The season ahead

tm4tj

Robbie Neilson has quit Dundee United to sign a three year deal to take over at Hearts.

Given his recent knowledge of the division, that is going to make the Jambos an even more formidable force in the Championship next season where, notwithstanding their court action, they will almost certainly be joining us.

24 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Robbie Neilson has quit Dundee United to sign a three year deal to take over at Hearts.

Given his recent knowledge of the division, that is going to make the Jambos an even more formidable force in the Championship next season where, notwithstanding their court action, they will almost certainly be joining us.

You bet me to it I just posted it in UK football.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:28 PM, Jack Waddington said:

One question I have about the whole thing is that since Hearts and Partick are going to court in an attempt to get their relegations overruled, if they're successful, would that mean there would be no promotion or relegation, or would it force through reconstruction?

Can't see how the season can start until the court case is settled, if the courts come out on the side of hearts then they will remain in the prem but will not have played any games in it. I also wouldn't put it past the government to call a second lock down if the CV flares up again.

47 minutes ago, Stirling Observer said:

Think Wednesday is the deadline for spfl response. Suspect a compensation agreement may be on its way (hence Hearts splashing the cash a bit)

In that case, can we too have some cash to splash to compensate for losing out on potential promotion via the play offs?

9 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Republic of Ireland got £4m from FIFA to back down after threatening legal action, after a poor refereeing decision allowed France a goal in their World Cup playoff. 

May have also been something to do with suddenly seeding the play offs when Portugal/France looked like they may not qualify and so gave them an easier chance to qualify instead of the potential to play each other which it had been before then haha

15 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

In that case, can we too have some cash to splash to compensate for losing out on potential promotion via the play offs?

If they did pay out any compensation it would surely set a precedent to open up valid claims like this from every division, including Brora and Kelty. So on that basis I can't see it happening.

Easy way for the SPFL to avoid such a can of worms is to rethink and propose a 14-10-10-10 setup to their self-obsessed members.

37 minutes ago, CaleyCanary said:

If they did pay out any compensation it would surely set a precedent to open up valid claims like this from every division, including Brora and Kelty. So on that basis I can't see it happening.

Easy way for the SPFL to avoid such a can of worms is to rethink and propose a 14-10-10-10 setup to their self-obsessed members.

It won't happen. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I posted that.

Tongue may be firmly in cheek but its a valid point and symptomatic of the cluster**** that is the SPFL management .... the whole thing leaves the SPFL wide open to litigation if people had the stomach (and finances) for it ... you relegate teams based on partial season points ... potential litigation from 3 teams. You decide not to promote teams from lower divisions - potential litigation from 3 more teams. You deny entry to the league for two teams who could get there - 2 more sets of potential litigation ... and finally, however unlikely, and harder to quantify, teams in playoff spots in all 3 divisions could make a case that they have lost out on an opportunity for promotion and the associated financial windfall it would bring to them based on the decisions of the SPFL .... You bully your wayto retain the status quo and everyone feels just a little cheated and that we lost an opportunity. 

Amazingly, allowing 14-10-10-10 would take away all those litigation criteria in one fell swoop yet it is basically not considered because increasing the Premiership from 12 to 14 would reduce prize money a fraction ... probably not even enough to buy some new silks for the QCs involved let alone the cost of any action itself !!  If they had come out with this at the start they could have looked progressive, forward thinking and mindful of making sure their members were not disadvantaged during this crisis. 

Maybe those in charge of the North Caledonian League who just made a quick and decisive change to their own format should act as consultants to the SPFL !! 

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Scotty said:

... you relegate teams based on partial season points ... potential litigation from 3 teams. You decide not to promote teams from lower divisions - potential litigation from 3 more teams. You deny entry to the league for two teams who could get there - 2 more sets of potential litigation ... and finally, however unlikely, and harder to quantify, teams in playoff spots in all 3 divisions could make a case that they have lost out on an opportunity for promotion and the associated financial windfall it would bring to them based on the decisions of the SPFL ....

Which is why I said at the start - and still do - that declaring the season null and void was the logical thing to do.  No promotion, no relegation.  Prize money could be problematic - split it equally in a division, and teams at the top will moan, split it according to place (or points-per-game) at suspension, and teams at the bottom will moan. But nothing insurmountable.  Qualification for Europe could have been based on position - that doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

14-10-10-10 is a reasonable alternative, but, as I suspected, once the Central Belt numpties find out where Brora actually is, they are not so keen.

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, Robert said:

Season ticket details confirmed:

https://ictfc.com/season-ticket-update-3

Time now to focus on the truncated season ahead.

The action by Hearts and Partick will ultimately fail but may, in the meantime, sufficiently divert those at Tynecastle from preparing for the actual football to give the other teams an early advantage.

Hearts may take a while, as teams often do  to adjust to relegation which could be all the more significant in the shortened 27 game format and, if they are at least partly diverted by events off the field, that may reduce the financial advantage they have over the rest of the division.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

Tongue may be firmly in cheek but its a valid point and symptomatic of the cluster**** that is the SPFL management .... the whole thing leaves the SPFL wide open to litigation if people had the stomach (and finances) for it ... you relegate teams based on partial season points ... potential litigation from 3 teams. You decide not to promote teams from lower divisions - potential litigation from 3 more teams. You deny entry to the league for two teams who could get there - 2 more sets of potential litigation ... and finally, however unlikely, and harder to quantify, teams in playoff spots in all 3 divisions could make a case that they have lost out on an opportunity for promotion and the associated financial windfall it would bring to them based on the decisions of the SPFL .... You bully your wayto retain the status quo and everyone feels just a little cheated and that we lost an opportunity. 

Amazingly, allowing 14-10-10-10 would take away all those litigation criteria in one fell swoop yet it is basically not considered because increasing the Premiership from 12 to 14 would reduce prize money a fraction ... probably not even enough to buy some new silks for the QCs involved let alone the cost of any action itself !!  If they had come out with this at the start they could have looked progressive, forward thinking and mindful of making sure their members were not disadvantaged during this crisis. 

Maybe those in charge of the North Caledonian League who just made a quick and decisive change to their own format should act as consultants to the SPFL !! 

The thing that makes it worse is that the SPFL lined up the extra payments to Brora and Kelty but reducing Celtic and Rangers's cut (1st/2nd) by 0.02 or something minute like that so the actual arguement from lower clubs that another two mouths to feed is pretty poor when it was coming from the old firm which i think Celtic voted for.  

Going to throw this one out here and I know not everyone could afford it but instead of paying the full price for the reduced season and donating the short fall from last season's price why not buy 2 season tickets or 1 plus a kids ticket at the reduced price and when were allowed back give it to a friend or kid that NEVER goes in the hope they may buy one the following season.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ictbob said:

Going to throw this one out here and I know not everyone could afford it but instead of paying the full price for the reduced season and donating the short fall from last season's price why not buy 2 season tickets or 1 plus a kids ticket at the reduced price and when were allowed back give it to a friend or kid that NEVER goes in the hope they may buy one the following season.

It's an interesting idea...since I live in South London, I was thinking about donating a season ticket, not quite sure how to do this or in what way, probably need to discuss with Ticket office

14 hours ago, ictbob said:

Great idea. Maybe even donate to a local charity who may be able to give the ticket to a family who are not otherwise able to afford to go to the football or do much else other than live from day to day.

• Agree 1

On 6/25/2020 at 10:03 PM, ictbob said:

1 plus a kids ticket at the reduced price and when were allowed back give it to a friend or kid that NEVER goes in the hope they may buy one the following season.

Bought my first ST since 07/08 & with youngsters I also bought 1x £46 ticket . Thinking back to our first season in the Scottish league I'm sure it wasn't much more than this for a senior ticket to stand in the Howden End .. £59 is the number in my head and it was hand delivered with 24 hours to spare .. which makes me wonder how many were sold for 94/95. Sadly I no longer have the book to check if there was a number on it to offer a clue. 

2 hours ago, Eye Settee said:

Anyone know how long existing season tickets holders seats are reserved until?

No idea but depending on the rules on social distancing when we are allowed back we might have to space out and not be able to sit in our own seat 

28 minutes ago, IBM said:

No idea but depending on the rules on social distancing when we are allowed back we might have to space out and not be able to sit in our own seat 

Given recent trends in attendance I think social distancing is already in place 🙄

52 minutes ago, Kind of Blue said:

That's my season ticket renewed for another season.  As to when my first game at the stadium will be, who knows?

I think that games with fans is looking much more optimistic now.

The cautious approach we are adopting in Scotland seems to be more effective in suppressing the virus down to very low levels than might have been thought possible a few weeks ago.

I honestly think that if the majority of us continue to be cautious and sensible and follow the regulations and guidance then the Championship season could very well start in October with fans in the stadium, more or less, as normal.

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic