cheaper contracts this season than they normally would have done. The loan market is also going to be important, especially if they cancel the reserve league this year and Premiership clubs need to find somewhere for their youngsters to play.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:40 AM, Kingsmills said:

With the Championship not starting until October, I would expect that to be extended. However, with so many players out of contract and therefore able to sign at any time, the transfer window is almost irrelevant this season.

Some of us anticipated as much.😁

I, and many others, felt that Carl had at least another year in him at ICT.    Very sorry he wasn’t given another contract.  Wishing him a great year at County.  

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I can't lie, I hope he does what Draper,Mackay, & Vigurs did...relegate them!

No hard feelings of course, at least he'll still be spending big Roy's bucks in the big city along with some of the other traitors. 

• Agree 1

Absolute no brainer move for Tremarco. He'll likely get paid more at County (even as a squad player), he doesn't have to move his family, he gets to play at a higher level and he gets to keep doing his football coaching gig that he's started up. The bigger issue for me is why we felt he wasn't worthy of any contract offer whatsoever.

Robbo took three years to assemble a really decent team capable of (potentially) getting us promoted only for it to grind to a halt with COVID-19 and then be pulled apart. It's going to be a hell of a task for him to do it all over again. Our entire defence, arguably one of the best in the league last season, is now gone. In its place Harper, McHattie, Toshney and Mckay. Jesus wept.

Our defence ,arguably or not the best last season didnt get us close to united. The championship isn't won with best defences , it's the Shanklands or Mackays that rattle the goals in that win this league. 

Maybe Shane can give us something we've badly lacked for years - someone who can convert the multitude of chances we created.

Tired of the tat we've had up front recently. Brothels and fistfuls of tenners springs to mind.

• Agree 1

Don't disagree that having a goal getter makes more of a difference to a sides promotion hopes however the chances of us signing a proven one is difficult. We really need to stumble on a diamond in the rough to address that. Also, last season we conceded quite a few late goals (IIRC) which cost us valuable points in games so having a tighter defence helps address that so in the absence of this goal getter we crave we perhaps dig out more 1- 0 wins rather than 1 - 1 draws.

Obviously if we could have both a strong backline and a free scoring forward (or two) I wouldn't complain...

• Agree 1

For those not wishing Carl well, I ask them what they would do if they were sacked by their employer and were offered employment at an even higher level by the only other similar employer in the area that didn't necessitate moving yourself and your young family ?

Good luck Carl and thanks for your efforts and loyalty over the years.

• Agree 7

I take it you mean me?

In case you haven't noticed football is kind of different...he wasn't sacked, and now is employed by someone else...why would I want him to do well at County - why would I want anyone to do well at County, particularly our ex captain or any of our exes - do you secretly support County?

Don't you get the rivalry  involved in the game?

Yes Carl , thanks for the efforts, but don't talk about loyalty over the years - what does that even mean?

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/
  • tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • tm4tj pinned this topic
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic