Favourite away ground

bmills

Saw mention of Ayr's ground on another thread and it got me thinking how it is by far and away the best ground in the country with all the old style terracing.

Wish there were a lot more like that and hope they don't redevelop it or move out any time soon. 

• Like 1

Quite liked Edinburgh City (or should I say Spartans), just has a nice grassroots feel to it. But Victoria Park has to be one of the best in terms of atmosphere, not a fan of the layout and coming up to the seats in the middle of the stand.

As for the mentions of Arbroath, it does have the switching ends which I don't think is found anywhere else at a professional ground (except Ayr, but we haven't been in the goal end stands), but then you're miles from the toilet depending on where you are, and it's going to be cold on evening or winter matches, we just got off lucky that it was a usual kick off and it was decent weather, so it's not a place you'd be wanting to stand about at.

Gayfield for me too. I confess that Victoria Park is also a favourite but that is very largely due to the atmosphere created by a couple of thousand of us there in stark contrast to the lack of atmosphere the few hundred County fans who tend to come to the Longman create.

Edited by Kingsmills

On 6/24/2020 at 12:10 PM, CaleyCanary said:

...and another vote for Gayfield - best kippers, old school terracing and getting hit by the sea spray on a windy day at high tide. 

Better hope they don't hear you calling their Prince of Foods mere kippers.

16 minutes ago, IBM said:

And that's your lesson from Mantis today Robert :lol:

Far more eating in a smokie. Kippers are just appetisers. Mind you I once had 3 kippers and never felt any hungrier afterwards.

11 hours ago, Robert said:

Hang on guys, I just said Arbroath was famous for smokies. I was born there before becoming a Highlander aged 4!!

I rest my case. 

Just crusty old IBM stirring it as usual :whistle:

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Just crusty old IBM stirring it as usual :whistle:

You are right I wasn't out to upset Robert :slapme:

Back on track, there was usually good crack at most of the small grounds coming up through the leagues.  Stark's park was good going from the social club straight into the ground and I remember a policeman helping me to get Willie Philip up into the stand I said he has a bad leg!  My favorite is Dingwall especially when we won in the Derek Adams days :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IBM said:

You are right I wasn't out to upset Robert :slapme:

Back on track, there was usually good crack at most of the small grounds coming up through the leagues.  Stark's park was good going from the social club straight into the ground and I remember a policeman helping me to get Willie Philip up into the stand I said he has a bad leg!  My favorite is Dingwall especially when we won in the Derek Adams days :lol:

Deek 😂 Box office. Mind the 3-3 draw when he nearly self-combusted because we “cheated”.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Deek 😂 Box office. Mind the 3-3 draw when he nearly self-combusted because we “cheated”.

Yes I remember that one just brilliant :cheer01: it felt like a win but we had to wait for the replay which I think we won 2 nil.

• Agree 1

On 6/25/2020 at 1:25 PM, old caley girl said:

I love Tynecastle best even though the steps are very scary near the top! 

In the championship it would be Ayr if I had to pick one. 

You could also pick Tynecastle for a Championship ground. 😂

• Funny 3

11 minutes ago, TopSix said:

My favourite away ground is Ibrox. Not a favourite awayday though. 

A happy hunting ground for ICT and for me. 3 wins, 3 draws and never defeated till the last one, xmas eve 2016. Red Card and Maryhill showed me the Glasgow pubs are nearly as good as the Edinburgh ones :whistle: