Supporting our youth teams

Moogthurso

Is there any response from this supporters group to help support and sponsor the youth teams.

Parents are being asked to support the youth teams by £10 a week. 

Could we not commit to a sum per week to specifically support some kids. 

I would support a weekly stipend for this. 

I seen the P&J article. It read like the club is blaming the parents for the youth academy struggling financially? I would get behind supporting the youth but can I ask why parents are being asked tae pay £40 per month when the youth academy is surely not running currently? Basically asking for money for a service that isn't being provided currently. 

Edited by GogglesWalter

1 hour ago, GogglesWalter said:

I seen the P&J article. It read like the club is blaming the parents for the youth academy struggling financially? I would get behind supporting the youth but can I ask why parents are being asked tae pay £40 per month when the youth academy is surely not running currently? Basically asking for money for a service that isn't being provided currently. 

These are unprecedented times which call for unprecedented measures.

There will, of course, be parents who simply can't afford to pay but those who can should and those in the fortunate position of being able to pay a little more should consider doing so.

Without out Academy the future could be quite bleak.

If any fans group wants to coordinate voluntary payments, I will happily chip in a tenner a week and am sure there will be others on here who would be prepared to do likewise.

• Like 1

This shouldn't be put onto the parents to bridge any shortfall, it was mentioned pre-covid that academy sponsorship was the preferred solution for topping up the excess costs of project brave.

Although downsizing by 50% seems harsh, if funding cannot safeguard the setup as it stands then at least something will still be in place without further jeopardizing the rest of the club.

Jaggie .

Its pretty simple. 

Did Charlie Christie get the transfer money or the club? 

Do we want to take football away from the poorest and give it to those who can afford it. 

Read a little about andy maclarens football charity and think about it. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

If the kids want to play football why shouldn't the parents pay? If your kid wants to do martial arts you pay, swimming you pay, tennis you pay, learn an instrument you pay. Why should this be any different. 

I'd also add computer games to that list. There always seems to be money in any household for that brain numbing nonsense.

As for raising funds, doesn't the Centenary Club support youth football? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Moogthurso said:

Jaggie .

Its pretty simple. 

Did Charlie Christie get the transfer money or the club? 

Do we want to take football away from the poorest and give it to those who can afford it. 

Read a little about andy maclarens football charity and think 

I'd rather the club survived in the league than a youth system which at the moment isn't producing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MorayJaggie said:

I'd rather the club survived in the league than a youth system which at the moment isn't producing.

Fair point that.

4 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

By which measure is the system not producing?

We've had numerous players come through in the past 2 or 3 seasons, in the first team squad & match day bench.

Circumstances and/or the managers unwillingness to play them has restricted opportunity, but there has been players there.

Another problem with our fiscal situation recently means that without the level of reserve football required , the experience they need to get them closer to first team ready is less.

1 hour ago, Satan said:

For whatever reason,  despite years of cutting back our annual losses are still enormous...but that's another thread/story.

Another team to support, however much that extra costs isn't viable.

If there is no pathway for development there is no point in investing in youth.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Exactly!

The youth team should be developed as a feeder for the main squad and priority always given to players developed through our own youth system who reach a certain standard to progress to the first team.

7 hours ago, Satan said:

By which measure is the system not producing?

We've had numerous players come through in the past 2 or 3 seasons, in the first team squad & match day bench.

Circumstances and/or the managers unwillingness to play them has restricted opportunity, but there has been players there.

Another problem with our fiscal situation recently means that without the level of reserve football required , the experience they need to get them closer to first team ready is less.

Only one of note is Daniel Macky. All the others were farmed out to fort William. If they were good enough they would have been in the first team and not just to cover injuries. A bench warmer is not a success story.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

Only one of note is Daniel Macky. All the others were farmed out to fort William. If they were good enough they would have been in the first team and not just to cover injuries. A bench warmer is not a success story.

Daniel Mackay is probably the worst example,  Roddy McGregor and Cammy Harper are two that should have played more than they did, partly due to pressures on gaining promotion back to the top league and partly due to management persisting with average journeymen.

5 hours ago, caleyboy said:

The pathway is there, it's the management teams call as to if and when the youth make it all the way.

If the management team had followed up on the investment of time & money at youth level, played a few of the youngsters on a weekly basis , we would probably be about the same position in the league...but possibly with more money to attract a top player who might have scored the goals to make a difference.

That's how the system should work.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Satan said:

Daniel Mackay is probably the worst example,  Roddy McGregor and Cammy Harper are two that should have played more than they did, partly due to pressures on gaining promotion back to the top league and partly due to management persisting with average journeymen.

The pathway is there, it's the management teams call as to if and when the youth make it all the way.

If the management team had followed up on the investment of time & money at youth level, played a few of the youngsters on a weekly basis , we would probably be about the same position in the league...but possibly with more money to attract a top player who might have scored the goals to make a difference.

That's how the system should work.

Sorry Satan I don't agree with you. Every kid needs a level up from playing in youth football before having a chance in the first team. We need a reserve team where they play with and against men, not an U18/U19 squad where there are kids ,who have no chance of making it. We seem to think numbers is a success but it's not, quality with potential is the answer. I don't blame our management for not giving some a chance but maybe next season he will have no option.

• Agree 2

I know there are economies of scale but at TFC there is an ever expanding pathway that is leading to great results in the academy and its only the first part that costs parents .... 

The 4 entry level paths are pay-to-play and fund coaching and other development in the grey part of the graphic. I have my little guy in the first two (or did until Coronavirus shut them all down) and its not cheap!!

If he continues to love the game, and he is good enough by age 11 to get an invite he would be expected to continue playing in one or more of the 4 paths but there would be no cost to play in selects. Same applies for all levels after that - everything for the player is paid. Parents do however have to fund their own travel to games etc and these could be anywhere in USA/Canada once you reach TFC II level. 

pathway-infographic.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

I know there are economies of scale but at TFC there is an ever expanding pathway that is leading to great results in the academy and its only the first part that costs parents .... 

The 4 entry level paths are pay-to-play and fund coaching and other development in the grey part of the graphic. I have my little guy in the first two (or did until Coronavirus shut them all down) and its not cheap!!

If he continues to love the game, and he is good enough by age 11 to get an invite he would be expected to continue playing in one or more of the 4 paths but there would be no cost to play in selects. Same applies for all levels after that - everything for the player is paid. Parents do however have to fund their own travel to games etc and these could be anywhere in USA/Canada once you reach TFC II level. 

pathway-infographic.jpg

Seeing this really makes me wonder why the SPFL doesn't have regionalised youth leagues for every SPFL club, like ours would be us, C*unty, Aberdeen, Elgin, Peterhead, and Cove. If anything, it cuts back MASSIVELY on transport costs, no weekly trips down to the central belt. Dumps the development league more or less entirely, and the winners of each regionalised league goes into a round robin tournament for the development league title, and gives everyone a fair chance to go for the overall title.

Leagues would be as such;

Highland: Us, C*unty, Elgin, Aberdeen, Peterhead, Cove, Brechin*.

Glasgow: Rangers, Celtic, Partick, Queens Park, St Mirren, Hamilton, Motherwell.

Edinburgh: Hearts, Hibs, Edinburgh City, Dunfermline, Raith, Cowdenbeath, Livi.

Perth: St Johnstone, Dundee, Dundee United, Forfar, Arbroath, Montrose, East Fife.

Kincardine: Stirling Albion, Falkirk, Airdrie, Clyde, Alloa, Albion, Stenny.

Galloway: Morton, Stranraer, Dumbarton, QOTS, Ayr, Annan, Killie.

*Brechin only in Highland section to keep the leagues as even as possible.

• Like 1

When we devalue our youth, we shoot ourselves in the foot. Below extract is from an article on Stuart Armstrong in Dundee's Courier today. Link to full article is below the quote. 

"When the family relocated from Inverness to the outskirts of Dundee, Campbell seized an opportunity that had fallen into his lap.

“I was at Inverness before I came to United,” he said. “I spoke to Scott Kellacher (in charge of the Caley Thistle academy) about us having a look at Stuart and I took an instant like to him. Basically, I asked his dad straight away if he’d like to join us at United.

“I’m not going to lie, I was a bit surprised that Inverness said we could have him for nothing. I thought it would be harder than that.”

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1464488/dundee-united-stuart-armstrong-southampton-scotland/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

35 minutes ago, cif73 said:

When we devalue our youth, we shoot ourselves in the foot. Below extract is from an article on Stuart Armstrong in Dundee's Courier today. Link to full article is below the quote. 

"When the family relocated from Inverness to the outskirts of Dundee, Campbell seized an opportunity that had fallen into his lap.

“I was at Inverness before I came to United,” he said. “I spoke to Scott Kellacher (in charge of the Caley Thistle academy) about us having a look at Stuart and I took an instant like to him. Basically, I asked his dad straight away if he’d like to join us at United.

“I’m not going to lie, I was a bit surprised that Inverness said we could have him for nothing. I thought it would be harder than that.”

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/1464488/dundee-united-stuart-armstrong-southampton-scotland/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't think anyone is devaluing our youth it's just that we can't afford to run a reserve team where they can gain the necessary experience and develope against men.

From what I hear this Project Brave costs an arm and a leg - do the benefits outweigh the costs - if not ditch it and replace it with an affordable youth programme and a Reserve Squad within the same budget.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, caleyboy said:

From what I hear this Project Brave costs an arm and a leg - do the benefits outweigh the costs - if not ditch it and replace it with an affordable youth programme and a Reserve Squad within the same budget.

Was saying the same yesterday. Could we not drop down a level re project brave or just go it alone? 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Was saying the same yesterday. Could we not drop down a level re project brave or just go it alone? 

20 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

I would just go it alone OCG and push hard to get our reserves in the SHFL. We don't have dozens of quality kids so let's concentrate on the ones with potential.

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, caleyboy said:

Project Brave just created more jobs for the boys running it and doesn't improve the quality of the coaching the youngsters get. 

• Agree 1