The season ahead

tm4tj

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

I wonder if any studies have been done yet on closed doors matches since football restarted to see if there has been any change in the split of home/away wins? 

https://www.ft.com/content/0243c597-c32c-4cfa-8632-097e8393d229

Mid-July:  "A FT analysis of Premier League matches played “behind closed doors” since games resumed last month suggests, if anything, home teams are performing better than before the pandemic".

Don't know if there is anything more recent.

The sporting advantage may exist at the margins but, say that Covid was running rampant in the Highlands and Moray but controlled elsewhere in the country, does anyone seriously believe that the blazers occupying the fifth floor at Hampden would resist the idea of having fans in the grounds where it would be safe just because ourselves, County and Elgin City would be placed at a disadvantage?

If the government and football authorities could be persuaded to follow the German model then, as I said before, about a third of the teams in the SPFL, all the Highland League teams and a good few Lowland League sides would be advantaged from a financial point of view at a time of financial crisis for the whole game and, leaving aside any marginal putative sporting disadvantage, those clubs not yet able to admit fans would be not a penny worse off than they are now.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, RiG said:

I'd be interested to hear what the uptake has been for the streaming services the Premiership sides have been offering to fans.

5 hours ago, old caley girl said:

A lot of moans re the quality esp over the bridge. 

That's the thing … there's a lot more to successful streaming than people think. Various folk that were at the club whilst we were in the Premiership worked hard to have the technical aspects approved/upgraded then implemented and did manage to put together a pretty good setup. If we still have the same infrastructure in place and we decide to run with it then our home matches should be pretty decent I would have thought as our in-house commentary team last time we tried were a good bunch. Also depends on the broadcaster though. Back then we were able to tap into the raw feed from BBC/SKY etc. and overlay commentary. If that's the same then all bodes well.

Biggest issue might be bandwidth costs and that's why many may fail (or not bother) … if you don't pay for decent bandwidth, you get crappy streaming, lag, buffering all that nonsense .. but bandwidth costs money and good bandwidth cost more money so its a balancing act between service and cost. 

2 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Apparently we're looking at Wallace Duffy who signed for Greenock on loan from St Johnstone the other week and had his contract terminated due to "non football reasons"

Is he a right back?

4 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Apparently we're looking at Wallace Duffy who signed for Greenock on loan from St Johnstone the other week and had his contract terminated due to "non football reasons"

This is in the Dundee Courier. Hard to work out what the catalyst was. I think he can play right back or centre half. He is only 21. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/1593865/st-johnstone-defender-wallace-duffys-loan-to-morton-cancelled/

Isn't the Elgin friendly tonight, I can't see anything on Twitter or anywhere 🤔

Also, Scott Kellacher mentioned in his after match interview from Nairn game that we play Clach tomorrow night where its likely that it'll be a younger team with possible game time for our injury returnees. 

12 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

This season's Challnge Cup has been scrapped. Probably sensible in the circumstances.

No word yet on whether last season's tournament, in which of course we still have an interest, will be completed.

The P & J reported in August that the final was pencilled in for 22nd November with a venue TBC.

16 minutes ago, RiG said:

The P & J reported in August that the final was pencilled in for 22nd November with a venue TBC.

I think there was a hope then that there would be at least a limited number of fans at that time.

Not sure if that pencil mark has now been somewhat snubbed.

8 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

I think there was a hope then that there would be at least a limited number of fans at that time.

Not sure if that pencil mark has now been somewhat snubbed.

Since this season's one has been scrapped it would make more sense to have this final played next April or May when there might be a better chance of having fans there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Very young team tonight, assuming the link works. Brad Mckay playing with only players with much first team experience being Cammy MacKay and Daniel Mackay. Only experienced player on bench is Mark Ridgers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ICTFC/status/1312098064098713601?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^embeddedtimeline|twterm^profile%3AICTFC|twcon^timelinechrome&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcaleythistleonline.com%2Ftopic%2F33786-inverness-ct-v-qos-matchnight-thread%2F

Edited by Robert

12 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Forget who it was who suggested it, but Pittodrie is probably the best choice of venue where the fans can feasibly socially distance and there to be enough room to segregate both sets of fans. Can't see it happening before Christmas though...

Modesty forbids me from reminding you who first made that point.

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic