ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

Robbo said he was still hoping to add a right back, is Devine that guy or could we see a more natural right back still come in. At the moment I guess we are looking at McKay or Devine playing there. Did Devine play right back when he was here before? 

Always want to give players a chance but disappointed is my initial reaction. He seemed decent when covering for meekings or Warren to begin with but we he got longer stints in the team he looked lost. He has hardly shone for partick or pars and has been released from them. My biggest issue is the lack of leadership/communicators at the back, from what I remember, Devine didn't do much organising. Mchattie seems quiet, Brad is more worried about his hair and not seen enough from toshney. Hopefully deas has that skillset because it can cost teams so many goals if not (see Sevilla 2nd goal last night). 

• Agree 3

Pretty underwhelming signing tbh. He'll probably do okay but we will no doubt be seeing a few clangers over the course of the season. 

Thought we may have tried a loan deal for an experienced cb  or even rb. 

Still think this is a good option for a midfielder or forward who can do themselves and us a turn for a year.

Here's hoping JR can still pull us a few winners from the lucky dip of the free transfer market.

From a business point of view ICT as a company wants to survive through the pandemic. However, income streams will be reduced and who knows when supporters will be allowed back into stadia. So the signing of Devine is a good piece of business. He is an experienced player and like all players will have made mistakes. He is a good buddy of Aaron's and will be known to other players such as James Vincent. He knows the club and should settle back into Inverness very quickly. He can play in a couple of positions in the back four and could have played for Northern Ireland if he had not switched allegiance to the south. So another positive signing for what will be a most unusual and uncharted season. 

• Agree 3

He also fits our budget in that he is available for nothing and we can pay him slightly more than nothing to sign for us. I don't think he is very good but the reaction to this signing is a bit OTT. I'd probably have him as our third choice CB behind Deas and McHattie. 

We need to see how pairings develop, But fitness permitting I’d go with Toshney and Deas with Devine and McHattie as cover. 

If we have a right back by then, Mckay comes into the mix too but I’d stick with Toshney and Deas. 

It will be interesting to see who is preferred at left back, McHattie or Harper.

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how McHattie did at centre half in the latter part of last season, and he seemed calm and unflappable. As a result, I suspect he may get the nod ahead of Harper, at least initially. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Devines not an inspiring signing but he's no that always done his best when called upon last time! Surely Robbo now will look at the area that most needed sorted up front 

I disagree with the last sentence Alan which I don't normally do when it comes to your posts lol.  The most needed area needing strengthened is RB, then imho we are finished in the transfer market. 

We will likely only play one up front this season again so that will be one from: Todorov, Keatings, Storey, Sutherland or Mackay so we don't need 5 unhappy strikers (to be left on the bench or reserves altogether), unless Daniel goes on loan again. 

We have strength in depth in all positions apart from RB so, imho, and most posters on here (that's a first, people agreeing with me on here 😂) will believe that RB is "the area needing strengthened as a priority. 

• Agree 3

16 hours ago, Robert said:

We need to see how pairings develop, But fitness permitting I’d go with Toshney and Deas with Devine and McHattie as cover. 

If we have a right back by then, Mckay comes into the mix too but I’d stick with Toshney and Deas. 

It will be interesting to see who is preferred at left back, McHattie or Harper.

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how McHattie did at centre half in the latter part of last season, and he seemed calm and unflappable. As a result, I suspect he may get the nod ahead of Harper, at least initially. 

I very much agree with your last sentence about McHattie, and in an ideal world paired with Toshney could be a great pairing. Caley seem to have a knack of finding good CB pairings.

In terms of full backs, I think wistfully that Seedorf and Calder had the makings of an excellent full back pairing given time (somewhat unfortunate that Calder was involved in a court case that saw him leave us), certainly they were speedy and had some skill.

18 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

I disagree with the last sentence Alan which I don't normally do when it comes to your posts lol.  The most needed area needing strengthened is RB, then imho we are finished in the transfer market. 

We will likely only play one up front this season again so that will be one from: Todorov, Keatings, Storey, Sutherland or Mackay so we don't need 5 unhappy strikers (to be left on the bench or reserves altogether), unless Daniel goes on loan again. 

We have strength in depth in all positions apart from RB so, imho, and most posters on here (that's a first, people agreeing with me on here 😂) will believe that RB is "the area needing strengthened as a priority. 

I thought we'd have went in for Foster from County I think he'd of been an upgrade on Tremarco tbh but na never happened! I hope Robbo changes the whole system up top just doesn't work none of our strikers are good enough to hold up play and bring midfielders in to the game last season Imo we were brutal at times up front I dunno if Sutherland will have the minerals to score at this level hope so need a bit width in the team as well to play the way Robbocop wants but wev also nobody gd enough wide I think the defence will be solid nxt season Devine will shock people I think hel be good iv the same worries since Robbo came lack of goals and somebody to create no had a schemer since Polly

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

I thought we'd have went in for Foster from County I think he'd of been an upgrade on Tremarco tbh but na never happened! I hope Robbo changes the whole system up top just doesn't work none of our strikers are good enough to hold up play and bring midfielders in to the game last season Imo we were brutal at times up front I dunno if Sutherland will have the minerals to score at this level hope so need a bit width in the team as well to play the way Robbocop wants but wev also nobody gd enough wide I think the defence will be solid nxt season Devine will shock people I think hel be good iv the same worries since Robbo came lack of goals and somebody to create no had a schemer since Polly

He has signed for Partick Thistle who have a lot more money to throw around!

9 hours ago, Robert said:

And his mrs is based down there, Amy MacDonald, whilst we already have two right backs. 

Sorry for the confusion, that should have been two left backs, McHattie and Harper, so we don’t need another (in response to the suggestion that we should have signed Foster to replace Tremarco). 

As I have said before, I see our priority as finding a right back. 

Edited by Robert

9 hours ago, Yngwie said:

If we need a right back, my Saints supporting mate is offering to drive Shaun Rooney up the A9 for us.

Safe to say he's not exactly covered himself in glory so far but he was pretty ropey when he started for us. 

I see on the BBC player rater for last night’s game he scored just 3.07, the lowest of any player, just a few days after being at fault for the decisive goal. He will do better if he gets the chance, but even at his best with us his main quality was in driving forward rather than being a particularly solid defender.

3 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

I see on the BBC player rater for last night’s game he scored just 3.07, the lowest of any player, just a few days after being at fault for the decisive goal. He will do better if he gets the chance, but even at his best with us his main quality was in driving forward rather than being a particularly solid defender.

TBF anyone playing that game getting over 4 would probably be doing well. It was utterly horrendous.

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/
  • tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • tm4tj pinned this topic
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic