ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/

tm4tj

12 minutes ago, forresjags said:

If this was any other business we would have folded years ago, losing your best assets to your rivals for below their worth is suicide. 

Ironically we would've folded the year we sold Ross Draper...if we hadn't sold one of our best assets for less than he was supposed to be worth.

Suicidal. 

We cannot continually complain about our financial situation when for the last 25 years the best income we generated was £500k for Ryan Christie .Other than that I'm struggling, to name any others.

That is no way  a good return on the top players that have left us over the years.

Appreciate good contracts cost money ,but longer term they may have reaped the rewards in a decent transfer fee coming back into the club.

• Agree 2

What we need to do is have a conveyor belt of young talent coming through that is first team/premier league standard (like polworth, Ross) if you class Christie as international standard, then you can expect a decent fee for producing such a player. It’s not going to happen constantly but rearing our own for the first team is.

Edited by iwannabeadored

Think our best bets for any transfer income, are probably Roddy and MacKay. Sold off any chance of extra income before the summer when we ditched our promising youth players and let them go on frees to the Highland League, with Matheus Machado being the only one benefiting and going off to Liga NOS in Portugal.

Think we need to be winning games before any of the current players would then see interest from other clubs and right now none are really standing out but if we get a run between now and end of season that might change .

From BBC today

Ross County manager John Hughes says Inverness Caledonian Thistle tried to re-sign striker Billy Mckay in January. (Press and Journal - subscription required)

Would it have made a difference - perhaps; but last time BM came back he wasnt as prolific as his first stint, so while it may be seen by some as a coup through rose tinted specs I'm not sure being older ad having a team with less creative talent we would have got much more than a frustrated figure cast alone up front begging for decent service. Least it shows for those moaning the club have actually try - but we will assume the fund that would have taken are now going to paying McCann.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Agreed. No point signing a striker if we can't get the ball to him. It's creativeness and the desire to win that we so desperately need.

I appreciate a few on here had issues with Liam Polworth, for reason's I can't quite fathom, and that he obviously secured a better package going to Motherwell, but I do rather think we miss him.

But I've seen MacGregor, Allardice and Carson do good stuff from midfield, and of course Doran, no reason to think creativity is beyond them

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to the P&J, he is 17 and has only played once for Rangers Colts:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/2992282/caley-thistle-sign-rangers-winger-aaron-lyall-on-loan-until-end-of-the-season/amp/

Not sure how much we can expect of him as a result but he does give us another option at a time we are lacking pacy wide players, most likely off the bench judging by this:

https://ictfc.com/aaron-lyall-signs-for-ictfc-on-loan

Does it mean we are unlikely to see much, or anything, if Doran or McDonald in the remaining weeks of the season 

Edited by Robert

10 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Wonder what the difference is between him and Kai. Unless the lad has family up here, I wouldn't see anyone of that age typically moving so far especially when they can't go home and visit family when they're not playing or training...

I was wondering exactly the same thing. Home sickness should not be underestimated in such a young lad. But, it may not be relevant, as somehow I can't see him being a regular in the starting X1 in these final few weeks of the season.

50 minutes ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

I was wondering exactly the same thing. Home sickness should not be underestimated in such a young lad. But, it may not be relevant, as somehow I can't see him being a regular in the starting X1 in these final few weeks of the season.

Mind you given that it will be just for a few weeks, it should be more of an adventure for the young lad, especially as the clock goes forward and the weather gets warmer [All these things make a difference to how one feels IMHO] and restrictions are starting to ease. He'll be joining a team that is already playing youngsters not that much older than he is, and hopefully he'll get a few minutes of game time, which must be a plus for him. I'm sure  they have thought about where he is staying during this time. Maybe more of a plus for him than us, but if he comes on late in a game and swings in a ball that leads to goal that gets us into the play-offs it's a win-win all round. I'm sure he will have spoken to Kennedy about us, can't be anything but positive [it's quite warm in David Carson's pocket]

• Agree 3

Overall it's got to be a good thing, but one of the questions you need to ask is "what do Rangers get out of it?"
Don't know if ' Development Loans' are still a thing (when I was helping out at Whitehill we got a left back, Scott Gray, from Rangers, on a Development Loan. Since it was only tier 5 he was able to slot straight into the team).

So from a Rangers PoV, if he gets bench time plus a few sub appearances then that gives him more competitive experience than he's had so far. From our PoV we get a possible impact sub (maybe even getting some game time tonight at Buckie?) but I'm struggling to see what else. He's a couple of years younger than Kai and less experienced, but McCann will be the judge of what to do with him.

Always a worry for me when we take on a youngster from another team - a slap in the face for our own young players as someone jumps the queue on then, so to speak.

Is there really that much difference in ability / skill at thisstage on their careers? 

We'll have a moan next season about our own youths are inexperienced,  whilst we've been bringing players in to ensure we don't have to play them.

It's only a slap in the face if we have a promising youngster who can play in the position that Lyall can play and is as good or better than him. I don't know if we do have a promising youngster who can play on the wings. Someone with better knowledge of the youths can surely advise.

• Agree 1

Not a great surprise given the issues he has had with injuries in all his time here. When he did play last season he looked a decent defender, so hopefully he finds a club somewhere.

However, it is another example of the challenges some players are facing being away from their families during the pandemic.

Looking forward, given our current managerial position, I wonder who will be scouting for replacements for those we will inevitably lose in the summer.

Does anyone have a list of known contract expiry dates?

Edited by Robert

• tm4tj changed the title to ICTFC Squad Update 21/22/23/
  • tm4tj pinned this topic
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic